Oraacle buys Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooly moolah!
crazy2.gif

I think this is much better news for all than having IBM buy us.

I think it's good news for our customers, and for most employees of both firms.

Many implementations of Oracle are done on Sun, so having an even closer relationship means Oracle and Solaris can be integrated in an even better fashion.

I think this provides a better future outlook for SPARC/Solaris, meaning there will be an alternative to IBM or Microsoft in the datacenter for years to come.

My concern about an IBM buyout of Sun is that SPARC/Solaris was less likely in my opinion to be kept around.

There is great value in SPARC and Solaris, I think Java has been or may still be part of Oracle stored procedures, so I think this is a good deal for both parties and for customers.

I think there is less likelyhood for customers being stranded by this deal compared to an IBM/Sun pairing.

Not to mention concerns for folks I work with who are not technical, but managerial were at more risk of being laid off if the IBM/Sun deal went through.

I'm sure there are negatives as well. You either like Oracle or you don't.

But I think over all the positives outweigh the negatives.

I wonder if Oracle will find any use for the mySQL products owned by Sun. Perhaps reaching smaller customer installations where traditional Oracle offerings were too pricey to attract those customers.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
My concern about an IBM buyout of Sun is that SPARC/Solaris was less likely in my opinion to be kept around.

SPARC hardware is Sun's best selling product, no? Why would Oracle shell out that kinda scratch and dump the golden goose?

Oh, that's right: They have no experience in hardware.

I wonder if Oracle will find any use for the mySQL products owned by Sun. Perhaps reaching smaller customer installations where traditional Oracle offerings were too pricey to attract those customers.

That was my first concern, but even in the worst case scenario, there are several forks of MySQL that could rise to ubiquity.

Oracle's database and MySQL, though, are in very, very different markets and have probably evolved to serve those users better than the other could. I cannot see the zillions of LAMP servers (and projects that run on them) out there suddenly shelling out a gazillion bucks to become "LAOP" servers any more than I can see enterprise usage of MySQL.

I don't think Oracle would. IBM would, but I don't think Oracle would do that.

There is less overlap in a Oracle/Sun deal than an IBM/Sun deal, and I think the Oracle/Sun deal will keep more of what is great about Sun intact.

There is less overlap in a Oracle/Sun deal than an IBM/Sun deal, and I think the Oracle/Sun deal will keep more of what is great about Sun intact.

Aye.

My concern of IBM/Sun was that Sun would be "integrated" into IBM and it would become just another cog in AIX and fade away into obscurity.

Oracle and Sun are both great companies; this is best for all.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back