Esso XD-3 Extra for Air Cooled Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading up on the specifications of the 0W-30 and 0W-40 versions of these oils, I see that they are PAO HDEOs. The specifications for the small engines I have (Honda GX610, B&S 7.5 hp, etc) call for the use of SAE 30 engine oil during the summer.

Using Esso Universal HD as an example, the 40/100°C viscosities are 100/11.9 cSt for the Universal HD SAE 30 compared with 69/12.2 cSt for the XD-3 Extra 0W-30. Comparing the viscosity indexes, the SAE 30 is 105 vs 176 for the 0W-30. The 0W-30's pour point is -45°C compared to -24°C for the SAE 30.

This would suggest to me that that the 0W-30 could be used year-round in the Honda engine. However, the BITOG "High Detergent" oil suitable for snowblower thread seems to indicate that 0W-30 oils are unsuitable for temperatures above freezing.

I've repowered my 782 Cub Cadet tractor with the 18 hp Honda engine and use it year-round for with the snow-thrower and mower deck. Is there a good reason why Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 could not be used year-round in place of SAE 30?

I don't get why the manufacturers put that in their oil recommendations that 0W-30 is only good to just abouve freezing. I think they are stuck in some old myths too about 0W oils. I am gonna be using XD3 in my Cub LT1050 with a kohler courage 25hp, this summer.

Old school mentality, and uninformed tech writers still writing 'owner's manuals'.

I would definitely use the xd-3 if it was available.

That's what I was thinking.

The Oil Operating Temperature thread reported an oil temperature while mowing heavy grass in AL of 275°F (135°C). If I were to use Esso Universal HD SAE 30 at 135°C, its viscosity would be 5.72 cSt. The Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 would be 6.49 cSt at that temperature. In comparison, the 0W-40 would be 8.01 cSt at 135°C.

In the Corvair Flat Tappet Oil article:

Originally Posted By: "Widman"
The most important aspect of an oil is its viscosity. To create the correct hydrodynamic cushion for maximum protection for any given velocity, surface area and diameter/tolerance, you need a specific viscosity. In the design of an engine this ideal viscosity is calculated and then recommended. As mentioned above, an oil too thin will not provide enough hydrodynamic lubrication, and an oil too thick will not flow properly. Eventually, as an engine wears, it may be necessary to compensate by slightly increasing this viscosity.

If I were regularly operating at 275°F, the 0W-40 might be a better oil. However, since SAE 30 mineral oil is recommended for all of my air-cooled engines, the 0W-30 would seem to provide the correct viscosity over a wider temperature range.

I used M1 TDT 5w-40 in my Snapper in lieu of the recommended 10w-30 or straight 30. The syn 5w-40 worked great and did not burn off at all! Whereas the 30 weights would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back