Newbie just need some opinion and advice :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all oil experts :)

I bought a 2005 Toyota Sienna 6 months ago.
I like to follow the manufacuter:

- change oil and filter 5000 miles

Am I too lazy??? :)

I like to stay with dino/conventional/regular/less than 1 dollar quart oil.

I can get the following oil easy in town:

Penzoil
Castro
Chevron
Halvoline
Valvoline
Mobil

Please let me know which order you like the above oils best? with what filter? for this minivan.

How about these (on sale often at Schuck's): Chevron $0.49/quart or Castro $0.89?

TIA

Hitman

Chevron
Havoline
Pennzoil
Castrol
Mobil
Valvoline

Chevron's a great oil at .49/quart, I think based on price and performance it's the best bargain out of these oils and you can run it 5,000 miles no problem.

As far as filters go if you want to save money get the Purolator Plus, it's a good filter that is well made, usually around $3.00.

That's about 5 or 6 bucks an oil change???

I have gone 8000 miles on Havoline no problem, but realistically you should change dino every 5000 miles. All the oils you listed are very good oils......choose the least expensive oil, you can't go wrong.

Dollar tree
tropartic
smile.gif

Penzoil
Castro
Chevron
Halvoline
Valvoline
Mobil

Any are good really I would prioritize on what you can get on sale or for free(Watch the product rebates/deals forum here) and run that with a toyota filter.

If you do your 5,000 miles in less than 4 to 6 months, then 5,000 should be alright I guess (too long IMO for a Toyota). If it takes longer than at most 6 months, change it! I believe your manual stipulates 5,000 mile changes or 4 months, whichever comes first to meet warrenty requirements.

Why do you think "this" toyota is not capable of the 6 month 5k miles OCI?
Toyota makes changes almost every year to each vehicle run learning lessons and making constan t improvements. The conservative OCI recomendations is Toyotas short term solution to cover an engineering and design issue that they most likely have resaolves and implemented a change for. .. I think they probably have made some engineering changges to the subsequent models as a long term solution.

Oh yea.. avoid penzzoil it leaves waxy deposits !
tongue.gif

I wud yous thet Castro orl.

Hees a seegar smokin man wat put the dik back in diktater he cud tell dem orl cumpnees to mak da bess er elss.
shocked.gif

[ July 12, 2005, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: jimcor ]

Hi,

Your warrenty states that you get to change the oil every 5k or 6mo until 60k then it's your motor.
grin.gif

I'd have to say the on your list. Price would be a factor and Chevron @ .49 is the best deal!

I only buy my oil on sale and in the last 6 months, Pennzoil was .69 a quart, QS was .69 and Castrol was .89 cents.

If they were all the same price?

I'd list them as;

1. Pennzoil
2. Castrol
3. Havoline/Chevron
4. QS
5. Mobil 5000
6. Valvoline

but the differances between all of them is slight.

Any of them in your Toyota will be just grand.

Enjoy the ride! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Even though Toyota allows 5k/6mo OCIs, If I'm running any of the above, I'm going to stay around 4k for the OCI. If it's a blend, then 5k. I've done alot of UOAs and so far, I think its wise. It's only one more change every 20k miles. (and I drive alot.. 22k on my 9month old Corolla..)
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

PS: Even though Toyota allows 5k/6mo OCIs, If I'm running any of the above, I'm going to stay around 4k for the OCI. If it's a blend, then 5k. I've done alot of UOAs and so far, I think its wise. It's only one more change every 20k miles. (and I drive alot.. 22k on my 9month old Corolla..)
cool.gif

I agree about the 4k or 5k for blend. If I will go 5k, I plan to add a quart of synthetic (same brand) to whichever dino oil being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back