Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how the Edge is does it fall in the same range as Amsoil Royal Purple Red line Etc. I was thinking about running it in my S10

Id be running 5w-30 if that matters

If you do a search, Edge has been discussed quite a bit. I don't believe there are UOA's on the oil, but the VOA's seem fine.

If it was priced at $25 for a 5 quart jug it would probably be a popular oil. At this time it's overpriced compared to Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower.

I would put it more in the category of a Mobil 1 EP.

No one is sure what the base oil is but it does have some PAO in it.

I and a few others are running it now. I don't plan on doing a UOA until 10,000 miles. I have almost 5,000 on it now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I was wondering how the Edge is does it fall in the same range as Amsoil Royal Purple Red line Etc. I was thinking about running it in my S10

Castrol Edge is fully certified to meet the specifications they claim, unlike many of the boutique oils. That does not necessarily make it better, but could make a difference in warranty situations.

There have been recent threads about Royal Purple claiming to be certified, but then having been reprimanded to withdraw those claims. The Amsoil non-100% synthetic oils are certified, but the 100% synthetic ones are only "recommended for applications where XXXXXX [pick your viscosity] is required with the following specifications [then they list the certification specifications that they think are equivalent, which is their way of saying they are not certified and may not completely meet the specifications]."

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: crazycrak

Castrol Edge is fully certified to meet the specifications they claim, unlike many of the boutique oils. That does not necessarily make it better, but could make a difference in warranty situations.

There have been recent threads about Royal Purple claiming to be certified, but then having been reprimanded to withdraw those claims. The Amsoil non-100% synthetic oils are certified, but the 100% synthetic ones are only "recommended for applications where XXXXXX [pick your viscosity] is required with the following specifications [then they list the certification specifications that they think are equivalent, which is their way of saying they are not certified and may not completely meet the specifications]."

Just to be clear RP has never claimed certification when not certified. They may have claimed a product meets certain requirements, like other companies do, but they have never claimed certification where it was not actually true. People are misinterpreting that section from the big BP vs RP NAD ruling. Meets Requirements and Certified are two different things.

Anytime a company communicates a spec (e.g. GM4718M) and it's not on the approval list, it's pure deception. They know very well that people look for the spec and don't try to decipher every word in the sentence containing the spec that is referenced.

Castrol clearly states 90-95% "highly refined base oil" on their MSDS.

It's down to $26 (from $34) on clearance at my Wal-Mart, I'm hoping to wait just a little bit longer and pick up some 10w-30, as it seemed a bit more robust than the 5w-30 in comparing VOA's.

That clearance price isn't bad, but if I was going to pay over $7/qt for motor oil it would be RedLine. Edge is ridiculously priced.

okay,so if it`s on clearance already,that means you probably wont be able to get it at Wal-Mart anymore.Which means if you buy it and like it,it will be like buying the GC.A bit hard to get at times.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy
Anytime a company communicates a spec (e.g. GM4718M) and it's not on the approval list, it's pure deception. They know very well that people look for the spec and don't try to decipher every word in the sentence containing the spec that is referenced.

Castrol clearly states 90-95% "highly refined base oil" on their MSDS.

I respectfully disagree. If the company words it to say meets requirements of XXXX that is not claiming certification. IMO that falls on the consumer for poor reading comprehension skills.

The only deception I see in it is if they do not in fact meet those requirements OR if they claim actual certification when not certified. Otherwise, if they meet the requirements of a standard they simply claim to meet the requirements of then they are being honest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I respectfully disagree. If the company words it to say meets requirements of XXXX that is not claiming certification. IMO that falls on the consumer for poor reading comprehension skills.

A very large percentage of the people on this forum, who a fairly knowledgeable about motor oil compared to the general population, have been deceived by RP and Amsoil in their wording about certification.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

A very large percentage of the people on this forum, who a fairly knowledgeable about motor oil compared to the general population, have been deceived by RP and Amsoil in their wording about certification.
Agree

Last edited:
We are allowed to have civil disagreements:)

Please tell me how you "meet the requirements of" passing a test or series of tests without taking the test(s) in the first place. You either take the test or you don't. You then either pass or you don't. Once passing data from an accredited lab is in hand, the tough part is over.

If you want speced Castrol, buy this...

SLXpro.jpg

At the same price point, I imagine Edge is quite similar, if not the same. In Europe, Edge IS the oem spec oil product.

In the US, obviously Castrol can't put the specs on the store oil and still sell the oem oil for a + premium price.

Think of Edge as generic...Edge.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy
We are allowed to have civil disagreements:)

Please tell me how you "meet the requirements of" passing a test or series of tests without taking the test(s) in the first place. You either take the test or you don't. You then either pass or you don't. Once passing data from an accredited lab is in hand, the tough part is over.

It is pretty simple. All the spec's have requirements and test performance categories the oil must meet or exceed to become certified. Most of those tests are industry standard tests to begin with. They just have varying levels the oil must perform up to. A standard may also require a specific API Service Level as well. Just as with a mfg's oil standard API Service Level requirements are known.

If those requirements are known to the oil company, and their oils already meet/exceed all requirements, they can say they meet the requirements. There is no deception in that whatsoever unless the oil company outright knowingly lies. I can run the Boston Marathon without actually entering it and running on the official day. As long as I complete the course, which is well known to everyone, I can at least say I can run the Marathon. Running the day of the race may make it official with a record but it doesn't mean my running of it on my own invalidates my claim.

Paying GM to have a 5W-30 oil be tested and certified to GM6094M or GM4718M does not make it a better oil nor does it mean an oil that has not been tested by them does not meet/exceed the standard. Certification means very little. It is a great time saver for the average person who doesn't know how to research a standard but that is about it. Certification does NOT make the oil better than a non certified oil. Not being certified does not mean an oil can not meet and/or exceed an oil standard either.

The requirements are know, testing has already been done, so you do or you don't. Paying to have the testing doen again so you can be on the official list doesn't change how good the oil is. If it makes you sleep better so be it. Means squat to me. In our letigious society an oil company would be crazy to say their oil "MEETS" a standard it does not. It would be even crazier to claim actual certification when not certified. I honestly have never seen an oil company claim to be certified when they were not.

A very large percentage of the people on this forum, who a fairly knowledgeable about motor oil compared to the general population, have been deceived by RP....in their wording about certification.

1st of all a very large percentage of the people on this forum who are "supposed" to be knowledgable experts about oil may not be so smart. I think there is a lot of misrepresentation going on right here on these forums. A lot of "deceptive advertising & marketing" going on here at BITOG by some members.
LOL.gif

For the record I do not claim to be one of those oil know-it-all people either. I know the base stuff and I have a lot of experience working in the automotive field so I do think of myself as knowledgable about some of this stuff as it relates to warranty. When it comes to the science behind it all though I am the 1st to admit I don't know much and that I couldn't begin to hold a candle to guys like Johnny and so many others who really are oil smart.
thumbsup2.gif

Many who are suposed to know so much here though, and tout themselves as such or are touted by others, let their personal biases influence what they tell people and it is not always based on rock steady reasoning and/or facts. I have seen so called experts on here trash RP( and other brands )when they have not even used it by their own admission. I admit I like RP and recommend it. I do so based on personal experience with it at least and I never misrepresent that fact( ie; I like it - look at my signature ). People at least know my motives behind my comments.

2nd. I am sorry but I have to call foul on this RP practices deceptive advertising/marketing. I have used that oil for 20 years, and dealt with the people from that company( as a consumer ONLY - I did sell it at one time at a parts store I worked at but no affiliation with the company itself )for almost as long, and I have never seen them be intentionally deceptive and try to fool anyone about their product(s). Please show me honest and irefutable proof that RP has claimed "actual certification status" they do not actually have or been dishonest/deceptive trying to make people think they are certified? What have they done that has fooled people by design in regards to certifications( let's not go into other claims - I am addressing your statement about certifications )?

I have seen them claim to "meet/exceed" a standard( mfg's or API )they are not certified as meeting. Yes, I have seen that. Seen it from other oil companies on a regular basis as well so if you condemn RP and Amsoil for that then please continue the list to include most every oil company who at one time or another used similar "deception". However, I have NEVER seen RP claim to actually be certified to anything they are not.

I saw mention of this in that BP/NAD fiasco and I completely question the claims against RP in that part of it. RP never claimed to actually be certified to the current highest standards as that article floating around says they were charged with. Never saw it on their site, in any of their literature I have/saw, nor on their bottles. A very select few of their oils they did claim to MEET the requirements of the highest API Service Level but that is 100% different than saying they actully were certified to meet them.

RP is actually certified to API SL in some of their weights and those are the ONLY oils they claim certification on. They use the API Donut on their bottles. No deception there, no saying certified to API SM, no real/fake API Starburst lookalike symbols, etc... On their site I have never seen actual claims of being certified on anything they are not either. MEET yes, certified no. Obviously I have not seen every single piece of advertising they have out out but I have seen a lot and I have not seen any of what they are accused of here and by others in regards to false certification claims.

As a matter of fact they seem to really stay on top of those things to try and stay honest. For a long time they had meets/exceeds requirements of GM4718M on their bottles of 5W-30 ( regular not racing ). GM did not change that standard for a long time so API SL would qualify. When GM updated the standard, and API SM became part of it, you saw the claims on RP's bottles go away. Granted it probably took a while for all the bottles with it on the label to disappear from the shelves but they stopped saying it once they no longer could meet the standard due to API Service Level issues.

I realize RP is the resident whipping post oil here that everyone loves to hate. I know what a joy it was to so many when this BP/NAD "B-S" hit the fan. You could hear Champagne corks popping all over BITOG.
happy2.gif
That is fine. People do not have to like it or want to use it BUT please at least stick to accurate commnts about the company and their products when saying you don't like it/them.

Questionable performance gain "marketing claims" are arguable by the detractors but to say RP made false and misleading claims about certifications is just unture. At least in my long experience with them. They are one of the most honest oil companies out there when it comes to stuff like that. Going so far as to NOT recommend a product of theirs when it does not meet all requirements for warranty and such even if it would work fine. RP never puts the consumers best interest behind making money by selling their product at all costs. They have a right to market their product however, the same way ALL oil companies do and if that means saying their product MEETS a standard, even if not actually certified as meeting it, that does not mean the did anything deceptive or dishonest.

My :2cents:

The wind continues to blow - clockwise, going nowhere here.
Please, someone, after they drive 10K, have some Edge oil tested and post here.
55.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back