Yamaha 10 HP Generator Engine - oil rec. request

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Coleman generator with a Yamaha MZ300 - 10 HP engine. Owner's manual specs Yamalube 4 - 10W30 or any 10W30.

Thinking of using just using Mobil1 10W30.

Anyone have experience with the MZ300 engine or have recommendations on oil?

Nice looking engine. IMO, if it's a Yami, it's got to be good. I'm sure it would love any synthetic 30 or 40wt variant as much as it would love any off the shelf 10w30. For long hard use, I'd prolly use Shell Rotella-T 5w40 or a 15w40 HDEO of your choice.
03.gif

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/consumer/pp/engine/lineup/mz300/index.html

Joel

Originally Posted By: durango7
I have a Coleman generator with a Yamaha MZ300 - 10 HP engine. Owner's manual specs Yamalube 4 - 10W30 or any 10W30.

Thinking of using just using Mobil1 10W30.

Anyone have experience with the MZ300 engine or have recommendations on oil?

These days automobile oils have low ZDDP levels and your engine and it's application need 1200-1400 for a long healthy life.

M-1 10W-30 will not cut it.

You ought go with:

-Amsoil 10W-30 SAE 30
-Motul 5W-40
-M-1 15W-50 SilverCap
-Rotella 15W-40

HDEO is mandatory...no if's and's or butts.

...get my drift?

Last edited:
If you are gonna work this engine hard at all or want it to last a long time, I would recommend a more robust oil than regualar M1 10W-30. At least use the M1 10W-30 High Mileage version as you will get a thicker 30 grade and higher antiwear additive level that these hard-working little air-cooled engines need.

Regular passenger car oils, conventional or synthetic, will probably work for a long time under normal conditions, but I like the added protection of one of the heavier duty oils mentioned so far. One more to consider is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 with the "European" on the label. This is the popular GC or german castrol(made in Germany)that folks here talk about. It is a very good choice as well and can usually be found at AutoZone or Pep boys.

Thanks for the responses. Thinking about Rotella 5W40 or maybe another syn HDEO. I like the higher ZDDP and Moto oil suggestions too. Not really concerned about price since it only takes 1.16 qts of oil.

Haven't really broken it in yet. Just put in the standard Coleman 30 weight that it came with and ran it for about an hour. I will only use it for backup emergencies so don't expect it to be worked too hard.

I haven't seen much info on these Yamaha engines on the web except for what JTK posted earlier.

I use Rotella 10w-30 CJ4 in all my air cooled engines.

It is 10w-30 per engine requirements.
It has a HTHS of 3.5 +
Cost for 5 qt. at Wal-Mart is approx. $10.00

Rotella 10W30 or another HDEO like Delvac 10W30 might be nice for a good break-in. Thinking of using dino HDEO and maybe moving to a syn HDEO but not sure if it is worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back