All season w/ good snow traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Winter tires = winter roads

For such a stubborn bunch of folks when it comes to OCI's and such, I have no idea why it's so trendy around here to half-arse it with the only four points of contact on the road...

Quoting myself, because some people don't get the hint.

Eventually, insurance companies will begin SUEING their members that get into winter-related accidents do to lack of snow tires. To me, lack of a snow tire equals lack of due-diligence.

At least up here.
wink.gif

Quoting myself, because some people don't get the hint.

Eventually, insurance companies will begin SUEING their members that get into winter-related accidents do to lack of snow tires. To me, lack of a snow tire equals lack of due-diligence.

At least up here.
wink.gif

Should they also sue their customers when they still have those winter tires on dry roads and get into trouble? Do I need to keep a set of performance tires on the roof? As everyone knows dry roads=slicks. Some all-seasons actually are good enough for the conditions some people can expect to see. Be careful with the broad-brush.

Originally Posted By: calvin1

Should they also sue their customers when they still have those winter tires on dry roads and get into trouble? Do I need to keep a set of performance tires on the roof? As everyone knows dry roads=slicks. Some all-seasons actually are good enough for the conditions some people can expect to see. Be careful with the broad-brush.

All season tires are not as flexible when temperature are sub-zero (below 32F). The "all-season" compound get hardened. Hence, the grip is reduced even in dry wall, as well as wet. You should try this!
Temperature: 0F/-18C
attempt to make a hard stop at about 50mph, the tires skid and/or requires longer stopping distance even on dry roads.

Last edited:
Eventually, insurance companies will begin SUEING their members that get into winter-related accidents do to lack of snow tires.

Why bother when you can just keep the rates hiked up enough to cover the potential repairs and forget about such enforcement?

With that said, I've heard there are many mountain roads on which authorities will prevent you from proceeding during winter if you don't have proper tires/chains, but that's more on a local/park level. And I agree with that.

Personally, I got by this winter on all-season tires because I drove very little, but it wasn't fun. Now that I have space for a second set of wheels/tires, I will most likely get dedicated winters before next season.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
All season tires are not as flexible when temperature are sub-zero (below 32F). The "all-season" compound get hardened. Hence, the grip is reduced even in dry wall, as well as wet. You should try this!
Temperature: 0F/-18C
attempt to make a hard stop at about 50mph, the tires skid and/or requires longer stopping distance even on dry roads.

I think you're generalizing a bit. Not all all-season tires are created equal and made of the same rubber compounds, hence not all get equally affected. If we're talking about UHP all-season, I'd probably agree with you, but not Nokian WR for example, which is still classified as an all-season tire, but remains soft and grippy when the temperatures drop below freezing. I'm sure there are other examples.

I'll stick by my original statement. Those Michelin X-radials I have on my subaru gave me no trouble all winter long. Again maybe won't perform the greatest in Canadian winters, but for people who choose not to spend all kinds of $$$ on two sets of tires, a properly chosen A/S tire will be just fine..

However as you said, some A/S tires are just horrible. BFG Radial T/As for example. I had those on my RMS because they came on the car. Since I bought new rims I got wise and spent less money and got Winterforces. Great tires for the 4000lb boat, and the wagon owner I sold them too after I stopped driving the car in the winter was throughly impressed with them.

Last edited:
I put a set of 4 Goodyear tripple tracks on my wifes 03 Grand am .........the original OEM tires were horrble in rain , ice & light snow. my wife has brain cancer & is in radiation oncology ..in march we had a haevy wet snow approx 8", the street had yet to be plowed....... had to get her to treatment , was able to drive the lengh of ny street ( 3 tenths mile ) unplowed with no traction problem ............ all I say is worked for me & "Semper Fi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back