JWS-3309 ATF Specification

hal

My vehicle, a 2000 Volvo V70, has an Aisin-Warner AW55 transmission that requires a fluid compatible with JWS-3309 spec. Mobil 3309 is one option, as is Amsoil Synthetic ATF, and I have heard that Toyota Type T/IV is acceptable but unable to verify. The ones which I do know are compatible, are hard for me to obtain locally. Does anyone know of a widely-marketed ATF that meets or exceeds JWS-3309 specification?

Thank you for the information

T-IV IS JWS3309. I have not heard of others that are compatible with T-IV. Yet many people report no problems using some products such as Amosoil, Redline D4, and others. I know of two "local" brands that claim to meet T-IV specs, but I don't believe them.

FWIW i have always found T-IV form the dealer cheaper or the same price as off-the-shelf products.

Last edited:
I currently use the Amsoil flavor, works great however the local Amsoil dealer seems to have disappeared. Volvo's ATF is EXTREMELY expensive. So T/IV from a Toyota dealer is the same thing? It is about half the price. I have seen ATF in parts stores that claim T/IV compatibility but I'm not sure I believe it either. Darn picky tranny....

From the limited information I have read here and elsewhere, Some Volvo Aisin-warner tranny's can/do use T-IV as it is JWS3309. there are folks on here who know a lot more than I do who I am hoping will chime in on this. I don't want to steer you off the proverbial cliff with my limited knowledge

Have you checked a reputable volvo forum on ATF choices?

Last edited:
ive seen that site before, actually. still looks like toyota type t/iv is the right thing to use. some of the things on that page are contradictory to things ive found elsewhere. i'll probably just go to a toyota dealer at this point.

Last edited:
i found this info about it: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59321&page=5

that thread has pages and pages of comments on this topic. at this point i am thinking i may dislike the way a mobil-made 3309 fluid performs in comparison. if it makes shifts less positive or slower, i wouldn't consider that beneficial at all. but i'm due for a flush so i may try. i also just e-mailed amsoil about this, will post their reply.

Originally Posted By: hal
I currently use the Amsoil flavor, works great however the local Amsoil dealer seems to have disappeared.

You could always get it from a BITOG Sponsor Amsoil Dealer. I can hook you up.

Amsoil's Reply:

Thank you for giving AMSOIL the opportunity to answer your email.

In response to your questions; The JWS-3309 fluid has a medium amount of frictional modifiers, the Dextron III also has a certain amount of frictional modifiers also in the medium range. Both of the fluids frictional properties overlap each other and the Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid was designed in regards to meet both of the fluids frictional properties, the overlap and other fluid requirements. In summary, you will not have a problem using this fluid in an automatic transmission requiring this spec.

Thank you again for contacting AMSOIL and if you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again via email or over the phone with the Technical Services department.

----------------

I asked Amsoil how their Universal ATF is compatible with something like a Dex3 and 3309. Their response pretty much answered it I suppose.

I am getting the Toyota fluid for my next ATF change. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, as my research has also shown that the T/IV fluid is exactly the same as a 3309 fluid.

Originally Posted By: hal
I have heard that Toyota Type T/IV is acceptable but unable to verify.
hal, I have a copy (on another computer at work) of a Mazda tech bulletin from 2005. In it, Mazda states that at that time they didn't have a sufficient quantity of 3309-compatible fluid on hand to service their vehicles which required it, and provides a list of acceptable fluids. Toyota T-IV is on that list.

My niece's 2006 Ford Fusion also has an Aisin transaxle that requires that fluid, which Ford sells for $9.50/qt. My local Toyota dealer gets $5.36/qt. Where do you think I went?

hal,
I have run the T-IV and the Amsoil in mine. I prefer the Amsoil. If you have been running Amsoil, I think you will be disappointed in the feel with the T-IV.

Last edited:
New formula Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
suitable for TOYOTA T-IV & JWS 3309.

but I cannot sure Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF & Mobil 3309 ATF
which is better for Aisin AW FWD 4speed 60 Series
with SLIP LOCK-UP.

$4.50 a quart at your Local Toyota dealer. Why bother paying markup for the same fluid? You can see it's a Mobil bottle also.

001-6.jpg

Amsoil used to have a little note at the bottom of their recommendations page that said "Not for use in Volvo 5 speed transmissions." It has since been removed.

I have heard many things about hard shifting when using the Amsoil universal ATF.

I, personally, have used Volvo 1161640 (I work at a dealer), Mobil3309, and BG synthetic universal ATF.

I have never had a transmission failure or complaint on any of those fluids. I'm a little apprehensive about the BG product though. I had it in my car and it never felt right, so it was flushed out shortly after using it (I was given a free case to sample.)

My recommendation, get the Mobil3309 or get to know a Volvo parts pro so you can get the employee discount on some of the genuine stuff.

5134"]

which is better for Aisin AW FWD 4speed L]
[/QUOTE]

Matthews volvo site user experience with Mobil 3309 atf n synthetic is DONOT USE on volvo trannys. The best jws 3309 volvo cert appears to be dexron 3, and Toyota T-iv atf for 5 bucks/L.
Matt site other advice is dex6 is reverse compatible to dex 3 n full synthetic.

So I'll either flush 8L w dex3 or toy T-iv then fill 7.6L dex6 full syn. N let everyone know how it turns out.

5134"]

which is better for Aisin AW FWD 4speed L]

Matthews volvo site user experience with Mobil 3309 atf n synthetic is DONOT USE on volvo trannys. The best jws 3309 volvo cert appears to be dexron 3, and Toyota T-iv atf for 5 bucks/L.
Matt site other advice is dex6 is reverse compatible to dex 3 n full synthetic.

So I'll either flush 8L w dex3 or toy T-iv then fill 7.6L dex6 full syn. N let everyone know how it turns out.
[/QUOTE]

1. I can’t tell what you’re saying.
2. This thread is 11 years old, so, I don’t see what value you’re adding.
3. I’ve got three cars with the Aisin Warner AW55, I can help you with fluid selection.
4. In what model Volvo are you putting new fluid?

AutoZone is liquidating Idemitsu TLS fluid for T-IV specced transmissions, 2 bucks a quart.

Good time to stock up, even if you don’t own a car with an aisin transmission it should be more than enough for power steering and is stated to be backwards compatible for t-iii (dexron ii and iii) applications.

Back