New 4Runner needs new tires..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK2

As I've said on my other post, we just bought a 96 4Runner Sr5 V6 with 15' stock wheels. The car was not driven for 2 years and the tires shows some cracks!

Please help me find a set of good (and cheap
55.gif
)tires, the size should be 225 75 R15.

Thanks in advance!!!

I had a 97 Nissan Pathfinder. I went with BF Goodrich tires, kept the vehicle until 4 weeks ago. Put a ton of miles on them and they still have tread left. Tires were 6 years old And not too bad riding.

If you want cheap and decent, Walmart sells the Goodyear Wrangler Radial in that size for about $65-75 each. You could probably be out the door for $350 or so.

235/75-15 tires will fit as well and there is a large selection in that size to choose from. You might find a better deal with 235's.

We just purchased a set of Firestone Destination LE's for the GF's 05 Mercury Mariner. Took them on a 1000 miles trip this week. The tires are very good for the money. They are quiet except on old smooth concrete, and not that bad on it. Did real well on the crooked and steep roads of NW Arkansas. Steering response was very predictable and consistent. Only ran through some very light rain, but the tires did not feel slick. The total with a alignment and lifetime balance and rotation was $497.00. We feel that we got a good deal. They are rated quite well on the Tire RAck reviews.

How about the Kumho Solus KR21? Discount tires is selling them for $335 out the door.

I will check those Goodyear Wrangle and Firestone tomorrow.

Thanks

Kumho Solus KR21 is a good tire, $335 out the door means including installation, balance, old tire disposal and tax is very good price.

More details on what you want out of the tires would be helpful. I am currently running three different tires available in that size for various reasons.

All terrain traction, excellent all around tire: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. Excellent dry weather, rain, snow handling. Decent ice handling. Great off road, but not a Mud tire. A bit noisier than all season tires, but not loud. I've gotten excellent wear from these, including 75,000 miles on a full size pickup.

Mid Range all terrain: Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695 Replacement for the old D693 tire. Very quiet for an all terrain, good road and off road manners. Done very well in rain, snow, and ice, though not quite as sure footed in the rain as the Revo. Cheaper than the REVO's, with equivalent mileage rating (50,000 miles) as the REVO. I've been happy so far...

All-Season: Firestone Wilderness A/T: Low price, extremely quiet, excellent dry and rain Traction. OK in loose snow, terrible in packed snow or ice. A good tire if winter is not a huge concern. I bought these for an explorer to keep the price down and to try and keep the fuel mileage up from an all terrain. Longer treadlife warranty too (60,000 miles).

Good luck!

Great info there gopher!

Since, my budget is limited, I narrow my choices to the Kr21 for $335 out the door or the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tour for $405 after rebate.

What do you guys think?

Yeah they look like a car tire, but I will use this vehicle mostly for city/highway driving.

Last edited:
Quote:
Isn't that Kumho a car tire? S

The original tire is load rated at 102S. The K21 I looked at is rated 102T, so more than close enough.

If we want to argue tire load rating, my grand marquis, which scales at 4150lbs (vs curb weight of ~3600lbs for the 4runner--mfg spec, no idea what they scale real world) has an oem tire with a load rating of 97S (definately less than it should be, but its enough to keep the lawyers happy...).

Alex.

Originally Posted By: Loopie
Great info there gopher!

Since, my budget is limited, I narrow my choices to the Kr21 for $335 out the door or the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tour for $405 after rebate.

What do you guys think?

The BF's Long Trails come standard on my Nissan X-Terra. They wear well and are good for dry roads only. If you are riding highways with little rain and no snow they are OK. If you get any amount of rain or snow - they are terrible!! Hydroplaning is downright scary when the roads are wet! They stink in snow and mud too. I have no opinion on the Kr21's. When I replace mine I'm getting the Cooper Destination ATR's!!

My summer tires are BFG Long Tail T/A's on my 'Burb. When new, they were good dry, okay in the rain and snow. Now that they have about 35,000 miles on them, they are horrible in the snow, and rain. I have actually broke the rear tires loose in rain with relative ease, which is saying a lot if you knew how heavy the rear of my Suburban is, and it has locking diff.

When these tires are worn out, I will not buy them again.

We just intalled Kuhmo KR21's on out civic. They are decent so far, good in the rain and not bad in the snow (we had a couple of late snow falls after we took the winter tires off). Personally, I wouldn't install them on a 4Runner, but I am sure they'll be fine if you stick to on road use. I'd certianly take them over the Long Trials.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Quote:
Isn't that Kumho a car tire? S

The original tire is load rated at 102S. The K21 I looked at is rated 102T, so more than close enough.

102 is the load rating, the "S" and "T" are the speed ratings. Both tires have the same load rating but the Kuhmo's are rated for higher speed (S=112 MPH(180km/h) T=118MPH (190km/h).

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
My summer tires are BFG Long Tail T/A's on my 'Burb. When new, they were good dry, okay in the rain and snow. Now that they have about 35,000 miles on them, they are horrible in the snow, and rain. I have actually broke the rear tires loose in rain with relative ease, which is saying a lot if you knew how heavy the rear of my Suburban is, and it has locking diff.

When these tires are worn out, I will not buy them again.

We just intalled Kuhmo KR21's on out civic. They are decent so far, good in the rain and not bad in the snow (we had a couple of late snow falls after we took the winter tires off). Personally, I wouldn't install them on a 4Runner, but I am sure they'll be fine if you stick to on road use. I'd certianly take them over the Long Trials.

Thanks man! I was really leaning towards the BF's Long Trail, but my local Discount Tires doesn't have them in stock. So I went with the Kuhmo KR21s with 235 75 15 instead of 225 75 15.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks BITOGers!

So here they are. I decided to go with the Kumhos, I got them $375 out the door. Not that "agressive look," but they're cheap and quiet.

Thanks!

oiladdict.jpg

bitoger.jpg

That looks A LOT better than I thought it would. Very classic So Cal. 235 was def the right choice.

I like the custom front plates, too. Can't wait to hear what the Chippies think of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back