motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the testing FMC did on their engines with the MC 5W20 you should be fine.

Synthetic oil is better at extreme temperatures. MC 5w20 is good for normal conditions but any synthetic will be better when you tow a trailer or stuck in traffic in 100+ degree F.

No, the vct operation on these modulars are operated using an algorithm based on the viscosity of a 20 weight oil. The VCT operation does not engage until ~40F and from 30 to 60 seconds from start depending on last start/temperature. Therefore 20w50 at 50F is way to viscous for the VCT and will through an engine code. At operating temperature, 20w50 will still be much more viscous than 5w20 and will stray from the PCM's feedback algorithm. The hydrodynamic film thickness difference between 5w30 and 5w20 is 0.000007" at max load. As for MC 5w20 blend, it is unusual in that is made of a base oil that has a purity greater than the hydroprocessed "synthetics" and properties that exceed the base stock of these other branded "synthetic" oils. By definition it is a groupII+/groupIII blend that appears to perform similarly to best synthetic brands (PP,Castrol, etc) in in UOA. Another observation is that it also contains a much higher level of the Boron additive than other motor oils.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
No, the vct operation on these modulars are operated using an algorithm based on the viscosity of a 20 weight oil. The VCT operation does not engage until ~40F and from 30 to 60 seconds from start depending on last start/temperature.

A thicker oil only has an impact on the transient behavior of the VCT. VCT will work just fine with a 10W-30, and some VCT Modulars in other markets are factory recommended to run just that.

Quote:
By definition it is a groupII+/groupIII blend that appears to perform similarly to best synthetic brands (PP,Castrol, etc) in in UOA.

Motorcraft Syn Blend is a group II/III blend, with about 20% being group III. On par with PP? Not even close. PP is a group III (also containing some group IV/V according to some here) oil with a higher TBN and far more detergents than MC Syn Blend.

Quote:
Another observation is that it also contains a much higher level of the Boron additive than other motor oils.

MC's boron level is right on par with Pennzoil YB, and nowhere close to Delo 400 LE's level for example.

The VCT will work, but not properly. The flow/lubrication to the timing chain will be impeded by the higher viscosity.

Where does Ford recommend a higher viscosity in the same exact engine in another market? There isn't an owner's manual to back that up, just word of mouth.

Group IV/V doesn't make it a better oil. Don't believe PP uses these base oils and you can't prove that they do, unless you work there and know the proprietary blend.

Probably so, just an observation that it contains Boron while most others don't.

Last edited:
Where does Ford recommend a higher viscosity in the same exact engine in another market? There isn't an owner's manual to back that up, just word of mouth.

It's not word of mouth, and yes there are owners manuals to back it up.

2003+ Ford Fairlanes and Fairmonts (Barra 220/230 5.4 3V) were factory recommended to run just that.

Quote:
The VCT will work, but not properly.

The VCT will work great with a 5W-30. Ask Ford of Australia or my buddy with a 600 rwhp Whipple 3V. Scott Whitehead said during his testing of the 4.6 3V the VCT was verified to work with up to a 10W-40.

Quote:
The flow/lubrication to the timing chain will be impeded by the higher viscosity.

lol.gif
No it won't.

Quote:
Group IV/V doesn't make it a better oil. Don't believe PP uses these base oils and you can't prove that they do, unless you work there and know the proprietary blend.

There have been Pennzoil formulators on this site in the past. Yes, PP is a hands down better oil than MC Syn Blend.

Quote:
Probably so, just an observation that it contains Boron while most others don't.

Boron replacing moly is quite commonplace lately.

I have run 5-30 since 1500 miles in my 07. it now has 62k on it and has never been into the shop or needed any type of repair. I call [censored] on this entire thread. But 20-50 is way to thick for any production engine these days. I live where it's 120 degress you tell me my group IV oil doesn't flow better then MC syn blend 5-20......my Arse

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: BoostFiend
Do NOT run 20-50 weight in these engines, the hydraulic lash adjusters are not designed to run this thick of oil and will cause them to not be able to bleed down correctly. Also with the tight tolerences of this engine can cause oil starvation to certain parts expecially at high rpm

Please stick to 5-20, 5-30, 0-20, 0-30 weights

So, do people who use 5w-20 run into these issues @ 50F? That's when a 5w-20 is heavier than a 20w-50 @ 100F. They're equal @ about 95F (95f for the 20w-50 and 50F for the 5w-20 -if I used the visc calc correctly)

You've got to put this "tight clearances" thing in perspective. It's the same partial myths about VTEC and whathaveyou. If anyone has issues with a higher visc oil at operating temp ..then they HAVE TO HAVE the exact same issue with a lighter oil at a cooler temp. He's in Texas, not Nebraska.

This is NOT a recommendation for the use of 20w-50 oil. Merely an attempt to get people to adjust their views that may be constructed from "notions". He should use 5w-20.
grin2.gif

A picture to help you see why there is an acceptable viscosity range for the VCT/design of these modulars.

I bet right now, that Bens redline 5-30 flows better cold, hot and everywhere in between compared to MC going through the orffice. This thread has driven me to drinking. Time to make a captain and coke.....it's gonna be a long night

I just changed my wifes oil today. Used MC 5w20 Syn Blend with a Pureone filter. I trust it enough to be a high quality oil for winter use. Especially on a budget.

Agree 5w30 would work, all owner's manuals in every market where the f150 5.4l 3v is sold has 5w20 recommendation. Only Venezuela mentions 5w30 may be used if 5w20 is not available, but then mentions it isn't optimal for performance/durability.

I myself am a little conflicted on the issue. But at the same time see all the design reasons for the 5w20.

It is a great product but I argue the must of the 5-20 instead of 5-30. My sig right now shows my 07 with 5-30 in it and it has for 60500 miles.

Been a ford Diesel tech for 8 year before opening my diesel shop. Been around enough tech to know this is not even remotely a fact.

Common sense of oil as we all know group 3-4 and 5 5-30's will likely flow better then a 5-20 especially those on the lower end of the vis chart .

Ford did build the 3 Valves to run 5-20, but with the right product there is very little difference if any in flow or weight for that matter. I do not see performace or reliability haveing any issue with 5-30

Last edited:
A picture to help you see why there is an acceptable viscosity range for the VCT/design of these modulars.

lol.gif
Why would I need pictures, I've been playing with Modulars for 15 years. I know these engines like the back of my hand.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Time to make a captain and coke.....it's gonna be a long night

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back