Normal temp for an automatic transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fifty150

Ford now specs their automatic transmissions to run on Mercon V. Be sure that whatever ATF you use, it meets Mercon V specs, not just Mercon. Red Line makes Synthetic D4 ATF & Synthetic High-Temp ATF, both of which meet Mercon V specs. Red Line Synthetic ATF & Synthetic D6 ATF meet Mercon specs, not Mercon V specs. When in doubt, or you just want to play it safe, you can always use the Motorcraft Mercon V ATF.

I don't know if the BG synthetic meets Mercon V specs, but I think it came out after Mercon V was already in wide use. The truck shifts fine with it...the same as it did on the previous two fills of Mercon V. I think when the truck is between 80K-90K miles I'll do another flush with BG full synthetic, get a deep pan, and change the filter. The filter has to be changed if I get the pan anyway since it requires a 4WD transmission filter.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
What's a "typical" operating temperature for an automatic transmission?

Depends on the trans and where you take the reading...

Unless someone else has the same setup as yours to compare, you might be comparing apples to oranges.

As noted, typically you want under 200*F...there was a trans fluid life chart based on temperature, but I don't know if that includes the newer trans fluids or just Dexron III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back