UOA 7.3 F250 @ 294,444 mi Rotellla T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otto: If it weren't for the minor level of potassium, this would be a perfect report. All wear looks
great and generally read below average levels, showing no mechanical problems. Universal averages
show typical wear from this type of engine after about 5,200 miles use on the oil. Potassium could
show a little anti-freeze getting into the system, so keep a close eye on your coolant level. No fuel
dilution or excess soot was present. Even if potassium is from anti-freeze, it won't hurt anything at this
level, so we suggest just resampling in 5,000 miles to monitor.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 1
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 29
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 11
BORON 30
SILICON 3
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 2601
MAGNESIUM 7
PHOSPHORUS 1001
ZINC 1147

BARIUM 0

This is part of a report from Blackstone. Thre truck it is from has 294,511 mi on it. Shell Rotella T 15W-40W Dino has been used since new and changed every 4,000 along with filter. No oil usage or leaks between changes. Truck has never been in shop.

That is a good looking report. I wouldn't worry about the potassium yet, every once in a while some sneaks into a batch of oil in high levels. I see that in bulk oil we run at work. If it doesn't go up in the next UOA you are good.

I hope my 7.3 looks like that at 295K miles!

I'm hoping the potasium is from a fuel additive I have been using. The lab said to send some of it and they would sample it as they were curious also

New UAO withAmsoil AME 15w-40 with 13,000mi on oil for comparison

Amsoil 15W- 40

Iron 23
Chronimum 1
Nickle 0
Alu 4
Copper 3
Lead 2
Tin 0
Cadium 0
Silver 0
Vandium 0
Silicon 6
Sodium 14
Potasium 4
Titanium 0
Molybdeum 7
Antimony 0
Magnisum 0
Lithum 0
Boron 9
Magnesium 17
Calcium 4065
Barium 0
Phoshorus 1445
Zinc 1566

TBN 5.45
Vis 13

Truck now has 320,000mi on it. No coolant and no fuel in oil
I switched back to Shell before I got this sample. Cost for oil & filter
was $66.00. So for runnig 12,000 mi with Shell cost would have been$198.00 The Amsoil retail price @ with the Eao99 filter $253.00

Last edited:
You don't see a whole lot of oil anaylsis with high mile on the vehicle. My wife has a 7.3 Powerstroke I hope it does as good as yours. You could go longer with the Amsoil as the tbn is good. Again she is looking good.

When I found out that Ford was going to change the engines I almost went and bought another truck with a 7.3 but I really liked my Toyota so I didn't.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
When I found out that Ford was going to change the engines I almost went and bought another truck with a 7.3 but I really liked my Toyota so I didn't.

When they changed or "upgraded" Ford blew it. Thats why I bought the DMax.

I have 1 which was done at 32,000.mi.
OTTO: It brings a smile to our face when we get to give good news to new customers. We have only good things
to say about your Duramax at 32,228 miles. Wear read normally and in the proper balance, which indicates that your
engine is operated and maintained well. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~6,400 miles. No harmful
contaminants were found and the air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well. The TBN was strong at 8.1
so you had plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is low. Try 10,000 miles next time. It shouldn't be a problem.

I ran Rotella in Dmax until 24,000 mi to break it in. then switched to Amsoil. I have been slowly increasing miles on oil. I plan to do another UOA on Dmax in another 6,000 mi. I will post the results then with 15,000 mi on Amsoil in Dmax

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back