Repower an old Toro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Toro self-propelled mower with the Suzuki 2-stroke engine that I bought new way back in 1985. I love that mower but the engine is worn out and will only start with a shot of starting fluid and seems to be down on power. It has also developed a knock that sounds like a rod or crank bearing. The deck is still good.
Should I look into rebuilding the 2-stroke or is there a 4-stroke available as a direct replacement? The mower model # is 20680 and smallenginewarehouse.com does not list a replacement for this model. I would love to keep this old mower. Any suggestions?

Good luck in finding parts to rebuild that old Suzuki 2-stroke, especially at a decent price. A good Toro dealer should be able to help you find a replacement 4-stroke engine for it.

I have revived 2 weedeaters a chainsaw and the neighbors leaf blower. All were 2 stroke engines that had to be started with ether or some crazy formula which mostly included pulling your brains out.

I fixed them all by using redline 2 stroke racing oil. mixed at 50:1 then gradually building up to 32:1

The redline cleans out the chambers and runs much smoother than the dino 2 stroke oil.

I converted an old Toro from a Tecumseh to a Briggs engine. There are adapter plates available. Your local small engine repair shop should have them in stock or order one for you. I paid 13 bucks for mine about 10 years ago. I made a plug for the hole in the deck (the Tec engine had a muffler that exited below the deck, so don't know if yours is like that) with a freeze plug.

There is a Toro dealer in the Midwest that restores and paints Suzuki Powered mowers into like new condition. That is an option. I bought one 3 years ago and had it shipped to me for around $500 - $550 shipped. You would think it was a brand new, out of the box mower. PM me for more information. Suzuki parts can be quite expensive (I have heard that new coils are over $100 - though I never had to replace one).

I also own a 2 cycle, Suzuki Powered Snowblower and two Lawn Boy 6 1/2 HP, 2 cycle mowers. The Suzuki 2 cycle was highly coveted by Landscapers in its day. If you have never heard the sound of one in a mower, just go out and listen to the sound of an inboard boat engine. Sounds nothing like any other mower to me. I have been caught just running the engine in the garage in winter - just to hear it run.

Thanks for the responses. I have not had a good experience with the local Toro dealer but I guess that is where I should start.

Last year my 10 year old snapper's tecumseh sheared the cam gears.

I repowered it with a honda GCV190 for around $200 and am very happy with it. I got it here.

I was surprised it started first pull this season, on last season's gas (with stabil in it).

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Last year my 10 year old snapper's tecumseh sheared the cam gears.

I repowered it with a honda GCV190 for around $200 and am very happy with it.

That had to turn it into the Cadillac of Snappers! MUCH quieter and smoother I'm sure. I know the old Tecumseh powered RER's tended to be obnoxiously LOUD.

Joel

RER = rear engine rider? Mine is a walk behind, but it was kinda loud too.

The honda is quieter, and it has a ton of power. At the time, I couldn't find the GCV160 with a 25mm shaft, so I got the GCV190. Its 6.5 HP on a 21" deck. It quietly chugs through thick wet grass without slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back