Anyone have Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am in the market for new tires for my 2006 Impala SS and have narrowed my choices to 3 tires. Goodyear Eagle GT's, Pirelli Nero AS, and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS's.
The Michelins are $45.00 more per tire and was wondering if anyone can comment on any of these three tires, and tell me if the Michelins are worth the extra money!
Thanks in advance,
Pete

A good alternative is Michelin Primacy MXV4, closer in price to other brand tires.
SEARS has sale every month for Michelin with free mount/installation and same price as TIRERACK.com, so find a local tire place that will match SEARS and total out the door price for Michelin is not much higher.
I just got new MXV4 to replace Eagle GT, so I know Michelin is much better.
Michelin has zero vibration in steering wheel on highway, and Eagle always had vibration even after 3 balances.

Is carwreck talking about the NEW Eagle GT? I have some Pilot Sports and they are great, but are somewhat dated. Look at the staff tests of the Eagle GT and it's pretty convincing they are potentially a great tire. I believe they will be my next purchase. I also have Eagle Response Edge, they are really awesome, maybe better than the Pilots.

I was looking at the michelins. I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole position instead, and they are great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
First question-How do you drive?

At times aggressive, but overall most of my acceleration is straight line and not real hard in the corners. I want a tire that will do ok in the snow here in Western Pa. also as well as give decent wear. The stock RSA's that came on the car are about shot at 24,000 miles. They are just OK, I would never buy them again though, as Goodyear is asking $260.00/tire for them. Ridiculous!

The Michelin (as well as the Bridgestone mentioned above) will grip way better than the stock RS-A in all conditions. It might even ride better. You'll feel like you have a new car.

I'm not sure about tread life; I'd imagine they'd last about as long as the RS-A. Don't plan on having more grip and longer tread life.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was looking at the michelins. I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole position instead, and they are great.

I looked at them , but unfortunately they don't come in a 235/50/18. I wish they did. They get stellar reviews!! Thanks

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The Michelin (as well as the Bridgestone mentioned above) will grip way better than the stock RS-A in all conditions. It might even ride better. You'll feel like you have a new car.

I'm not sure about tread life; I'd imagine they'd last about as long as the RS-A. Don't plan on having more grip and longer tread life.

Thanks! Ya unfortunately I am kind of limited on choices for 235/50/18. I always get the weird size tires!!
Pete

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The BFG is only $109, w/AA wet traction.

Ya I saw that. Trying to figure out if they are decent tires for the money. Thanks for the info.

I recently sold my Pilot Sport 2's to a friend that wanted them and installed the Pilot sport A/S plus on my Subaru. They are exceptional.... I am yet to have them in any snow, but so far I have noticed any lack of performance. In fact they are better here in Vegas, that always has a light dusting of fine dust on the roads. All the edging and siping of the A/S dig in noticeably better under hard braking.

On a clean dry road the PS2 was incredible, but for my daily, the A/S has been a choice I have not regretted.

I've had my Pilot Sport A/S tires in 205/50R17 for three years. I haven't put a lot of miles on them (10,000?) but they've been great in every way except possibly fuel economy, though I don't drive in a consistent enough manner to really say for sure. They have excellent hydroplane resistance, wet/dry traction, and they are smooth and quiet. I haven't tried them in snow. Tread wear has been negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back