Mobil 1 - 0w40 vs 5w40 ESP Formula M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the 2 product sheets listed online. Though I have a bit of an idea, I am not entirely sure what each of the listed values really mean.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Other than the reduced sulfated ash for emissions equipment, which one can be considered a "better" oil for longer (10k) OCI's?

Our '05 e320 CDI has been run solely on 0w40 (MB 229.5) since new, but am thinking that this new specification (229.51) oil may be a better product. What do you guys think?

I think M1 5w40 ESP Formula M is better for Diesel engines, but the problem is, it's not widely available at auto part stores or at Walmart, you have to buy it from MB dealers at higher price than M1 0W40 that you can buy at WM.

Delvac 1 5w-40 or TDT 5w-40 (or similar) would be, IMO the best oil. If it is rated SM/CJ-4, there are no worries or whatever kind of catalysts, traps, etc. mightbe in the car.

Its add pack is better suitd for a diesel, and I see no good reason to not use a diesel-spec oil... Especially if it is rated MB 228.31 or 51... which is a similar but HD-related spec set.

Price is not so much of an issue as the cheapest price I have seen on M1 is Wally's at $6.27/qt for 0w40 or TDT (which they only have on occasion and often in small quantity). I have never seen either in the $26 5qt jugs. Local dealer charges $6.95/qt for the ESP 5w40, so the price difference is neglible.

For the sake of convenience, my only choices for this vehicle are the 0w40 or the ESP 5w40. I'm leaning towards the latter...

I picked up a gallon of M1 TDT yesterday at O'Reilly's (now a part of CSK (Checker/Schucks/Kragen) for less than $27.00. So if your local store doesn't have it, ask them to order it from the warehouse.

Not sure what NAPA is now charging, but again you can get TDT from the warehouse if they don't have it on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I've seen Mobil 1 5W40 Diesel oil at Advance Auto

yup AAP has TDT but a hefty price...

I HAVE A 2006 JETTA TDI, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THE 505 01 THE LATEST VISIT TO VW THEY SAID IT WAS REPLACED WITH CASTROL SLX LLO3 IS THIS THE RIGHT OIL. IT JUST
TURN 90K SHOULD I RUN A DIFFERENT OILI DRIVE 35K A YEAR.
THANKS A TDI LOVER,
MARK ELLER

I HAVE A 2006 JETTA TDI, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THE 505 01 THE LATEST VISIT TO VW THEY SAID IT WAS REPLACED WITH CASTROL SLX LLO3.IS THIS THE RIGHT OIL. IT JUST
TURN 90K SHOULD I RUN A DIFFERENT OILI DRIVE 35K A YEAR.
THANKS A TDI LOVER,
MARK ELLER

The SLX LL03 is 507.00 approved. 507 supercedes 506.01 and 505.01. So your dealer appears to be correct.

Mark, these are questions that only you can answer.

The first pumpe-duse (PD) engines in North America were in the 2004 model year. Owners were warned that unless they used the specified motor oil, bad things would happen to their cam lobes and lifters.

Many dealerships never bothered to stock the correct oil, so for several years TDI owners were misled by their VW dealers. Some engines DID have problems, but there did not seem to be any connection between the oil which was used and the likelihood of problems.

In fact, those owners who intentionally switched away from the VW-specified oil and started using Mobil 5w40 -- and who posted their results publicly here and over at http://www.tdiclub.com -- have so far NOT had any oil-related problems.

I would suggest that you have been paying too much, to have your oil changes performed at a VW dealership. You can do it yourself, easily, for about $40-50, which is probably about 1/2 what the dealership is charging you. And you get to choose which oil you want to use.

1) You may choose one of the 505.01-rated oils in the 5w40 viscosity, offered by Motul, Total/Elf, or Castrol. Or one of the 5w40 oils sold by other engine oil producers which claim to meet that specification, such as Amsoil AFL 5w40.

2) You may choose to use one of the new 504.00/507.00 rated oils which are backward compatible. These are mostly 5w30 oils and have a less-robust additive package; they are designed to protect the engine and the emissions system in 2007-and-newer TDI engines.

3) You may choose to use the Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M, which meets the requirement for Mercedes diesels but not the VW diesels. It has a higher viscosity and may do a better job of protecting than the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 for VW engines. You can get it from Mercedes, Chrysler, or Dodge dealerships.

4) Or, now that your engine is out of warranty, you may choose an API CI-4+ or CJ-4 rated oil, like Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 or Shell Rotella T 5w40. Both are widely available at auto parts stores and sometimes at Walmart.

I suggest you do your own research and then make a decision.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The SLX LL03 is 507.00 approved. 507 supercedes 506.01 and 505.01. So your dealer appears to be correct.

Some 507.00 oils also cover 505.01 but apparently not all.
According to an email I recieved from Castrol;
Quote:
The SLX Professional LLO3 5w-30 meets VW 504 00 and 507 00 it does not meet the VW 505 01 specification.

Last edited:
I remember a post about this on TDIClub... might actually have been yours. I also remember some TDIClub members wrote to VWoA and got replies authorizing use of 507 oil in '04 - '06 their PD TDI's. Interesting situation either way.

I'm rockin' the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck CJ4 in the wife's TDI at the moment.

I am acquiring an 05 Passat TDI wagon. Is there any evidence on whether Rotella T6 or M1 TDT is the preferred choice. I will also add some ZDDP to the equation. These are the easiest to acquire.

Other oils considered:
Lubro Moly high tech
Schaeffer's 9000
M1 ESP
Pentosin

Is the concensus that 10k OCI is still acceptable for the PDs.
I'm coming out of an ALH, so I feel like a noob once again. TIA

Originally Posted By: burninb2
I am acquiring an 05 Passat TDI wagon....
I'm coming out of an ALH, so I feel like a noob once again. TIA

Before you sign the paperwork and hand over your money, make sure you understand what you're getting into. There are a couple issues with that engine, certain fairly expensive modifications that are more or less obligatory if you want the engine to last.

Visit www.tdiclub.com, search for threads started by club member Oilhammer. He has probably worked on more Passat TDIs from that era than anyone and can advise you on what to look for.

The wagon I am acquiring is chainless and has had the ceramic glow plugs replaced with the steel updates. It also does not have the steering wheel shake that some are prone to due to failing or cheap chinese axles. I'm trying to settle on a quality oil for the long haul. I don't mind ordering, but if an OTC product will work just as well....

Originally Posted By: burninb2
The wagon I am acquiring is chainless and has had the ceramic glow plugs replaced with the steel updates. It also does not have the steering wheel shake that some are prone to due to failing or cheap chinese axles. I'm trying to settle on a quality oil for the long haul. I don't mind ordering, but if an OTC product will work just as well....

That's all very good to know.

I'm a big fan of M1 Turbo Diesel Truck -- I recently saw used-oil test results with that oil in a Passat TDI that were excellent except for the aluminum. Then I saw that the guy's previous test with a different oil was even worse, so the almuminum wear numbers were trending down with the TDT. Everything else was good.

If you have easy access to a Pep Boys store, they are now carrying M1 ESP Formula 5w30 and M1 ESP Formula M 5w40. Those both appear to be excellent low-SAPS oils -- the 5w30 carries a VW approval, the 5w40 is almost the same but just has BMW and MB approvals.

Edit: no Pep Boys closer to you than Springfield, but you can ask at NAPA if they have it in their warehouse.

In an 05 PD, is there any particular advantage to the ESP flavor vs TDT? From what I have read, 5w-40 is the way to go.
TDT seems to be a more popular choice than Rotella T6. What makes the M1 more desireable for a PD.

It's good to know there is a PEP in Springfield- I pass thru there from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back