Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

There has to be some kind of hidden savings ??? Maybe reducing the dependence on foreign oil? The increase in mpgs? You know all the advertised advantages $9.00 per qt oil will buy you.

Bill's right. Harry's regime is INSANE for a now 16-year old car with 250k+ miles on it.

He doesn't even have to go to conventional oil, as Bill would have him do. I haven't done the math, but if he ran his SSO to 12-15k miles per change, he'd save the kind of money Bill is talking about, and still get to use is favourite Amsoil. THAT is a win-win situation!

Amsoil is kind of expensive to change at 3K miles, why not just run the absolute least expensive dino and keep that Civic on the road for another 250K miles. I'm pretty sure you can do it:

Its a Civic
56.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Amsoil is kind of expensive to change at 3K miles, why not just run the absolute least expensive dino and keep that Civic on the road for another 250K miles. I'm pretty sure you can do it:

Its a Civic
56.gif

I used to use Castrol 5w-30. After changind to the Amsoil 0W-30, oil burn stopped, the engine ran quieter, the performance was noticibly enhanced. I don't run my oil changes like a business, it's a hobby to me.

Originally Posted By: harry j
The next UOA will be with an EAO filter, subsequent tests will be with the M1 filter using the SSO of course. I would like to compare the ISO oil cleanliness in my engine between the EAO and the M1 filter.

I have tried twice to get the M1 filter for my Civic.
The first time, Wal-mart had one left, too bad the M1 box contained a fram filter!
The second time, Autozone was sold out.
I'll keep on trying, I really want to know if the M1 filter tests out better than the EAo20 I am using now.

Seems like the 3k ocis would be cheaper than changing out the injectors. Further,each time you let somebody work on the car,there is a chance they will mess it up. I'd just keep driving it.

Sorry. I just went with the oem Platinums for my 02 v6 and changed them and torqued them myself at 90k. I try to stick with the oem specs for my cars and bikes.

It was NGK Iridium IX's that I swapped out. The car was running great on them. It turns out that one of the electrodes was out of spec, possibly due to an installation error? All is well now.

ISO Code 16/15/12
Miles on car 276,826
Miles on oil 3,779
Eao20 filter

=> 2 microns--656 particles
=>5 microns--243
=> 10 microns-67
=>15 microns-26
=>25 microns-6
=>50 microns-0
=>100 microns-0

ISO Code 14/14/11
Miles on car 284,521
Miles on oil 3,632
Eao20 filter
SS300 Filtermag

>=2 micron--303 particles
>=5 micron--112
>=10 micron--31
>=15 micron--12
>=25 micron--2
>=50 micron--0
>=100 micron-0

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Can we see any UOA's to go with these numbers?

Yes, I will post the numbers in total when all my experimenting is done.

Yeah, I posted a bit too quick on that - I forgot you had posted several UOA's earlier in this thread.

So you're doing some sort of experiment then?

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to run an expensive synthetic, or any syn. I guess, on a 20 year old car worth $600. Those Honda's will run forever that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: dmk

So you're doing some sort of experiment then?

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to run an expensive synthetic, or any syn. I guess, on a 20 year old car worth $600. Those Honda's will run forever that's for sure.

That's the route I took. $11 bottles of MC5k and a Honda filter with the 3,750 mile changes under Honda's severe service guidelines. I might be able to push it, but what's the point? I'd waste more money in UOA's and expensive oil than it costs to just change it every 3,750-4,000 miles.

At the rate it's going, this car should run forever.

Right now I am experimentin with Filtermag oil filters. They have 4 models available. I started with the low level SS300. Right now, I have the RA300 installed (I elected to skip the HP300). I will do two UOAs with each one, this is good due to six
UOAs on one page of Blackstone's report. Anyone will be able to compare each one at a glance. I will post when done.

Right now I am experimentin with Filtermag oil filters. They have 4 models available. I started with the low level SS300. Right now, I have the RA300 installed (I elected to skip the HP300). I will do two UOAs with each one, this is good due to six
UOAs on one page of Blackstone's report. Anyone will be able to compare each one at a glance. I will post when done.

Interesting, thanks for doing this. I have the RA series filtermag on my truck, seemed like a solid product to me.

Back