2005 Tundra V8 . Oil and filter opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys the truck is new . I have about 600 miles on it right now. I will probaly buy Toyota filters for it unless they get really ugly about the prices. Unless yall recommend other wise. I use Havoline 5-30w dino in my wifes T bird. Toyota reccomends the same wieght. So I was going to use it also in my new truck. My OCI was going to be at 4000 miles. Im a 3000 miles retard. Sorry can't be helped. Im programed .What else can I say
frown.gif
. But I thought I would move it to 4000 OCI to show I can still change after all these years. But I do start to break out in a rash about 3000 miles........ LOL. Thanks guys. I did alittle search and read some stuff. Thanks Oiler.

Nothing wrong with 3-4k mile OCI's with cheap $ Havoline dino. Good for any warranty claims. Save your receipts.

Toyo, Wix, Bosch Premium, and even Wal-Mart Super Tech are all great filters.

There are some great UOA's for this engine in the UOA forum, even with Cheap supertech oil
smile.gif
. At those intervals run what you
have(oline)and the toyo filter is great too, buy them online in bulk and they are cheap asnd won't let you down.

Will you be doing mainly city or highway driving? How hard do you like to drive? If its not all city, you might want to think about running Havoline or Chevron Supreme at 5000 mile intervals. The oil can handle that kind of interval, and its a good number for record keeping!

3000 Miles Oil change with havoline will work great in that motor! You know I am not a big fan of pushing out OCI with dino oils! It is one thing to push out an OCI with an oil that is specificly designed to do that especialy a synthetic with a great additive package. It is quite another to push out an OCI with cheap dino oils just to get the cost of ownership down!!

I usualy like 10W30 in Toyota's especialy with dino oil but these V8's are exceptionaly mild on their oil so the 5W30 might still work out just fine! Most Toyota V6 and I4 engines will tear a 5W30 into a 20Wt. in no time flat!!

You might consider 10W30 in the warm months and 5W30 dureing winter! I mostly use Toyota OEM filters myself. If you buy 6 at a time some of the larger discount Toyota dealerships like Russell Toyota will usualy give you a price break!

Havoline makes a good dino oil as does Chevron.

Warranty claims on a toyota
confused.gif

That engine is going to last forever.
Your 3-4k OCI is perfect. Nothing wrong with the OEM filter or mineral oil.
But, I'm using Motorcraft FL400s in the Toyotas. And, I have a Motorcraft FL1a for the next 4.7 OCI.

Does the 2005 have the oil cooler? If so, the 4k on havoline should be easy.

Oiler,
Good choice.I have an '02 with 62k on it.
Check out http://www.tundrasolutions.com
It's a pay club site with links to places to buy Toyota parts cheaper.About$4 a filter.
My truck sees highway and stop n go slow on the way home.I have been using Schaeffers 10w30 winter 15w40 summer,(Thanks Bitog)and going 8-9k on changes.
Do two changes early 1-1.5k then get a semi regular oci.
Also look for a smaller diameter cookie dough container to slide down onto the rags you placed on the skid plate under the engine to catch the oil when you loosen the oil filter.Unless you take off the plate.
As for the rash a application of #132 will take away the itch!
grin.gif

also to add;
The reason I went Schaeffers was I did not like the sound(no data sorry) of the M1 10w30 in the first winter.

Oiler,
If your owner's manual allows 10W-30 oil, I'd use that. The engines havn't changed, I have a '01 V-8 Tundra, but the oil has improved and there is always more pressure from the government to use lighter oil for a sliver better gas mileage. I've also used Schaeffer 15W-40 syn blend in summer with very good results. As soon as I get some Schaeffer #9000 5W-40, I'll use that in everything in the family fleet year 'round.

Go 5000 miles between oil changes on all your engines. Oil is so much better than it used to be. Chevron is making good oil for their Havoline label, so be happy.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
confused.gif

But, I'm using Motorcraft FL400s in the Toyotas. And, I have a Motorcraft FL1a for the next 4.7 OCI.

I have had warranty claims on all 3 of my Toyotas. . I would buy another Toyota in a heart beat if I needed one of their products. I hate overhead cam engines for passenger car use makes the engine bulkey.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
confused.gif

I have had warranty claims on all 3 of my Toyotas. . I would buy another Toyota in a heart beat if I needed one of their products. I hate overhead cam engines for passenger car use makes the engine bulkey.

I have never had a drivetrain related issue on a toyota.. all my warranty claims have been interior issues with fabrics, plastics and rattles. Well I lies they did replace an alternator under warranty even though it was obviously due to dirt and water.
dunno.gif
I Don't know why they put the alternator so low on a 4x4.

steve s, not all OHC heads are huge and wide! Even when one is larger then an OHV they are always aluminum so weight is not really a factor and the bulk of most modern OHC engines are aluminum so the weight again is not much of a factor. Most OEM's especialy Toyota have been pushing the edge of design to get the dimensions of their engines smaller and smaller to make packageing easier.My 2AZ-FE head is not much larger then a head from my Buick 3.8.

I second the recommendation for OEM filters. They are well made. I have an '01 with the V-8. This engine does well on any oil. I think 40 weight is too heavy personally. The engine will last forever using 5W-30, so you might as well get the better gas mileage too. I have even seen a difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30. The engine just seems to prefer the 5W-30. I just baby mine though. If you tow a lot or haul a lot, then do the 10W-30. I am using Schaeffers with 5k oil changes. It is very resistant to shear.

Look in the UOA section. Mobil 1 shows very well in this engine. But again, almost any oil does fine in this engine.

Hey any trick to getting to the filter. I thought about going from the top but thats a long reach. TIA Oiler

I always drop the plastic skid plate on mine.

offtopic.gif
The only issue I have had with my truck has been the oxygen sensors, which is a known problem on this truck and Toyota has issued an extended warranty on them.

i use mobil 1 ep - 2 quarts of 15w50 and the rest 10w30 in my 02 v8 tundra. also throw in about an ounce per engine oil quart of valvoline engine oil treatment.

I do my mothers Tundra from the top and yes it is a long reach!!! Toyota in my area(see 48 miles one way) has the OEM filters on sale for $3.99 instead of $6.99.

I just took delivery of a brand new Tundra 4x4, V-8 automatic, the only way they come. What a wonderful powertrain compared to the 1994 F-150 it replaced.

I will probably only have 3000 miles on it in six months. The required OCI is 5000mi/six months. My plan then is to just use Chevron Supreme 5W-30 every six months, at least during the five year powertrain warranty.

Hi Oiler.Don't feel bad about your 3000 OCI's
I do mine at 2000 Miles (Yes that is overkill)
but oil is cheap and engines are not. Besides
Synthetic or Dino it still gets dirty and that
keeps my engines nice and clean inside. Havoline
has very good reviews I personally like Castrol and at 2000 OCI's I have never had a problem.

My '02 V=8 Tundra was easy on M1 5w-30; it drained really clean looking at 7,500 miles, and seemed a waste to change it. Didn't use any, and I pushed it daily on the xway.

OTOH, the engine over time developed a nice case of piston slap which was louder as it was colder outside. On the coldest days it sounded like a can of nuts and bolts shaken around, until it warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back