Spline vs Flank drive vs 6 point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to get a stubborn bolt off a bracket that holds a motor mount so I dont have to lift the engine or drop the crossmember support to get the mount out. I got the first bolt off the bracket pretty easily with a breaker bar and socket because it was accessible. The second bolt is inside the bracket and there is no room at all to get at it. I tried using an open end/closed end craftsman 14 mm 12 point but it just slips and has started to round the bolt. I also tried a Crows foot with an adapter for an open end/closed wrench but no luck. I think what would work best is a 6 point 0 degree offset wrench that is 10 inches or more so I can get some torque on the bolt.

I was looking at Snap-ons site today and they have extended length 0 degree offset flank drive 12 point wrenches and spline drive wrenches. They do not seem to offer any 6 points. Does anyone know which wrench would provide the better grip and not round the bolt off?

I also checked out Sk tools and they offer 6 point wrenches and their g-pro spline wrenches. Does anyone know which would work best as far as preventing slippage? Here are the wrenches I'm looking at:

http://www.skhandtool.com/Default.aspx?fusemode=10&pid=88514
http://www.skhandtool.com/Default.aspx?fusemode=10&pid=89364
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog

Brian,

If the S-K 6 points won't work, you will need a cutting torch or plasma cutter. I have those plus the g-spline and like both. The 6 point is a flank drive style of wrench and has never failed to get a bolt broken loose. The same goes for the g-spline wrenches but I have not forced them as much as the 6-points. You do need more "swing" room with the 6 pointers though.

Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
Brian,

If the S-K 6 points won't work, you will need a cutting torch or plasma cutter. I have those plus the g-spline and like both. The 6 point is a flank drive style of wrench and has never failed to get a bolt broken loose. The same goes for the g-spline wrenches but I have not forced them as much as the 6-points. You do need more "swing" room with the 6 pointers though.
Do you know if the gear mechanism in the g-spline will hold up to the force it would require to remove a motor mount bolt. Those things are really on there.

Brian,

I don't trust the gear meachanism in ANY gear wrench as much as I do a ratchet. I use a regular wrench most of the time to "break" a bolt loose and then use a gear wrench to remove. If I can get a socket on the bolt, a breaker bar is used first, then a ratchet.

Note that this for those "frozen" bolts that have not been turned in years, rusted, etc. For any normal wrenching, I don't hesitate to grab my g-splines. I own the offset box ends and the combinations and they both work very well.

I went ahead and ordered the 6 point last night. I guess if that doesn't get it off I could always try my shotgun.
LOL.gif

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2007/nov/10/sk-man-hurts-himself-trying-to-loosen-lug-nut/
LOL.gif

I don't trust the gear meachanism in ANY gear wrench as much as I do a ratchet.

Snap-On's got a beefy mechanism in their ratchets - the Dual 80 is rated for 295 ft-lbs.

But I was able to blow Craftsman ones apart.

I've broke so many Craftsman ratchets I have doubles of a couple to have a backup during a job. Sneaky rascals made me buy extra tools. lol

I have the sk ones and those are the only rateching wrenches i buy any more. The gearwrench/craftsmans ones are pretty weak. The bluepoint ones that snapon sells are garbage. I have yet to break an sk one and i have use a cheater pipe on them once or twice

Originally Posted By: nthach

I don't trust the gear meachanism in ANY gear wrench as much as I do a ratchet.

Snap-On's got a beefy mechanism in their ratchets - the Dual 80 is rated for 295 ft-lbs.

But I was able to blow Craftsman ones apart.

+1 The Snap-On Dual-80s are amazing. I have 3 of them and they are the best tools that I have ever purchased.

I like the SK ratcheting wrenches too.I have seen one used on a cheater bar,still works and bent the wrench.The SK long double box end ratcheting wrenches are great for serpentine belt systems.Cornwell,Mac and Matco have the best open ends on their wrenches.Their open ends are shaped like a nut and have a better contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back