Gas station is hiding their E10 stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy these E-10 stories.

We've been using this stuff in Illinois for at least 15 years now.

And nothing bad has yet to happen...

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I can't get gas without the ethanol. FUBARED to the bone!

Same here. E10 all day every day.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I am not the only one to notice a 5-10% drop in fuel economy when running gas with 10% ethanol in it.

There's more, but it's not for this board.

Yup, definite loss in MPG when E10 showed up here. I had a 2005 Silverado 5.3L at the time it arrived here in 06 and I saw a 2 MPG average drop.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I am wondering why everybody is so against ethanol in gasoline. I have been using enthanol enhanced gas for years in my vehicles and never had a fuel related problem ever. Anybody care to explain the dislike of ethanol?

We've discussed this many times before on this board. Ethanol has a significantly lower BTU value than gasoline that affects gas mileage. When you do the math, E10 is worth 4% less than straight gasoline. Nobody want to pay the same price for a fuel that will give you 4% less gas mileage. Knwing who dispenses which fuel allows the consumer to make an educated decision as to whether they're getting their money's worth. Otherwise it's okay as a fuel.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

We've discussed this many times before on this board. Ethanol has a significantly lower BTU value than gasoline that affects gas mileage. When you do the math, E10 is worth 4% less than straight gasoline. Nobody want to pay the same price for a fuel that will give you 4% less gas mileage. Knwing who dispenses which fuel allows the consumer to make an educated decision as to whether they're getting their money's worth. Otherwise it's okay as a fuel.

Well said. I wouldn't have a problem with E10 if they actually discounted the price to match the lesser actual gasoline content.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
In Ohio, it was manditory to have the ethanol sticker on the pump until 2 years ago. Then the politicians decided the would get more votes from the farmers if they eliminated the posting requirement for ethanol. So-- now it is unknown what you are buying. The 10% stuff not only causes a drop in mileage, but I sure won't run well in my lawn mower etc.FWIW

+1 we have no fuel standards in this state. But that does work in our favor too.

Originally Posted By: paul246
Here, gasoline is ethanol free if it is premium grade, such as Shell V-Power. Otherwise, it is 5% for mid-grade and 10% for regular.

Not all premium is ethanol free.

Some places the ethanol "enhanced" fuel is a bit cheaper. I'll gladly pay a couple cents more per gallon for the undiluted fuel.

Ethanol blended fuel has never caused me a problem but I do notice the loss of economy.

A few thoughts:

You were using it all this time and you never noticed it was 10% ethanol, yet you still "hate E10." I fail to see the rationality or logic here. Enlighten us, please. It seems like a psychosomatic, knee-jerk reaction without any reason.

Ethanol is probably more likely to be used in a higher concentration in premium gas than regular because it has a higher octane value.

Ethanol will reduce your fuel mileage. But its higher cost offsets the price difference and you wind up using more fuel. If you really want to [censored] about ethanol, [censored] that the net pollution is higher with ethanol than without and there are no price advantages for anyone but the ethanol suppliers.

There is no such thing as "pure gas." It all has additives, and the ethanol blends may actually contain fewer oxygenate additives overall than the blends.

Ethanol is alcohol, and it mixes with water. If you ever put gas line antifreeze in your tank in the winter, you were probably pouring in ethanol.

Modern cars were engineered for the current ethanol content of gasoline. If they raise the percentage from 10 to 12 or 14 or whatever they're thinking about, it could be a serious problem. It's already a problem for boat owners and maintainers of other gasoline-powered machines that were not designed with fuel system components that are ethanol-compatible. Not that I have any sympathy for boat owners, but...

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
I remember 15-20 years ago in Illinois the Casey's chain sold 89 octane (E10) for 2-3% less than 87 octane straight gasoline.

Here in Kansas, they still do. Today their 89 octane (10% alcohol) was $1.99. Their 87 octane was $2.10. Is it good gas? Who knows. Any additives? Who knows.
I buy my gas at BP or Shell, where their 87 octane is the cheapest priced and they probably have the least amount of alcohol of any local chain.
P.S. BP recently added 93 octane. It's about the only gas my '71 Cougar can gulp without complaining.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Ethanol damages rubber parts in small engines, most of which aren't really built to take it.

And yet, in parts of the Country like Minnesota, where E10 has been state law year around since the late '90s, and was in the gasoline in winter gas much earlier than that, there are plenty of us who have been running E10 in these engines for years with no major effects. I will state that older small engines may have the seal and gasket issues, but frankly if small engine makers haven't figured out by now that E10 gas is everywhere, that is plain dumb. All the small engines I have bought in recent years allow the use of E10, and recommend keeping the gas supply as fresh as possible. Easy enough to do, and frankly is still sound advice even with non E10 gasoline.

Again, I don't dispute issues with older equipment, but anything newer had better be compatible.

I am not an ethanol supporter for many reasons, but the garbage spewed out on the supposed effects of this fuel continue to amuse me...

I don't have a problem with E10. I just happen to be running a few tanks of non-ethanol gas in my cars right now because I want to see what, if any mileage differences I see. If not for that I wouldn't have been able to tell you who sells it and who doesn't other than Sunoco, which I've been using for years.

Around here Shell pump stickers state that V-Power is 0% ethanol.

An aviation official stated in a recent seminar that it has been discovered that aircraft using MOGAS (auto fuel) may experience ethanol separation if the aircraft are stored over the winter. He stated that the ethanol cannot be re-combined and could cause erratic combustion until the old fuel is burned off. So, if you don't get the best performance out of your brought out of storage collector car, this could be why.

Most any newer car will be mechanically fine on E10( use caution running it in old cars as the ethanol will dissolve crud in the gas tank and can lead to major issues ). My issue with it, in regards to auto use, is the loss of MPG. Only our government would mandate blending ethanol with the gas, which is PROVEN to reduce MPG, during a fuel crisis/shortage. Only in America.
21.gif
Now they are talking upping that to 15 or 20%. Just nuts.
banana2.gif

I do have issues with it mechanically however for use in small engines, boats, ATV's, etc... In these uses you have MAJOR problems with it if you let the fuel sit. In a car you are going through it fairly quick but in small engine uses it is not uncommon for the fuel to sit for 3-4 months between uses or longer. The ethanol separates from the gas pretty quick which is not good. Ethanol is a moisture magnet as well and will draw moisture in after it seperates very rapidly which is very bad once you try and use it.

Also when allowed to sit for extended periods it starts to grow this funky red algea like stuff. If you don't drain the fuel system/gas tank on your boat, ATV, lawn mower, etc... when you plan on letting it sit for extended periods of time without special fuel treatments it can play havoc with your fuel system and gas tank.

When using any ethanol based fuel in a small engine that does not see regular use/regular refueling you need to use a fuel enzyme such as Startron. Otherwise you WILL have mechanical issues eventually.

Here is some info from them on it. Good stuff and a lot of it relates to cars as well...

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/118/219/lang,en/

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/images/stories/catalog/startron_ethanol101.pdf

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

Watch the bottom right video( guy holding glass jar/bottle up ):
http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/82/112/lang,en/

Last edited:
If anything, I would use ethanol to make a gradual transition on the car's fuel system to insure there is no problem down the road...

Ethanol is a waste of time, a waste of money, and increases your vehicles polution. Lets hope the government keeps artificially proping up this industry. sigh...

By calulating the heat differencesof ethnoal and gasoline the drop in fuel mileage should be 4.3% and not the 10-20% numbers some folks are reporting. While I don't know the impact on the food supply, it does help the oil comsumption issue and helps keep the fuel system cleaner and "frost free"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back