Looking for Fishing Reel oil/grease suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Rebuilt a fishing reel last night with Park PolySyn bicycle grease. Worked ok, but it's a very thick grease. I've been using it for a few years on some better 4-5 ball bearing models and it's been good. But this is a 2 bearing Quantum beater and it's smooth but stiff.

Is there anything thinner, or that people recommend? Or just a good very thin grease you've had success with in similar instances?

I'm more interested in lubrication and friction reduction than protection.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce, they both work great, but the trick in fishing reels is to use as little grease and oil as possible. More than one drop on oil on the bearings is too much. Grease should be limited to only be put on the gears.

I saw some pretty fancy stuff in the 8~9 dollar range, but that's more than I was willing to spend. This reel is probably only worth five bucks and should probably be replaced but it's the only one I have with infinite anti-reverse (the rest are shimanos with quick cast which I prefer).

So, either thirty bucks for a new reel I'll use one trip a year for smallmouth fishing, or...

Well, first I tried the Park bicycle grease because it had no smell and is pretty slippery. But it was too thick. I had to dissassemble everythign and clean with mineral spirits. Then opened every oil I had an chose the least smelly, which was Mobil Clean 5000 5w-20 (Formula Shell was close), M1 ATF was my first choice but smelt like dog [censored] in a fire.

It works much better now, but we'll see if the oil leaves the bearings or if it sticks around...

i use Mercury Marine 2-4-C grease for my reels which get used around salt water and fresh water.
has teflon for the drag washers, water resistant and anti corrosion additives.

makes the drags silky smooth, no grabbing drags.

already have it for the trailer and motors lube points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back