Fastest UOA results using envelope mailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up that I used a big padded envelope to mail the blackstone bottle and it took only 1.5 days to get there from west coast to indiana. mailed 3pm PST mon, arrived in indiana on wed. 9:30 am local time.

Regular first class postage was used (around $2 as I remember).

I mailed only the small translucent sample bottle in the ziploc, not the big black bottle.

This will by my shipping method of choice from now on.

Is it faster to use the envelope? I would think the jar and the envelope would be the same, assuming you're using First class.

Last sample I sent lost a day in transit when the Post Office mixed up the "TO" and "FROM" addresses and sent the bottle back to me here at the office. Deja vu!

Everytime I have sent the black bottle by itself it has taken around 2-3 weeks to get to the lab. I call it "liquid phobia" on the part of the post office. Little boxes with the bottle inside do fine mailing from here, but never this fast. Maybe it's a fluke.?

That does seem excessive. Is there a way to see when they actually receive the sample? I know turnaround time varies depending on how busy the lab is.

My last sample took a total of 9 days between mailing and receiving the emailed report from Blackstone.

Something is only "illegal" if you get caught.
thumbsup2.gif

Good idea. I sent one out, they sent it back to me. I am sending it back out tomorrow. I will put it in a big envelope.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
............I mailed only the small translucent sample bottle in the ziploc, not the big black bottle.........

Not a good idea, IMO. If the small bottle leaks or breaks, the USPS will be coming after you. For extra protection, use the black bottle also.

Originally Posted By: vweosdriver
Send it certified mail with a return receipt and you'll know when they get it.

I believe you just need regular certified mail, not return receipt. You can track delivery on the Internet.

Or you can use Priority Mail for $4.95 total (2-day service) which includes tracking. This includes a small box or large envelope that you get at the Post Office.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
............I mailed only the small translucent sample bottle in the ziploc, not the big black bottle.........

Not a good idea, IMO. If the small bottle leaks or breaks, the USPS will be coming after you. For extra protection, use the black bottle also.

Really? They'll come after you?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Really? They'll come after you?

They are always watching!

Seinfeld_s9e5.jpg

There is a sealed bottle surrounded by the absorbing cloth and the padded envelope itself is plastic on the inside. So if the sealed bottle leaks (very unlikely) it would have to get past the absorbing cloth, past the ziploc, then past the plastic in the padded mailer. I can't imagine it leaking short of someone driving over it with a truck and even then it may not make it to the outside of the padded envelope.

From the USPS Domestic Mail Manual:

Section 10.13.3: "For air or surface transportation, if the flashpoint is above 200°F (93°C) the material is not regulated as a hazardous material. Such nonregulated materials must be properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage under the general packaging requirements in 2.0, Packaging."

Section 2.4
Liquids
Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:

a.
Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).
b.
Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.
c.
Package glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces according to the following requirements:
Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.
Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.
d.
As an alternative to 2.4c above, mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.

Every time I ship an UOA sample at the PO it is a unique experience. Every postal clerk seems to make up their own rules.
LOL.gif

Today, I had my sample in the double Blackstone bottles, which in turn was in a small box. Per regulations, the box was labeled "liquid".

This is how the conversation went at the PO:

ME: "I want to mail this oil sample by 1st class".

CLERK: "Is this used motor oil?"

ME: "Yes"

CLERK: "Can't ship used motor oil by 1st class or Priority"

ME: "But your regulations say liquids with a flashpoint over 200 degrees are mailable!"

CLERK: "Is this used motor oil? Say no"

ME: "No"

CLERK: "OK, 1st class it'll be. Do you want delivery confirmation?"

So I guess it is OK to ship new oil, but not used oil, via 1st class or Priority (i.e via air transport). At least for today.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back