Trunk racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF and I are going to head out of town for a long bike ride up north at the end of April, so we're going to need to get a trunk rack for the bikes. I don't want to spend too much, but I want to get something that will mount up securely and hold the bikes in place for long drives (6+ hours) and will last a long time. The drive up to where we're going involves a slow, fairly rough hill climb (steep unpaved driveway) so a secure mount is an important feature to me.

A relatively cheap, basic one like this Hollywood one might fit the bill, but for a little more change, this Allen one looks pretty sturdy, although it only holds 2 bikes as opposed to 3 (which is fine for my needs anyway).

The Allen one is also attractive because it will fit over a spoiler. My car only has a small lip spoiler, but the versatility might come in handy for future cars.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I ended up getting the Hollywood 3 bike rack since it seemed sufficient and was a good price.

Just to confirm, it's safe to assume that most car trunk hinge setups can support two or three bikes hanging off them, right? It would suck to lose the trunk lid and the bikes on the freeway...

I can vouch for the Allen in the URL from the first post. My wife and I made it from the Detroit area to British Columbia in fine fettle, until the Mrs. decided (against my impassioned pleas otherwise) that the car + rack and bikes could fit under an immovable object.

I have a similar rack to the Allen. Nothing fancy, but it works. Stays on even over some major bumps on the freeway.

I almost went with the Allen rack. I got the Hollywood because the straps don't have to go under the car and completely block trunk access.

Well everything went fine on the trip last weekend. Around 800 miles round trip with the GF's road bike and my hybrid on the back of her Mazda3. I can't help but feel like my Civic's trunk is a little flimsier and am tempted to keep shoving my bike in the trunk of that car when I need to take it some place (obviously not a good solution for two bikes) so I guess my satisfaction with the rack is somewhat limited.

Am I just being paranoid or is a bike or two actually putting too much stress on the trunk lid and its hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back