Brand tires at BJ and Costco have different specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I heard tires at Costco are like name brand plumbing items and other things at Home Depot and Lowes.
Same name products but the specs are different.

I'm buying some Michelin LTX AT2s and called Michelin yesterday to see if they had any rebates because Costco shows one along with discount tire but Tire Rack didn't.
The Michelin rep said they would send me a redemption form to recieve a $60 rebate.
I mentioned about hearing that Costco has the LTX AT2 but I've heard the specs are different.The rep didn't agree or deny anything.In fact she seem to skate by that.
Take it for what it's worth.

Its funny you should say that because I was in pricing some bfg km2's yesterday and he wanted to know what car I had. He looked it up and said that he wanted to make sure that I was ok with a 6 ply tire because they dont have the 10 ply. I just shrugged it off as tire geek nonsense but now I wounder if all the other price quoted I got at other tire shops were for a 10 ply tire??? Costco had them all beat in price by a long shot.

Originally Posted By: ryland
Its funny you should say that because I was in pricing some bfg km2's yesterday and he wanted to know what car I had. He looked it up and said that he wanted to make sure that I was ok with a 6 ply tire because they dont have the 10 ply. I just shrugged it off as tire geek nonsense but now I wounder if all the other price quoted I got at other tire shops were for a 10 ply tire??? Costco had them all beat in price by a long shot.

10 ply tires? Holy smokes, they use 6( load range D ) and 8( load range E ) ply tires on one ton trucks, what are these going on?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

10 ply tires? Holy smokes, they use 6( load range D ) and 8( load range E ) ply tires on one ton trucks, what are these going on?

Don't you mean:

Holy smokes, they use 8( load range D ) and 10( load range E ) ply tires on one ton trucks

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Don't you mean:

Holy smokes, they use 8( load range D ) and 10( load range E ) ply tires on one ton trucks

Ha, you caught me :) That's exactly what I meant to say..double D's on the back and E's on the front.

Sometimes you can get pdfs of a tire maker's whole line or at least, say, "wilderness AT" for which there are many submodels.

They'll show UTQ, max inflation pressure, max weight, etc. Can look for subtle differences which may make it thru different distribution channels.

Lower treadwear ratings have been found stamped on OE versions of tires, so it would seem to me that the truth would have to be somewhere in one of the stats.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Don't you mean:

Ha, you caught me :) That's exactly what I meant to say..double D's on the back and E's on the front.

Did you mean to say, "double D's"?
LOL.gif

If the Jeep is a Wrangler Rubicon they came with load range E tires from the factory. Some places won't install a "lesser" tire than what it came from the factory with.

The popular model name tires should be the same.

The wholesale clubs, Sears, Wal-mart, and indy tire shops buying from American Tire Distributors sonetimes carry what I suppose could be called semi-private label models, usually from the Michelin brands, Goodyear, sometimes Bridgestone. These tires may be similar to a popular model name tire but are tweaked spec and tread pattern wise to be different.

Michelin X-radial, Destiny, Weatherwise and Goodyear Tracker, Viva are a couple examples I can think of off hand.

One real pain these tires create from working at a dealership in the past is some customers found it hard to understand why I would have to refer them to WM or Sears to get an exact match tire when I was supposed to carry their tire brand of choice.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back