Needing opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I use to ride, a lot, averaged about 50 miles a week in the mid-90's. Got married, moved, had a child and now at the point I have a little time to do "something." I'm going to be perfectly honest here, back in 02, I had to have an emergency hemmorhoid operation. Took a couple of months, but got "all" that stuff fixed. Started jogging on the treadmill about a month ago. Did OK for a couple of weeks, but now, my freakin' knees are killing me. I was jogging about 6 miles a week. I laid off of jogging for a week and my knees feel great. I only walk on the treadmill now, which at a 10 percent incline, can give a good workout, but just takes a while.
Anyway, my ride back then was a Marin hybrid, 21 speed, 700cc tires but a narrow seat. I've noticed that seat technology has drastically improved since I use to ride. I wonder if I can still ride after that surgery? Anyone have similar situation? Looks a new seat with the middle part open might just work out, but I don't know. Hoping some of the brethren here might share some insight. Also, hybrid bikes are not the in thing anymore. What are they called now? Street cruisers or leisure bikes? I still want a hybrid set up. I liked the seated up position, as opposed to the road position, I liked the handle bar width and I really loved the thumb shifters. Is such a bike still out there? What would ya'll recommend. Notice some bikes come with a shock built in underneath the seat, that's seems pretty cool.

there are way more options now. each mfgr calles them something different; city bikes, urban, commuter, sport road, etc. you'll just have to try out a few. I know cannondale and trek both have road bikes w/ flat bars; basically a skinny tire hybrid. some have suspensions, some don't.
same w/ seats, you'll just have to try a few. what works for one won't work for another. also, besides seat choice, position on the bike greatly affects posterior pressure points.
just don't give up if it takes a while to find something comfortable.

I don't have any knowledge or input on the seat situation, but hybrid bikes are still out there. I got a Kona last year (http://www.konaworld.com/08_dewdeluxe_w.htm) when I was looking for a bike to replace my aging and beat up mountain bike with something that could more easily keep up with my GF's road bike. I've been very happy with it so far. It's got the comfortable seating position, thumb shifters, flat bars etc combined with 700c wheels (though not quite as thin as road bike wheels -- which I see as an advantage for riding on the rural roads around here). The hydraulic disc brakes are cool but not really necessary.

EDIT: I suppose Kona actually calls them "Asphalt" bikes.

Last edited:
You just have to try different seats and see what you like. Try padded bike shorts as well..
Definitely go with suspension or at least a suspension seatpost. Careful, though. The seatposts have a max weight rating.

Plenty of options out there. If you want a more upright position, you probably want to err on the side of a slightly larger frame so you can position the saddle lower than the bars. Another option is to install riser bars.

As to suspension, a front suspension isn't going to do anything for your comfort in that particular region; it is only going to take some of the abuse that would otherwise be transmitted to your arms in rough terrain. A full suspension bike is probably overkill for what you are describing.

If it were me, I'd find something suitable from CL and customize it with a new saddle, bars, and maybe shifters and brakes if necessary.

Originally Posted By: 02Pilot
Plenty of options out there. If you want a more upright position, you probably want to err on the side of a slightly larger frame so you can position the saddle lower than the bars. Another option is to install riser bars.

Actually, a more upright seating position is properly achieved with an angled stem with shorter reach, possibly in combination with a riser bar.

Leg length is used to determine proper frame size.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: 02Pilot

Actually, a more upright seating position is properly achieved with an angled stem with shorter reach, possibly in combination with a riser bar.

Leg length is used to determine proper frame size.

Fair enough, though I'm not sure how much customization the OP is looking to do.

Speaking of the saddle, it works differently from a seat, really. In case of a bicycle saddle, you are supposed to sit on your sitting bones. The sitting bones, which are protuberances, are differently spaced on people. Therefore, one must find the proper saddle that fits and that is comfortable. Most bike shops will have a "butt meter" made by Specialized. You place it on a chair and sit down for a while. When you get up, your sitting bones have left an impression on the cushion, which has marking for saddle width. That way you can choose a saddle that will be comfortable. Believe it or not, but a hard, plastic or leather saddle that fits properly is more comfortable than a wide, cushioned saddle (seat). On the latter, your mass is carried not primarily by the sitting bones, but by the sacrum and the tailbone. Ouch.

As for the seat post with integrated shock, I think it may be good for people with spine problems. I'd probably just go with lower pressure in the tire for a bit cushioning. A bouncy seat post will greatly reduce efficiency when pedaling. While cheaply designed rear suspensions cause pedal bobbing, a seat post suspension may cause body bobbing. All right, that just sounds weird!
wink.gif

Thanks for that info on seating. I had known that seating on the hip bone is the best way to sit down, but trying to find one and not ordering blindly is a problem. I'll hunt down a bike shop with a "butt" meter. I think that's exactly what I need. My other seats were those old school style seats that totally missed the hip bones. Man, learn something everyday on this site, you guys ROCK!!!

The sitting bones (the "ischia" or "ischial tuberosities") are the protuberances at the bottom of the hip bone.

pelvis.jpg

http://www.raqs.co.nz/safedance/graphics/pelvis.jpg

The kind of saddle I use I very comfortable, although it looks uncomfortable. You can see the two areas where the sitting bones should hit the pads on the saddle. (Better) Saddles come in several widths.

24fz293.jpg

A good pair of bicycle shorts made a dramatic improvement in my riding comfort. They have a a chamois (padding) sewn in just where it is needed. Good quality ones are quite expensive, approaching $100, but well worth it particularly if you have sensitive "parts."

Cycling shorts reduce friction. A deerskin patch is best. However, the best friction reducing shorts won't do anything about comfort as far as improper seating is concerned. That's simply a matter of finding a saddle that matches the rear end.

In my normal daily life I am not inclined to don bike-specific gear. I am not a competitive rider. I ride for fun and when short-distance errands call for a bike trip. For example, if I go to the post office, I usually take my bike. I have no issue riding up to twenty or thirty miles in suitable outdoorsy type clothing. Most of my rides are less than 5 miles roundtrip. If I were a spandex fetishist I'd probably take out the garbage wearing attention getting, lime-green, shiny tights, and a cod piece and a pteranodon helmet for protection.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
a pteranodon helmet for protection.

try to find a helmet NOT shaped like one.

I don't care how its shaped; how it fits is whats important.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
If you did, and I found out about it, I'd organize an intervention.

I got a freeride helmet for those rare occasions on which you likely won't catch me.
48.gif

I'm wearing urban warfare chic when I go biking: BDU style cargo pants (not the kind with the crotch dangling between the ankles), t-shirt and a multi pocketed tactical vest; also a ball cap to shield my eyes from the California sun and of course sunglasses. Bandoliers are optional, depending on the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back