Best equipment for wheel balancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some problems in the past with wheel balancing at a local garage. I have a new set of tires I'm about to have mounted and balanced, and wondered what advice I could get about what specific technique or equipment to look for when I call around to other tire shops. Is there really any "best way" to get the job done?

There may be a DOT minimum standard, or the manu equivalent, and some/most shops may do just this. Try a high perf shop/racing shop, or ask people who do, some may have better track records than others.

If you can find a hunter road force something-something-9700 and a guy who can use it that would work the best, as a roller pushes against the tire and notices if it flexes improperly as it turns.

Regular "computerized spin balancing" machines have an "econo" mode where less weight is needed because they feel it's "good enough". You may try tipping the guy or just politely demanding satisfaction.

Quote:
Probably the guy running the machine.

No wiser words have ever been penned.

Bought some Michelin LTX's last year for my Expedition at a large national chain. They gushed over how smooth and quiet the tires were going to be, and how they would road force balance them on their Hunter 9700. I notice that the tech they give them to has Clearasil stains on his shirt collar. I left the store and these things feel terrible, vibrating badly at 45mph. The manager has another (little older) tech check the balance and
they were way off. After reworking, they were better, but not what I expected from Michelins.

On a whim, I stopped by a local mom-and-pop tire store that does TV advertising late at night. I think their newest tech has 15 or 16 years experience. They throw my tires on a Coats machine so old that most of the letters on the side have rubbed off and it says "C--TS". This guy takes the time to zero out the balance and sometimes moves a weight a quarter-inch to get a better reading. Bottom line- extreme smoothness, not even a wiggle at 80+mph.

It's the guy, not the equipment.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Second vote!

However, the Hunter GSP9700 is the best machine out there. If you use the Road Force feature correctly (I have yet to see that!), it will get the best out of what you have - which is to say, you can't make a purse out of a sow's ear.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
cool.gif

At least that's what my grandmother used to say..

Thanks, again Capri

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Steve S

Second vote!

However, the Hunter GSP9700 is the best machine out there. If you use the Road Force feature correctly (I have yet to see that!), it will get the best out of what you have - which is to say, you can't make a purse out of a sow's ear.

I miss my Hunter 9700 in my last shop I worked at. I got to do all the NVH stuff for tires.

If you know what your doing with a Coats you can only go so far then you are guessing. If they moved a wright a little here and there then they did not do the job that is for sure. Just can't pound a weight and let it fly. Got to check it out.

Can't count the number of tire I have made Goodyear, Continental and other take back as defects. Yup sent me the round ones so that balancing will do some good. Just cause it spins evenly by weight does not mean the egg will roll smoothly on a car. Heck I have forced them major manufacturers to take tires back that even passed the RFV on the Hunter GSP 9700 (with most of the programming, only missed the one particular add on for Rousch wheels on their F150) because the machine will not pick up on side to side runout. But the steering wheel sure will pass it to the driver.

Once RFV is down under about 18 lbs you can actually even Mash-Mount the wheel on the vehicle to help minimize that last bit to make it even better.

An decent user of a 9700 should beat me with my current coats no problem but with my 9700 good luck beating me. If you have questions on what to watch for before going for a road force balancing look up some of my old posts or send me a PM. Be glad to tell you exactly what is going on. Just be kind and tell me the tire size and including LT or P etc... and vehicle they belong on. Helps with numbers.

I use the GSP9700 at work when I'm working on my car - the mechanics showed me how to balance a tire and I taught myself to use the roadforce feature. It takes longer, but the machine guides you through measurements and marking the tire if it detects too much variance.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I use the GSP9700 at work when I'm working on my car - the mechanics showed me how to balance a tire and I taught myself to use the roadforce feature. It takes longer, but the machine guides you through measurements and marking the tire if it detects too much variance.

Yes it does take longer but for the most part is you use just the quick feature it is not that long at all. If you do the full monty where it detects the vibration producing radial variation as well as Pull so you can minimize either the tire pull or vibration as you primary concern. Yup it will tell you where to mount the tire on car. LF RF LR RR.

I always ran the quick check even if not roadforcing tires just to verify I won't have a problem (heck it is may 6 seconds or so a tire and then it does not repeat on balance check so no difference there). I would even notify Service Writers of the problem if it was real bad. Especially if it was a faulty tire so I could get a good one. No fun giving a customer a$150+ egg instead of tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back