douglas tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
19.gif

Hi guys, It is time to buy some new 15' tires for my mother's honda.(by the way, I hate honda's!)We don't want to spend a fortune on new tires, because we plan to sell this car in 2 years for something better. (like a Ford). We found some $85 douglas tires with better tread that goodyear viva's at Walmart. Anybody have any experience with these tires? Are they junk or good? I have always got goodyear or michelins, so i don't know.
thanks

Without knowing anything about the douglas tires, or what year or model the Honda is... I'd probably still take them over the Goodyear viva.

But really, if there's a Sams Club or Costco you can probably get better tires for about that price. 85 bucks isn't that cheap, especially if it doesn't include mounting/balancing.

Best of luck with the car, you might want to sell it right away. Hondas have a reputation for being unreliable...

Originally Posted By: fordboy
19.gif
(by the way, I hate honda's!)We don't want to spend a fortune on new tires, because we plan to sell this car in 2 years for something better. (like a Ford).

We have a very valuable new member on board. 14 posts and already very knowledgeable.

15ft tires? No wonder you HATE mom's Honda. Anyhoo.. last I knew, Kelly-Springfield made Douglas tires. I'm a fan of 'off brand' tires, so I don't see how you could go wrong.

Joel

What's the exact size you need for the hated car?

As has been said, Douglas is Walmart's house brand tire, made by Kelly Springfield, a subsidiary of Goodyear. Not the worst tire out there, but Honda's are not too picky about their tire needs, not like a Ford or anything. ;-)

If you are focused on price only, shop the "out the door" price for the car and don't focus on the per tire price. Mounting and balancing can add up quick so a good deal sometimes isn't so good after everything has been added into the deal.

Shop aggressively in your area and you'll find a good deal, no doubt.

Are you looking at their cheezy Xtra Trac? I've had some and they aren't that terrible. They don't come any shorter than ~65 series. What size are you looking at? Might be able to get some kumhos mail order and have walmart mount them for the same or slightly cheaper... and have a longer lasting tire to boot.

Maybe that WM has (or could order?) Uniroyal Tiger paws, those are made by michelin and probably a step up for not much more $$.

sorry for lack if info. Ok, first of all they are 15 INCH tires
blush.gif

Second, the "hated car" is a 1996 Honda Accord
grin2.gif

The exact tire mesurement is 195/60/15

thanks

Tirerack has the Kumho solus KR21 for $56ea + $40/4 shipping.
Yokohama avid touring s for $57.

Both have treadwear over 600 and are well regarded.

Doulas X tracs used to be their $30-35 tire perfect for cutlass cieras and other comfort-ride vehicles, but WM over the last couple years really jacked the price to a point where they don't really compete any more.

I've not heard of Douglas Tires so no comment on that. As far as hating Hondas and thinking Ford is the "only" choice, I suggest you open your eyes and ears......you might accidentally learn something in spite of yourself.

Check the Treadepot website out (below). $50.00 rebate on Generals, got the same deal for daughter's Civic in July. Got the HP's but RT's supposed to be good too. 50.00 off other tires now too.

You'll get a better choices, have them shipped and let Wally install. I'd bet you'll make out better.

BTW, I had a 96 Accord LX, liked it! Treadepot

If you love cheap tires, try tires-easy.com. Lots of cheap tires there. I could have bought tires for 30 bucks each.

The only "off brand" tires I would buy would be National or Republic. Those seem to hold up pretty well....

Cooper's other brands (Mastercraft, Dean) seem to hold up well for the price...

Good thinking getting rid of the Honda in a couple years. They're nothing but trouble. You might want to go with the cheapest tire from a great name to help you unload the vehicle more easily. Michelin's Harmony tire is a good one--less than $100 a tire, says Michelin on the sidewall, and lasts for [censored] near forever.

If you're too cheap for Michelins, have TireRack drop ship some Kuhmo Solus KR21's to a bargain installer in your town. Less than $60 a tire, and they'll wear well enough to still look great when it's time to sell.

i run douglas extra trac's on my sidekick. no problems .i just looked at the new version at wal-mart----they suck.the tread design would seem to trap water and mud in the center of the tire.unlike the original version that had open channels to the outer edge of the tire.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
i run douglas extra trac's on my sidekick. no problems .i just looked at the new version at wal-mart----they suck.the tread design would seem to trap water and mud in the center of the tire.unlike the original version that had open channels to the outer edge of the tire.

Someone said the same thing about their ranger...

I put a set on my old Bronco deuce a while back.
Was planning on selling it , and needed some "rim savers" cause the BFG's were whooped.
Paid $40 each for a set of 235-75-15's.
Ended up keeping the old girl, and the xtra tracs did just fine.
Even 4 wheeling up in the mountains above Silverton Co.!
They did quite well even OFFroad.

Ironicly i ended up replacing them for a set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S's that feel "squirrely" on pavement, and sold the old Xtra Tracs for a hundred bucks!
30,000 miles, for only $60!

Not bad eh?

Originally Posted By: OAS
I put a set on my old Bronco deuce a while back.
Was planning on selling it , and needed some "rim savers" cause the BFG's were whooped.
Paid $40 each for a set of 235-75-15's.
Ended up keeping the old girl, and the xtra tracs did just fine.
Even 4 wheeling up in the mountains above Silverton Co.!
They did quite well even OFFroad.

Ironicly i ended up replacing them for a set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S's that feel "squirrely" on pavement, and sold the old Xtra Tracs for a hundred bucks!
30,000 miles, for only $60!

Not bad eh?

Not too bad...

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Doulas X tracs used to be their $30-35 tire perfect for cutlass cieras and other comfort-ride vehicles, but WM over the last couple years really jacked the price to a point where they don't really compete any more.
thumbsup2.gif
I have all four Douglas' on the cavalier and a $75 replacement tire ended up costing me close to 90 with everything else added on. I rotated them like the vehicle owner's/sucker's manual said to and now all four are egg-shaped.
mad.gif
They are so far out of warranty it isn't worth going back. when I can get the money I'm off to Sam's Club for tires. Funny how the same company has garbage tires at their stores and decent tires (BFGs) at their wholesalers.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
Originally Posted By: eljefino

thumbsup2.gif
I have all four Douglas' on the cavalier and a $75 replacement tire ended up costing me close to 90 with everything else added on. I rotated them like the vehicle owner's/sucker's manual said to and now all four are egg-shaped.
mad.gif
They are so far out of warranty it isn't worth going back. when I can get the money I'm off to Sam's Club for tires. Funny how the same company has garbage tires at their stores and decent tires (BFGs) at their wholesalers.

On a Cavalier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back