Handgun choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Can some of you help me with this. Many years ago when I was in the UK I used to shoot for recreation. At that time I had a SW .357 and a .44. That was a while ago though, so now I am somewhat out of touch. In your view, what do you think is the best value for money hand-gun these days for just range shooting?

First, are you more of a revolver guy or a semi-auto pistol guy? I am more th former and prefer the Ruger GP-100 .357 or Super Redhawk .44 Magnum. Smith and Wesson makes the 629 .44 mag and it is also a great gun.

I am not a good person to ask for advice on semis. Many seem to like H&K or Glock semis.

For personal protection, I always prefer a revolver...just my personal choice. Small snubby .357 is easy to conceal, you can leave it loaded forever and for the most part revolver ammo can hit harder than a lot of pistol ammo. If a cartridge fails to fire in a revolver, just pull the trigger again and another round comes up.

Some folks like to buy a .45 ACP semi-auto pistoal and also a revolver that fires the same ammunition. Then you have two guns that fire the same thing.

The best value for money handgun for just range shooting? No doubt about it....a .22. Probably a Ruger semi-auto. Can't get much more of a value than .22 shooting.

I have only ever used revolvers. My problem on this subject is that I don't even know what I don't know. That's why I'm looking for advice.

I read where 50% + of LE has a Glock 22 .40 cal. They use Winchester Ranger SXT or equivalent ammo.

SO my vote is for the G-22

Try some of these sites...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums
http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php
http://www.rugerforum.net/
http://proguns.proboards.com/index.cgi?
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

They might be better than an oil site for your questions.

The choice of a weapon is a matter of personal preferences.
What the weapon will primarily used for. Target shooting, hunting or personal protection.
Total cost of ownership. The weapon + all the support equipment that in necessary to maintain the weapon. Holster(s) cleaning supplies, storage, any "permitting" fees. and most of all the cost of feeding the weapon (ammo).

Revolvers are more reliable than semi-autos. Semi-autos hold more ammo. Small revolvers are harder to conceal than small semi-autos due to the width. etc etc etc.

Best bet for just a plinking gun is a .22lr revolver with a 4" or longer barrel. The .22lr semi-auto's are good too.

DO NOT ask what brand is the best. you'll get more pro's and con's per brant than you'll be able to stand. JUst go to a shop/range that leases weapons and try what they have. May cost a bit but it's better than purchasing a weapon and then discovering that it "ain't what ya really wanted".

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited:
S&W or Ruger .357. You can shoot .38 Specials for less recoil/ cost. Size is up to your needs. 6" will be best for range shooting.

If were talking value, I can't imagine shooting anything other than a .22 or 9mm. The rounds are just so much cheaper.

You'll have to decide what you want, but take a good look at ammo prices before you by. They're probably more than you're used to, and on the rise as well.

The best value handgun for range shooting would be a mid/large size stainless steel revolver such as the Ruger GP100, Smith & Wesson Model 686 or Taurus Model 608. These are versatile handguns that should last a very log time, are low maintenance and can shoot 38 special or 357 magnum ammunition, which are abundant and available just about anywhere.

If your heart is set on an autoloader, something in 9mm is probably your best choice if you are looking for cheap and plentiful ammunition. Just about every major manufacturer makes a good nine and choices are available from Beretta, Sig-Sauer, Browning, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson just to name a few.

For a range gun/home defense pistol I would stick with a service size gun. You will really need to spend some time at a gun shop or range that rents guns to determine which fits you best. If you have small hands something like the Beretta will be a handful and you might want to consider something along the lines of a 1911A1 type gun in 9mm or perhaps the Browning Hi-Power, a single action hi-capacity gun that is accommodating to shooters with smaller hand sizes. This may be a consideration if a wife/girlfriend wishes to use the gun. Both Browning and the 1911A1 have lots of available aftermarket parts if needed as they have been in production for a very long time.

If your budget is especially tight Ruger makes several decent 9mm's including models in stainless steel that are moderately priced. Some of them are not the best aesthetically speaking, but they are sound reliable guns. If you choose an auto, expect a good auto it will likely cost a bit more than a revolver.

In summary I'd stick with a 357/38 in revolver and 9mm in autoloader because of availability of cheap ammo. If you can afford it get something in stainless as it helps with maintenance. Lastly stick with a service size weapon as they will be more comfortable to shoot if you plan to use the gun as a house gun or target shooting.

Smith K frame .22 cal. with target sights and use target ammo. Shoot all day for the price of one box of .357.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I have only ever used revolvers. My problem on this subject is that I don't even know what I don't know. That's why I'm looking for advice.

If you like Revolvers, get one of, if not thee best.

.357 mag Colt Python.

Hi,

Can some of you help me with this. Many years ago when I was in the UK I used to shoot for recreation. At that time I had a SW .357 and a .44. That was a while ago though, so now I am somewhat out of touch. In your view, what do you think is the best value for money hand-gun these days for just range shooting?

Wow, that was some time ago, anything like that is banned over there nowadays!

Hey, I'm impressed, Whitewolf. Your quesiton was actually fairly well bounded and consise. Most people ask "What's the best ..." and leave it at that. But you actually stated you want a value-conscious range-only weapon.

That in mind, you still have to choose between revolver and semi-auto. Several options as to rim-fire or center-fire. For just plinking, you can't beat a .22LR, either wheel or semi-auto. Of note, there are plenty of good wheel guns out there; choose your brand. In semi-auto, the S&W422/622 or Ruger MkIII are good guns, even when used.

I guess the most important thing to note is that because you're only intending to use this at the range, then the caliber and "life dependency" are lower on the consideration list. I'd find a few good used guns to choose from, and make your selection after that. No sense buying a large, new gun when you're just going to play at the range. Then after some "re-affirmation" with the sport, you can step up to some other choices.

I'm a Ruger fan. I own 3 revolvers. Single 6 .22, a SP101 357 snub, and a Super Blackhawk. I would recommend the GP100 if you are looking for a range target gun. They are easy to work on and you can get the action cleaned up for pretty cheap. Get a 3-4 lb spring set and someone that knows how to hone the trigger and it will shoot really nice.

In the auto area, I recently picked up a Springfield XD.45. I'm really happy with it, feeds reliably and shoots straight. The trigger is nicer out of the box compared to a glock (the glock is 8 lbs and the XD is 5lbs.)

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

.357 mag Colt Python.

+1
IF you can find one.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Hi,

Wow, that was some time ago, anything like that is banned over there nowadays!

Yes, it was somewhere about the late 70s to early 80s.

Originally Posted By: 47HO
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

.357 mag Colt Python.

+1
IF you can find one.

Finding one's no problem... anteing up for one is the hard part!

Originally Posted By: Oil_Can_Harry
The best value handgun for range shooting would be a mid/large size stainless steel revolver such as the Ruger GP100, Smith & Wesson Model 686 or Taurus Model 608. These are versatile handguns that should last a very log time, are low maintenance and can shoot 38 special or 357 magnum ammunition, which are abundant and available just about anywhere.

If your heart is set on an autoloader, something in 9mm is probably your best choice if you are looking for cheap and plentiful ammunition. Just about every major manufacturer makes a good nine and choices are available from Beretta, Sig-Sauer, Browning, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson just to name a few.

For a range gun/home defense pistol I would stick with a service size gun. You will really need to spend some time at a gun shop or range that rents guns to determine which fits you best. If you have small hands something like the Beretta will be a handful and you might want to consider something along the lines of a 1911A1 type gun in 9mm or perhaps the Browning Hi-Power, a single action hi-capacity gun that is accommodating to shooters with smaller hand sizes. This may be a consideration if a wife/girlfriend wishes to use the gun. Both Browning and the 1911A1 have lots of available aftermarket parts if needed as they have been in production for a very long time.

If your budget is especially tight Ruger makes several decent 9mm's including models in stainless steel that are moderately priced. Some of them are not the best aesthetically speaking, but they are sound reliable guns. If you choose an auto, expect a good auto it will likely cost a bit more than a revolver.

In summary I'd stick with a 357/38 in revolver and 9mm in autoloader because of availability of cheap ammo. If you can afford it get something in stainless as it helps with maintenance. Lastly stick with a service size weapon as they will be more comfortable to shoot if you plan to use the gun as a house gun or target shooting.

IMHO, this is great advice, and more or less what I've done. .22 is a great option too just for plinking.

I started with a .22 rifle, then a .38/357 lever rifle. I then moved to a .38/.357 S&W revolver. Great match as then I could fire a decent rifle and revolver at the range.

When I went into the SA area, I went for 9mm because of cost. I have bought a 1911 .45, because it is a classic weapon that has lots of parts, ammo, etc. around. It is not as economical to shoot though.

For pure simplicity, and so long as you are aware and OK with the lack of a classic safety, a Glock 17 or 19 is hard to beat, IMO. Simple, reliable, cheap, light, readily available, etc. Otherwise, a S&W or ruger revolver, in .38 if that is your preference...

Good luck!

My AMT Lightning and Ruger 22 are great plinkers. Cheap and fun to shoot.

Ruger GP100 .357(spits a little) but great with .38 and +P ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back