Ubuntu with dual-core processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

do you need anti virus with ubuntu?

Depends. I have never run AV software and have been using linux distros exclusively for 8-9 years; never a problem. All the AV software we run @ work on linux and unix systems only seems to detect Windows viruses that are moving from one machine to another THROUGH the linux/unix machine.

So if you forward a lot of attachments to people who have Windows machine, you might want to be a good citizen.

That being said, not one person i know who runs linux uses AV.

Last edited:
Quote:

I didn't realize dual-processors weren't utilized by default.

I think this is a boot up parameter and doesn't have anything to do with running processes.

Quote:

$ uname -a
Linux u710 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
$

SMP=multiprocessor kernel; the kernel is what determines MP ready, not any rc script.

Still looking into it....

I only have a HT processor, so I can do any testing.

Run "top" and then hit "1" while it is running and it will show you how many CPUs it believes it has.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJC
I didn't realize dual-processors weren't utilized by default.

I was quite sure that during installation or for LiveCD use, your multicore or multiple CPU's would have been detected and the SMP kernel used automagically.

It should already be using all of your cores. Im running a Phenom II 940 (Quad Core) and ubuntu 8.10 uses all of my cores. Unless you somehow managed to hit somekind of weird bug. Which in software is never impossible. What version of Ubuntu are you running.

Originally Posted By: adam123
Unless you somehow managed to hit somekind of weird bug. Which in software is never possible.

Quote of the day right there folks (once edited for accuracy)!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'm running 8.04. Since I transfered the drive over from a non dual-core processor, I thought it might not be optimized. Even though it did seem to recognize the cores right away.

Screenshot-SystemMonitor.png

It's certainly possible. The command wouldn't hurt it either way, somebody with more Linux knowledge would have to jump in to say for sure, wither or not the kernel would automatically compensate.

Thanks Mystic, I've a member over there too. As simple gifts and on of the UB posters mentioned, it appears boot related.

The concurrency variable only applies to the init scripts. Those are the little programs that run to get the machine going when you turn it on and to get it shutdown correctly when you want to turn it off. Usually they run one after the other, but if you change that variable then they try to run all at once. That has NOTHING to do with how many CPU cores/chips get recognized. If the System Monitor shows two CPU lines in the graph then you are all set. Frankly, I'd just leave it alone. The best that might happen is that the computer boots a few seconds faster. The worse case is that you get weird, unreproducible issues and the boot actually takes longer.

DISCLAIMER: I've been running Linux for 13 years, long before it was this easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back