Dollar store oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While picking up a few things for a get together later this week, I noticed something. Motor oil. (Don't laugh too much, I don't look..but being a BITOGer now..)

Bottle said City Star brand 10w 30 only.

Does anybody buy this stuff?

i wonder if it is like that SH-rated stuff I saw not too long ago at dollar tree. personally, i wouldn't trust it.

The City Star oil at the BP gas station near me is API-SA rated. Not fit for your lawnmower.
Check the back of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: hal
SA? [censored]! is that even legal to sell?

Yes it is perfectly legal. It's used in classic (circa WWII and prior) engines of collector cars.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
The City Star oil at the BP gas station near me is API-SA rated. Not fit for your lawnmower.
Check the back of the bottle.

That's pretty much what I thought...

For dying beaters, I guess....

Some small engines like air compressors ask for non-detergent oil. So it does have uses. Your car engine is not one of them though, not even if it's a dying beater.

If it happens to be SL/SM rated, though... should be fine. Check the label.

It wouldn't be on the shelf if nobody was buying it. My guess is that most of it does go in dying beaters.

I shop Dollar General, and I am sure some car collectors do too. I doubt they buy their oil there. I don't.

Non-detergent in small engines? Is it better for them, or just that you can get away with it?

Originally Posted By: labman
It wouldn't be on the shelf if nobody was buying it. My guess is that most of it does go in dying beaters.

I suspect a lot of non-detergent oil goes in present day cars. I used to live in the big city and sometimes frequented the 7-11 type of convenience stores. I used to see women who go into the store and buy a quart of this sh*t for their cars. I really felt sorry for their car engines.
Like already posted. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I suspect a lot of non-detergent oil goes in present day cars. I used to live in the big city and sometimes frequented the 7-11 type of convenience stores. I used to see women who go into the store and buy a quart of this sh*t for their cars. I really felt sorry for their car engines.

Well I guess better that than no oil at all.
crazy2.gif

i wouldnt use recycled oil if you gave it to me.they still have a long way to go with recycled before i would trust it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
i wouldnt use recycled oil if you gave it to me.they still have a long way to go with recycled before i would trust it.

but what is any of this based on?

i`ll tell you what max,you can use it in your car.how is that?? i`ll stick to what i`m using thanx.

Last edited:
well, yeah obviously. i just was trying to get an update on the stigma surrounding re-refined oil.
just a heads up, re-refined feedstock is already refined motor oil and a percentage of synthetic (say what!?). that's right!
virgin crude feedstock is at least a percentage asphalt, wax, tar and sulphur. just some food for thought!

Very true...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Very true...

ok dave,and kruse, to satisfy my friend max wander,why wouldnt you use it?? i never did answer his question re: this recycled [censored].but the reason i wouldnt use it is because i have had friends try it,with bad results.no personal experience only my one friend said he would never use it again.so yes,it is simply here-say(word of mouth)for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
ok dave,and kruse, to satisfy my friend max wander,why wouldnt you use it?? i never did answer his question re: this recycled [censored
.but the reason i wouldnt use it is because i have had friends try it,with bad results.no personal experience only my one friend said he would never use it again.so yes,it is simply here-say(word of mouth)for me.

This seems to have split into two different subjects. Re-refined oil and non-detergent oil.
I'm not going to comment on the re-refined oil. I suppose if they got all the contaminants out, and put the right additives back in, it might be fine.
I will comment on the non-detergent oil that I have seen on the shelves of so many convenience stores; oil that is targeted to the people (especially uninformed women) who only buy a quart of oil when the oil light came on. I believe Caterpillar started to demand detergent oil way back in the '30s and the oil standards have only increased since then.
Would any informed BITOGer put non-detergent oil in their present day car?

I'd use non-detergent oil if I were in the middle of East B**%$K Egypt and I really needed some engine oil in an emergency. In this case, detergent vs. non-detergent oil would be the least of my worries because there are bigger issues going on.

I look on non-detergent oil like those space-saver spare tires. It's there to get you out of an otherwise tough situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back