Question about Caterpillar ELC antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this doesn't offend Dexacool or Cat fans but I need to ask it.
It is my understanding that Caterpillar ELC is OAT antifreeze.
We all know Dex-cool is OAT.
Will Caterpillar ELC attack gaskets and turn to sludge and jelly like Dex-cool?
I am running Caterpillar ELC in a Cummins Dodge and two Kubota diesel tractor engines and the more I read about OAT more I'm inclined to flush it out and use Zerex G05.
If Caterpillar ELC won't cause the problems of Dexacool please explain how they are different.
Thanks in advance.

What antifreeze does a Cummins Dodge and a Kubota diesel tractor call for? For some reason I can't see Chrysler recommending a GM antifreeze.

Caterpillar ELC should be manufactured by Texaco. I personally would not use an ELC fluid without an antifreeze fluid filter.

I really just like the idea of a low silicate antifreeze pre-blended formula changed every few years with a quality additive like Fleetquard for diesels.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What antifreeze does a Cummins Dodge and a Kubota diesel tractor call for? For some reason I can't see Chrysler recommending a GM antifreeze.

Read post again, I'm not using GM antifreeze, I'm using Caterpillar ELC and I'm asking if it will cause the problems that Dex-cool does since their both OAT.

Both Cat ELC and Dexcool inhibitor packages are 2-EHA based and will attack plastic and silicone gaskets.

That said, why would a huge entity like Cat with their enormous engineering resources pick a 2-EHA based antifreeze? Because if you ensure that the coolant is not in contact with plastic and silicone gasketing then the problem disappears. I assume that that is exactly what Cat has done.

Cummins had an advisory out against using 2-EHA based coolants in pre 2001 (I think)engines because some silicone gasketing was being degraded by 2-EHA. Post 2001 the problem was rectified. So it is going to depend on the age of your Cummins.

I use Detroit Diesel Powercool Plus or G-05 in the diesel engines I maintain. Neither of these are 2-EHA based.

Thanks George,

Your answer confirmed what I've been thinking about Cat ELC. I bought the Cat ELC before I knew it was OAT. I am going to G05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back