***? 5w20 in the Ford Ecoboost Turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I see nothing wrong with 5W-20, but with the HP the SHO will be producing with the twin turbos, and knowing how it will be driven, under the 5W-20 on the oil cap in big print it should say SYNTHETIC. Just my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing, they might spec a 5W20 synthetic in the OM. They might even change over to a 5W30 for the final production if additional testing and engineering tells them otherwise,although I seriously doubt that. We'll know soon enough, it's all speculation at this point.

Nice car! Best Taurus yet. I wouldn't worry about what an oil filler cap for a car that's not in production yet.

If I remember reading corectly, the Ecoboost engine was designed for 7500 mile dino OCI's (but the SHO version may be a bit different).

This engine has twin turbos, so neither produces a HUGE amount of boost, so there isn't that much strain on the reciprocating parts - the turbos are power 'supporters' not the main way the engine makes power. Just a guess. It probably will also have a sump capacity of over 6 quarts, so more oil to take the stress.

But, I agree with others, I'd use syn. in it for extra peace of mind....

Snakeoil = 5w20 hater. How many more "5w20 vs. anyting" threads are we going to see? I thought we were over this 3 years ago?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
This engine has twin turbos, so neither produces a HUGE amount of boost, so there isn't that much strain on the reciprocating parts - the turbos are power 'supporters' not the main way the engine makes power. Just a guess. It probably will also have a sump capacity of over 6 quarts, so more oil to take the stress.

But, I agree with others, I'd use syn. in it for extra peace of mind....

That's not the way it works. Each turbo produces the same amount of boost, whatever the boost guage reads, boost isn't split in half. Turbos tend to increase low and midrange torque a lot which will put more of a strain on everything, especially rod bearings.

I think the problem is twofold. One is the high heat that will be developed. That 20wt will easily be a 10wt after some hard running. The other is the low HT/HS associated with the 20wts in a high specific output engine. If I were buying that car it would have at a minimum a quality 10w-30 or thicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
That 20wt will easily be a 10wt after some hard running.

I doubt this. A 10W oil is extremely extremely thin. A 20W oil is 5.6 - 9.29 cSt. It would have to go under 5.6 to be a 10W. I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Snakeoil = 5w20 hater. How many more "5w20 vs. anyting" threads are we going to see? I thought we were over this 3 years ago?

Actually I'm not. I'm a hater of manufacturers choosing a grade of oil for CAFE and then saying that everyone from Alaska to Death Valley should use it.

Everyone's situation is different. Different climate and usage. Urban cowboys that use a truck only to get groceries and drive to work would have different needs than someone that tows 10,000 lbs worth of construction equipment in southern weather everyday.

A blanket statement for one grade of oil is about as dumb as giving a blanket OCI.

I think that 5w20 is a great oil for people that DO NOT fall under severe service conditions in extremely hot weather.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I seriously doubt Ford would spec a 20 grade oil if they felt they would have problems. I'm sure they tested the engine, and are certain it will work properly on a 20 grade oil.

Considering Ford still has one engine that they recommend 5W30 for, you're probably right. They still say to use 5W30 in the 4.0 V6.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I seriously doubt Ford would spec a 20 grade oil if they felt they would have problems. I'm sure they tested the engine, and are certain it will work properly on a 20 grade oil.

Considering Ford still has one engine that they recommend 5W30 for, you're probably right. They still say to use 5W30 in the 4.0 V6.

Glad we agree. If you have a 4.0L Ford engine then using a 5W30 would be the best choice. I have to believe the engineers want these engines to last, especially a newer design. Reading these threads can sure get a person to second guess himself. But as many of the BITOG experts have said in many of these similar threads stick to the MFG's recommendations, I still think that is the best way to go.

Not to beat a dead horse, the car isn't even out yet, so final production could lead to the use of another oil if the engineers feel it necessary. JMO

I don't know if a 5w20 is going to be ideal for the long term, but that is a big, ugly car. 355hp isn't nearly enough to move that beast. Hopefully they over-engineered the motor and you can just crank up the boost for more power.

With 263 horses it gets to 60 mph in a hair less than 7 seconds. It might do 5.7 or 5.8 if it doesn't bog at launch.

wait for a look in the owners manual. if it comes w/ 5w20, i bet 5w30 will be listed in it for "severe service". too bad people never read owners manuals.

Isn't it for economy that this and many other newer engines uses 5w20. Also how do you know what a car thats not even sold yet has its engine as its only redeeming feature.

The car does look good I think, to bad I don't buy Ford Cars or little SUV's. Their pickup trucks would be a maybe.

Originally Posted By: Anies
The car does look good I think, to bad I don't buy Ford Cars or little SUV's. Their pickup trucks would be a maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

To bad you are narrow minded, shame. I check out all the manufacturers when car shopping.

Originally Posted By: SnakeOil

I'd expect a comment like that from someone in a blue state, all things considered.

What does that have to do with it? I live in a blue state and we have some of the largest volume GM and Ford dealerships and a much larger percentage of domestic based autos on the road...

And while it is ignorant to completely pass by Ford without any research on what they've done in Europe, I have to blame them for this to a degree...

They have highly rated, great cars over there such as the Mondeo (the Euro version of the Taurus mid-sized sedan that is a bit smaller) and a different, much more refined Focus that is a generation ahead of the US one and is considered the better of its Asian and German based competitors...

I'm not sure you can blame Ford for that. Honda does the same thing with the Accord. Apparently the home market Accord is the first generation Acura TSX. The North American market has not always supported some of the cars that do well in Europe like a smaller Taurus or small hatchbacks.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I'm not sure you can blame Ford for that.

I do! There's no real reason for their short-sightedness. The Euro generation three Focus is a world beater that Ford arrogantly considered too refined and pricey for this market. So they shafted North America by just changing the sheet metal on a car that hasn't had a real update in ten years in stead of bringing over the update in 2005.

A mistake they shall rectify in 2011 or 12...

Quote:
Honda does the same thing with the Accord. Apparently the home market Accord is the first generation Acura TSX.

Because there is no Acura in Japan as the Japanese have no need for "luxury" branded cars to make themselves feel better about what they drive. Also, the Japanese typically drive smaller versions of cars and they have to be expanded and widened to be brought here...same with the Mazda6...

Quote:
The North American market has not always supported some of the cars that do well in Europe like a smaller Taurus or small hatchbacks.

True. But Ford would be in a much better position if they hadn't just dropped the old long in the tooth Taurus in favor of rebadging the 500. The Mondeo is smaller than what North Americans are used too, and Ford already has a winner in that class with the Fusion (the new 2010 hybrid is said to be spectacular!). Supposedly both the Mondeo and Fusion will be almost identical for the next model refresh in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back