obd code reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its my first post so take it easy on me.

I have a 04 honda civic and i'd like to get a code reader. What would you recomend? I'd love to have a fancy laptop job but i don't want to spend that much.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Scanguage II can read codes AFAIK. it is pretty "basic" but gives lots of information and other useful things.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Scanguage II can read codes AFAIK. it is pretty "basic" but gives lots of information and other useful things.

The gauge function look pretty cool. I'm a boat engineer and i'm used to looking at gauges all day long. I kinda miss them in my car and truck. For less than $200 is it hard to use? I'm thinking why spend 100 on the basic reader and then install real gauges for a nother 100 when i could just use this. Thanks,
Greg

Group buys for that scangauge lowers the price dramatically. I use it on four or five different vehicles, because it is easy to use and accurate. There are many other options, but that is an easy, good one.

Will it read all codes? I have the factory service manual to decode, just nothing to read with.

I am looking at the $240 US Innova 3160 which can read live streaming data, be updated by PC, display captured data on PC (limited duration) and read ABS/transmission codes for domestics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
I've got the Actron CP9180, bought it new on Ebay a couple of years ago. I like it, easy to use, pc compatible, good price.

I got the CP9185 read live streaming data, be updated by PC, display captured data on PC ,good cheap little scanners does what a DIYer needs nothing more,updatable via the web too.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Will it read all codes? I have the factory service manual to decode, just nothing to read with.

I am looking at the $240 US Innova 3160 which can read live streaming data, be updated by PC, display captured data on PC (limited duration) and read ABS/transmission codes for domestics.

Get it. That is a great tool and supports CAN also. I've got one and use it all the time. I use it more than my FACTORY scan tools (Tech 2, DRB) and that should tell you something.

Originally Posted By: daman
i was looking at the 3160 too but it don't do OBD I so i passed
on it,i need I and II capability's.

True. I also use an Auto Xray that is great and does do both OBD 1 and 2. Check them out. I am a scan tool junkie - got 12 of them!

I bought an Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool from Amazon. Paid $79 for it including shipping. Does OBD II and CAN. Figure I saved about $700 on repairs last year on my cars and one at work. Great investment!

what is can?

CAN: Controller Area Network, a newer OBDII protocol on newer cars starting model year 2008.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
what is can?

CAN: Controller Area Network, a newer OBDII protocol on newer cars starting model year 2008.

And most manufactures started even before the 2008 requirement. Some GM models started as early as 2005.

I have a Scan Gage II. Right now I am fighting my temperature gage going to the peg. Yes, I can see that no codes are set, and the actual temperature. Should I be able to ''With the Scan tool, preform the Coolant Gage Sweep Test.''

Originally Posted By: labman
I have a Scan Gage II. Right now I am fighting my temperature gage going to the peg. Yes, I can see that no codes are set, and the actual temperature. Should I be able to ''With the Scan tool, preform the Coolant Gage Sweep Test.''

No. You cannot run any diagnostic tests with that tool. You need the OEM GM Tech 2.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: labman

No. You cannot run any diagnostic tests with that tool. You need the OEM GM Tech 2.

OK, a disappointing answer, but likely true.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
what is can?

Almost correct. All vehicles must support CAN as of 2008, but many vehicles supported CAN in earlier years.

Its a much faster and more comprehensive transfer of data than the original OBDII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back