***? 5w20 in the Ford Ecoboost Turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would 5-20 be a suprise? ford has used 5-20 ln most gas engines since 2001 and all gas engines since 2004 including super duty trucks with the v-10. with possibly one or two exceptions.
I can see the point some people have about older engines that were originally run on 5-30 being changed to 5-20 with no modification but if this is a new engine design you better believe I would run the specd oil

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I seriously doubt Ford would spec a 20 grade oil if they felt they would have problems. I'm sure they tested the engine, and are certain it will work properly on a 20 grade oil.

IMO, The car only has to last the expectant life consumers think it deserves. Gone are the days where we keep cars for more than 150,000 miles before we either expect to do repairs, it gets totalled, or we feel its just about worn out anyways, so we sell it, or toss it away and get a new one. If they (the car manufacturers) calculate that it can meet this expectation by cutting corners on various items, everyone perceives the process hasn't failed. Marketing is a powerful tool, the more credentials, qualifications (low maintenance, CAFE approved etc)you can put behind your product the better it is perceived.

My :2cents:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brian12

God that car is god awful ugly. It seems like the American manufacturers are trying to copy the japanese manufacturer's horrible styling.

Well, they can't ALL be Dodge Challengers I suppose...
grin2.gif

I think it's going to be a complete failure unless the price is competitive with the Accord or Camry. It will have to be [censored] good to succeed in a class above.

In case anyone missed it, this engine has twin turbos. It makes over 100 per liter. The SHO is the performance model. It will likely be tracked by some.

The oil and engine coolant are used to cool the turbos. Exhaust gas can reach well over 1,000 degrees. Before I get all the posts about how great 5w30 is...

Someone please tell me ONE application of CONVENTIONAL 5W20 in a factory turbo'd vehicle. When you can't think of one, don't bother replying.

This is a great looking vehicle and Ford is on a roll building quality vehicles at a valuable price. As a former Toyota loyalist I think Ford is a force to be reckoned with.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
This is a great looking vehicle and Ford is on a roll building quality vehicles at a valuable price. As a former Toyota loyalist I think Ford is a force to be reckoned with.

Welcome to Ford of Europe. Soon to be arriving at a dealer near you...

Originally Posted By: SnakeOil
In case anyone missed it, this engine has twin turbos. It makes over 100 per liter. The SHO is the performance model. It will likely be tracked by some.

The oil and engine coolant are used to cool the turbos. Exhaust gas can reach well over 1,000 degrees. Before I get all the posts about how great 5w30 is...

Someone please tell me ONE application of CONVENTIONAL 5W20 in a factory turbo'd vehicle. When you can't think of one, don't bother replying.

Subaru has recommended conventional oil for the WRX for years, but in the 5W30 grade.

I don't see what's the big deal about using 5W20.

I use 0/20 Motul 300v in my Subaru, and It makes ~200hp/L. ( 38x WHP on a Dynojet )

Not what Subaru says to run, but my engine obviously has not exploded. I have no doubt that the 0/20 I use is still thicker than what the dealer installs after 2000 miles..

Our local Subaru dealer installs 5/30 mineral in all it's cars.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

If this economy picks up, and people start buying cars Ford has a winner. As far as the 5W20 oil goes, they spec it, I would use it. If it blows under warranty they eat the repairs. I still think they have tested it extensively. They could just as easily screwed a cap on saying use 5W30, if they felt the need for it.

I see nothing wrong with 5W-20, but with the HP the SHO will be producing with the twin turbos, and knowing how it will be driven, under the 5W-20 on the oil cap in big print it should say SYNTHETIC. Just my opinion.

I suspect the actual production car (not using left over oil caps from the 500/Taurus?) will call for MC synthetic 5W-20 or syn blend 5W-30...

IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back