Yokohama Avid H4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

They ranked #1 in the most recent Tire Rack comparison test. On the Tire Rack online consumer feedback, they are ranked #6. Consumer Reports has them ranked #7 in the high performance all-season category with high marks for wet traction, dry traction, handling, hydroplaning and tread life.

I am considering these tires for my dad's minivan in the 215/65-15 size. Possibly a Corolla in the 195/65-15 size as well.

Thanks!

My brother in law has it on 1992 MB 500E. The tire is quiet, performance and handling are acceptable but not great for his high performance car. Tread wear is not good on his heavy car, it lasted only 25k miles, even tread wear is rated at 500.

For your two sizes, I think General Altimax is better buy. If you like Yokohama tires, I think AVID Touring S is better for minivan and Corolla.

I tried these tires on my Dodge Intrepid and didn't like them. A much better tire is BF Goodrich Traction T/A. I am on my third set. They come in 3 speed ratings H, T and V. One is a 50K tire and the other two are 60K tires. Great ride, wet traction, etc. Also I buy from discounttiredirect.com because they have better prices. Looks like their server is down right now but check the website when it is running again.

The General Altimax is not a contender since it is not available locally. I like having the benefits of free flat repairs, free road hazard and lifetime rotation and balancing, which are benefits that are only available if I purchase the tires locally.

The Avid TRZ seems to be a more practical choice, but I wonder how much handling I'll give up?

I bought a pair of V rated Yokohama Avids from Tire Rack for my sister-in-laws car. They worked fine, great price for a V rated tire. Were put on a Pontiac Grand Am GT.

I also had the Avid V on my 04 Accord. They were superior to the Michelin's that came on the car and much more quiet. I can't see you going wrong with these tires in the H speed rating.

We have the H4S on a 96 MB diesel. Good tires it seems. I may go with them on my Saab.

Are you sure the size of the tires is correct for the van? Our previa takes 215/60r15 H rated.

I would get the TRZ's over Avid Touring S tires. They have a longer tread wear warranty, have been out for a while and have wonderful reviews.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I would get the TRZ's over Avid Touring S tires. They have a longer tread wear warranty, have been out for a while and have wonderful reviews.

And dryrotting sidewalls?
LOL.gif

Not everyone has reported this issue. My friend had these on his vehicle with no problems. He loved them so much, he put them on his dads airport taxi vehicle and got many good miles out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back