OC fiasco. Shop overfilled sump. Opinions sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter took her 01 Civic with 126k, for an oil and filter change. I normally do it but she lives about 275 miles away, and had 6500 miles on this OCI, so she took it to a supposedly reputable shop.
Met her half way to her place today. Bitoger that I am, I decided to check the dipstick to look at the oil. Couldn't believe the level, way above the top fill hole. Checked it several times to make sure.

Asked her if she had the receipt, she did. It said 5qt's 10W30. I knew it wasn't 5 but it was far above the speced 3.7 qts. Told her we needed to swap cars so I could check it and drain if need be.

Got it home an drained about 12oz of oil on a guesstimate based on previous experience of difference between high and low holes (1 pnt.) Level now just above top fill hole.

The car was driven about 300 miles mostly highway speed with that level.

Question. Do you think any serious damage was done? Car seems to be running ok.

I'm also ticked that they didn't use 5w20. I researched this shop on the internet to help her.
06.gif
So I'm ticked at myself too.

You can bet the owner/manager will be getting a phone call Monday.

No harm done at all. If you really only drained 12 oz, that's less than 1/2 quart. I'd definitely call the shop and ask why something so basic was difficult for them, both the oil grade and quantity.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Saw some guy post earlier wondering if he should drain 3-4oz overfill.

Wife wanted to take it back and let them correct it. I said words to the effect, fool me once, shame on you...... Besides, I couldn't be there.

Old adage true, you want a job done right....

If you went back and complained, they would of left the drain plug just snug enough so that a few days later your daughter would be on the road and the plug would of fallen off and all the oil drain out.

Worry more about the struts leaking and auto trans in that 2001 Civic.

Heck, if I owned a car that only carried a paltry 3.7 quarts, I'd DELIBERATELY run it a bit over! No harm done.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If you went back and complained, they would of left the drain plug just snug enough so that a few days later your daughter would be on the road and the plug would of fallen off and all the oil drain out.
I actually said words to that effect, and the wife rolled her eyes.
LOL.gif
I've heard and read enough stories to know those types of things unfortunately do happen. She's way more trusting than me.
Worry more about the struts leaking and auto trans in that 2001 Civic.
Seems to be shifting well. Would I be able to see leaking struts?
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Heck, if I owned a car that only carried a paltry 3.7 quarts, I'd DELIBERATELY run it a bit over! No harm done.
I agree to the extent the overfill isn't enough to do anything harmful, like 3-5oz. But this looked almost as much as the distance between the low and high fill holes. That seemed a bit much.

When I had my Civic I always put in 4 quarts even though the manual said 3.5. I don't like having portions of things leftover.

If they were leaking you would see it. But if you bought the car used, theres is a good change that they have been replaced.

This is a well known problem on the 2001 Civic.

half a quart is nothing dont be too big a jerk with them, i alwaays add a half a quart over to my buddys cavalier cuz i know he will never change oil unless i do it and at least he can go awhile before it goes under minimum level...i would be more irritated with wrong visc... wal mart balanced my tires w/o bothering to knock off mud which resulted in my car shaking down the road going over 40....then they changed over my wifes winter tires and left them in car despite the fact i asked them to throw away and had paid for it...my mom just told me today they put in wrong lite bulb and she got pulled over cuz it wasnt working...last year my mechanic didnt change my cartridge filter on my sunfire and i didnt find out till i changed oil myself after 5500k on synthetic...it was the original supertech i put in, he only does napa and i noticed on receipt he never charged me for filter...back in 1986 a shady mechanic didnt change my oil or filter yet still found the time to charge me for it...oil doesnt get dirty after 5 miles....i rather have someone forget than be crooked

Have you drained/refilled the ATF yet ?
Have had that done twice. I know that only gets about 3 qts. I need to have it done again.
Originally Posted By: chet2
half a quart is nothing dont be too big a jerk with them...i would be more irritated with wrong visc
Now that the good members of BITOG have weighed in and said it's basically no biggie, I've calmed down.
cool.gif
But after initially looking at the dipstick, reading 5qts combined with 10w30 on the reciept, I wasn't a happy camper. I am now more irritated with the wrong visc.

I specifically chose this shop because it wasn't a fast lube type place, and had some good online reviews. She had gone to a fast lube/carwash combo and paid about twice what this shop charged, with a coupon I printed for her. So, I felt responsible. It's not like the car looks as if it hasn't been maintained.

On a side note, while I was under the car I just had to check the filter(back of engine). It was white, but all I could see was a UPC on label. I had a filter cap that fit so I loosened it slightly. First thing I saw Affinia, Gastonia, NC. I thought WIX. Turned it just a tad more and saw CarQuest(Wix). Good, I guess.

And I followed your escapades with your neighbor and Wally tire balance.

They probably put in 4 quarts and didn't let it drain thoroughly. I don't think any harm was done, don't worry about it. A lot of places put 5 quarts on an oil change receipt for billing purposes, but don't actually use 5 quarts.

My old car called for 4.5 quarts, and I used to just dump 5 quarts in. When I sold it with 194K, it was running great. Don't worry about it.

A friend of mine has a Scion that specs 3.9 quarts, and he actually takes the time to measure out .9 of a quart and put it in. If it makes him happy, I guess.

You will know when the struts leak, the wheels bounce like crazy (I thought a wheel was going to fall off). My son replaced his struts on his 2001 Honda Civic at about 140,000 miles.

I usually let a minor mistake like this go the first time. However, if you choose to use this shop again, your daughter needs to be more aggressive about demanding 5W20 for the fill, and negotiate any differences/issues in price, etc, before signing the shop order. Your daughter should also know that a 3.7/4 qt fill is all that should be provided, and question any other number on the receipt before she leaves the shop.

If you used a coupon, most of them generally indicate bulk 10W30 or 5W30 as the fill, so 5W20 would not be on their radar scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back