AC/Delco PF-48, ST and Napa Gold cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got a virus warning, today the link works?

I agree the Super Tech does look good. But with WalMart probably going to lowest bidder, who knows what the longterm quality will be? As I said, I use WIX or NAPA GOLD. Use them for 7500 miles with Mobil 1.

I would NOT use a ST when NG WIX are available,i've cut open a few st and there scary IMO,thin widely spaced media,paper or composite end caps what ever you may call it that tear off the ends of the media VERY easily just a [censored] filter IMO, why run something like that when a wix,ng is readily available for a good price. just MO i'll stick to my NG,UPF's and fleedgaurds.

I also was suprised at the SuperTech. The stamp on the metal plate and a red mark are identical on both the SuperTech and the AC/Delco..maybe they subed to the same person to make this lot.

The blob of glue and uneven spacing on the AC/Delco suprised me.

I just got a case of 12 NAPA Gold shipped to me for $39 (includes shipping) so for the few extra cents I wasn't going to chance the SuperTech.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry about the pic troubles.

I wouldn't click on that link guys. I got this warning from Symantec Endpoint Protection here at work:

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Security Risk Found!
Security risk detected: Trojan.Malscript!html
File: C:\Documents and Settings\redacted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Z804X3UZ\index[3].htm
Computer: redacted
User: redacted
Action taken: Delete succeeded : Access denied
Date found: Friday, March 27, 2009 3:43:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Many Corvette owners have reported noisy startups using the UPF-44 oil filter, which stop when they switch to another filter. I did see an increase in cold start oil pressure when using a WIX filter.

Just some info here. The only way you could see less oil pressure (on an oil pressure gauge located after the filter) is if the filter was restrictive enough to cause the oil pump to go into relief mode. Of course, cold start/running situations are where the pump will have to work harder to force the same positive displacement through the system, and therefore is when the added filter restriction is going to show up the best.

If there is enough pump pressure "headroom" between the pump's produced pressure at the inlet of the filter vs. the pump's relief pressure setting, then a more restrictive filter will not cause a lower reading on the engine's pressure gauge - the filter's restrictiveness will be "masked" by the pressure headroom. Only when the filter's restriction becomes great enough to eat up that headroom, then the engine's oil gauge will start to show a lower reading.

The oil pressure reading at the inlet to the engine (gauge located between filter outlet and engine inlet) is a direct indication of the volume of oil flow going into the engine. Of course the gauge goes up or down dependent on the oil viscosity and engine RPM. So when less engine oil pressure is seen with a more restrictive filter (all other conditions being constant - viscosity, engine RPM), then this means there is less oil volume going through the filter and engine.

It's a lot to chew on.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Yesterday I got a virus warning, today the link works?

I agree the Super Tech does look good.
+1 Curious thread. Got a pop up box warning in the middle of the screen. One of those where if you click anything, including X it goes full screen.

Got no virus warning on Norton av 09. Hit control alt delete, shut down screen. Ran quick scan, only cookies. Reopened, clicked again, this time no warning. Saw pics. Hope my computer doesn't lock up. I'll run a full system scan tonight.

Now, for the topic. The ST is clearly the most impressive of the three. Looks well made. Makes me wonder if all ST oil filter apps are made this well?

+1 on the ST. Good looking filter!

BTW... no warnings or pop-ups on my Apple iMac. That which does not kill you will make you stronger.

Nothing special about modern AC-Delco filters. Heck, you have no idea day-to-day what will be in the box or who made it. That SuperTech doesn't look like the e-core design of most current ST filter production.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Nothing special about modern AC-Delco filters. Heck, you have no idea day-to-day what will be in the box or who made it. That SuperTech doesn't look like the e-core design of most current ST filter production.

I agree with you. I used to be a diehard only AC/Delco filters for the quality. But since you can never tell who made them now and in having 3 of them fail on me (I posted about this before) I will never trust another AC DELCO.

I now use a NAPA Gold, M1 or Bosch and occassionally an ST.

The SuperTech filter was purchsed 2 weeks before the pics were taken. My Walmart rearranged there stuff and I didn't see them there yesterday, but I was kind of in a hurry. I don't think my usual Walmart is that good in this arena judging by what they stock.

my car takes cartridge-type filters, so i have the benefit of viewing the insides right out of the box. out of all the ones i've seen, i would DEFINITELY rate WIX to be the best. the pleats on them are very uniform and probably the largest amount of media, plus the endcaps are quality and its very well put together. worst would be a tie between Fram (paper endcaps) and STP (cheap filter media). Purolator, Bosch, Mann, and Mobil 1 filters seem to be good also. I'll stick with WIX.

Originally Posted By: hal
my car takes cartridge-type filters, so i have the benefit of viewing the insides right out of the box. out of all the ones i've seen, i would DEFINITELY rate WIX to be the best. the pleats on them are very uniform and probably the largest amount of media, plus the endcaps are quality and its very well put together. worst would be a tie between Fram (paper endcaps) and STP (cheap filter media). Purolator, Bosch, Mann, and Mobil 1 filters seem to be good also. I'll stick with WIX.

I've got a new CTS that takes the cartridge filter. Neat, clean oil changes! Believe it or not the FRAM cartridge filter looks to be high quality! Metal ends, nice pleats and wrapped in plastic to keep it clean. The STP was just dropped in a box and did not look as good. I don't buy fram filters - but this cartridge one for my car looked the best out of what was available so I tried it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Didn't have problems with the link. The Supertech filter is impressively built - don't know how they can sel them SO cheap.

The AC Delco one was very disappointing. That blob of glue is disgusting!

I believe in this case the Delco and the Supertech are both Champion Labs filters, so theoretically the Delco should have better media. But it sure don't look that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back