MagicJack - Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been using Skype for long distance phone calls in the US and Canada from Computer to Phone.

Was wondering if anyone is using MagicJack and their experiences with it?

Big + with Skype is that it works for Linux + it is software based from what I see.

Wal-Mart also sells a Zoom USB device where you can plug in a regular phone when using Skype. We just use a regular headset.

Another + is with Skype I can call free computer to computer anywhere in the world and use my webcam.

We were using the MagicJack but discontinued it. It interfered with certain programs on my computer and seemed to slow it down a little. Plus you had to be logged on to use it.

I've been using MagicJack for over a year now and have been pleased with it. It's not perfect, but then for $20.00 a year, I don't expect perfection.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
We were using the MagicJack but discontinued it. It interfered with certain programs on my computer and seemed to slow it down a little. Plus you had to be logged on to use it.

Johnny I had this same problem when I first got mine and then MJ released an update, then another and the problem never returned. It works very reliably now if you have the use for it again...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
I've been using MagicJack for over a year now and have been pleased with it. It's not perfect, but then for $20.00 a year, I don't expect perfection.

I have had very good luck with mine. I have had the odd dropped call or interference on the phone, but this is very rare like 1 call in 1,000 maybe. For the price I'm willing to let this go!

We use MagicJack with an HP thin client (running Windows XPembedded). As one of the other posted, for $20 a year, I guess I expect some hiccups, but overall, we are happy with the service.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
We use MagicJack with an HP thin client (running Windows XPembedded). As one of the other posted, for $20 a year, I guess I expect some hiccups, but overall, we are happy with the service.

Can this be taken from computer to computer, or are you stuck using a single computer with this service?

You can use it on any computer.

The poster just is using a dedicated computer for his magicjack. Sometimes VOIP programs like this can be a little hoggy on resources if you have a slower PC.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Can this be taken from computer to computer, or are you stuck using a single computer with this service?

I didn't like leaving our computer on 24/7, so I bought a thin client on eBay for $80 and run MagicJack on it. But, yes, as the other posted said, you can take the MagicJack with you on your travels or just plug it in to different computers (as long as they have a broadband connection).

I didn't like leaving our computer on 24/7, so I bought a thin client on eBay for $80 and run MagicJack on it. But, yes, as the other posted said, you can take the MagicJack with you on your travels or just plug it in to different computers (as long as they have a broadband connection).

I've thought about that too...how does it work?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I've thought about that too...how does it work?

I assume you are talking about the taking it on travels portion of my post. Just plug it into whatever computer you wish, magicJack will load the drivers, and you can start talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back