Function Equivalents for FOrd M2C-XXX Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season, the trans on my Ford 2810 tractor is due for a change. It's separate from the rear axle/hydraulic reservoir and is a "CRASH BOX" with no synchros. I'm looking for some expert opinions on using some readily available potential "functional equivalents" I have on my shelves now. The manual calls for the following:

M2C-86B (which appears to be in the ballpark 80W-85 GL4 oil)
M2C-159A/B (which appear to be 10W30 or 10W40 multi-purpose Ag oils)
M2C-134B/C (appears to be 10W30 multi-purpose ag oil)

I do not know what's in there now.

My main question is this: I have gobs of a GL4/GL5 rated 75W90 PAO synthetic gear oil. Any reason why this wouldn't work? I agonize a bit in wondering about cold weather performance. If I knew what was in the trans right now, I could make a prediction. Since it has no synchros, I'm not too worried about shifting performance with a 75W90 syn when warm, but I am when cold.

My second question is this: What about a THF (about a 15W20)? It would shift nicely at all times, but what about wear?

If I had to guess about what was in there now, by the feel and smell, I'd say it was one of the 10W30/10W40 grade multipurpose oils, or THF. If I had to put money on one, it would be THF. It has that "smell" and it has to be below 20F before the shifter gets even remotely stiff. It never gets what I would call "balky."

Opinions? Actual experience?

It's an '89, Johnny. Yes, THF is tractor hydraulic fluid, the type suitable for rear axle housings that double as hydraulic fluid reservoirs.As I mentioned, the transmission is separated fromt he rear axle/hydraulic reservoir.

I have a gallon of older Amsoil S2000 and a bunch of Royal Purple. The trans takes 13 quarts.

Jim,

This would just be an opinion as I have no actual experience with a tractor like yours. Since there are no synchros or soft metals to worry about, I believe I would give one of the 75W-90's a try. The pour points on the synthetic 75W-90's is better than most 10W-30's so I don't think you would have any shifting problems. For all practical purposes, an SAE 75W-90 is the same vis as an 10W-40 motor oil.

I just like gear oils with gears when they can be used.

Having a Ford 4000 with a crashbox and usage in sewere cold, i cant feel any shifting quality detoriaton when cold. infact i cant feel any shifting quality....
I use THF in my wich is topped of with a syn 75W-90 gl5 oil(15% or so). The gearbox doesent get hot either so syn´s arent prefered because of temperature either, but i will go with a syn 75w-90 GL5 next time.(Getting a 25 litre can for axle change in my Durango and the left over will go in the tractor)

ac_tc: Interesting. And a funny, but true, quip! The trans in my 2810 is VERY similar to your 4000 but I can definitely feel a difference when it's very cold... much stiffer. I just don't know what's in there now. The fluid was changed when I had it in for a PTO repair but they didn't specify what they put in. Doesn't smell like gear oil. Well, I'll be putting in syn 75W90 in this fall and see how it does over the winter! Thanks.

Jim, i have a couple of corrctions to do..
I dont have THF in my box i have STOU or maybe its called
UTF or something. But its basically a THF wich is allowed for engine use to.(10w-30 api sd/ce, gl4 and jd20c and some more)
it works like a charm actually! And okay it maybe a little stiffer when cold but not by much..its a [censored] to shift on the run anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back