I think I made the right choice, please affirm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, my 2000 Dodge Caravan has 92k on it, my inlaws borrowed it for a 2 thousand mile round trip. Oil had 1k on it before the trip and was at the full mark. Upon return, next morning when oil was cold, it was about a half court to 3/4 low. I had a brand new jug of Synpower to put in it, but put the 10w 30 Maxlife in instead. I've never noticed this van to consume oil until now. It doesn't leak anywhere, so i know that isn't the issue.

Given this, HM is the better way for me to go now?

Yes...use maxlife those dodge V6's in some years were notorious for using oil...just make sure it runs okay and it is not an intak/plenumn leak or something.

Johnny,
No, it had Valvoline Premium Conventional 5w 30 in it. I've only ever used conventional it it. Odly, I've never noticed this amount of usage in past years and never had to top off.

I'm not really a fan of HM oil, but this engine has to last me a long long time, so, for whatever the gimmicky advertising is worth, I'm going to be sticking with Maxlife. I may try another HM brand oil, but I'll stay with HM

Last edited:
Technically speaking, you don't need to add any oil until it gets at or below the lower hole/mark. It only needs to be with in the normal range, not full. The only reason to add more often is if the engine is known to leak/burn oil.

possibly they drove it really fast, which may cause some oil to be used. i would just wait until it goes a full quart low and then drain and refill.

Last edited:
Quote:
possibly they drove it really fast,

Ya, …there was a 2000 Dodge Caravan that blew by me at 110 mph last week.
LOL.gif

Sometimes highway driving can increase consumption because the engine runs at higher rpms.

No harm done. Also, Val conventional, Maxlife, and Synpower are all fine choices.

My only concern is that I really wanted to use the Synpower due to my wifes extremely short trips year round and especially in the winter, and I wanted the cold flow protection on those numerous short trips during colder months. I hope the Maxlfie in 5w 30 will perform closely with it's non-energy rating and having a thicker base oil.

Your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: strombony
Johnny,
No, it had Valvoline Premium Conventional 5w 30 in it. I've only ever used conventional it it. Odly, I've never noticed this amount of usage in past years and never had to top off.

I'm not really a fan of HM oil, but this engine has to last me a long long time, so, for whatever the gimmicky advertising is worth, I'm going to be sticking with Maxlife. I may try another HM brand oil, but I'll stay with HM

Well, you asked so here is my opinion.

Your van is mostly driven around town, short trips, etc. You loan it to the family for a highway trip and it came back a little low. To be expected in my opinion. The trip burnt off all the light ends that have been building up from all the short trip driving, i.e., condensation, fuel, etc.

If you would feel better using it, the Synpower would work fine for your van.

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
Quote:
possibly they drove it really fast,

Ya, …there was a 2000 Dodge Caravan that blew by me at 110 mph last week.
LOL.gif

Sometimes highway driving can increase consumption because the engine runs at higher rpms.

that was me.
19.gif
was it dark blue??
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: strombony
Johnny,

Well, you asked so here is my opinion.

Your van is mostly driven around town, short trips, etc. You loan it to the family for a highway trip and it came back a little low. To be expected in my opinion. The trip burnt off all the light ends that have been building up from all the short trip driving, i.e., condensation, fuel, etc.

If you would feel better using it, the Synpower would work fine for your van.

Johnny, thanks...
I still would like to know how Maxlife 5w 30 will perform in comparison to a full synthetic on short trips, with temps in the single digits and teens.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Hopefully you will have to wait until next winter to find that out. However I think it would work just fine.

I certainly hope so.
11.gif

Hey strom

If you look at the spec sheets, you can calculate the cSt of both oils. At 0F, the Synpower 5W-30 has a cSt of 1927. At 3.2F, the MaxLife 5W-30 has a cSt of 1953. Not a big difference.

The CCS of the Synpower is 4000 @-30
The CCS of the MaxLife is 5800 @-30
This is a much greater difference.

In your situations and circumstances, why not just go with 5W or 10W-30 full synthetic MaxLife? Get the best of both worlds. If it is difficult to find, NAPA and O'Rileys will order it for you, even in small lots.
banana2.gif

I thought of the full syn Maxlife. I'll have to see how much Napa would charge me for a jug of it. Anyone know?

Just called Napa, they can order Maxlife full syn, not in jugs, only in quarts... 7.19/qt. forget that!!!

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Yes...use maxlife those dodge V6's in some years were notorious for using oil...just make sure it runs okay and it is not an intak/plenumn leak or something.

Not the Chrysler-built v6 engines (3.3 or 3.8). Just the Mitsubishi-built 3.0 v6 that they used for many years. It was a real mosquito-killer. A whole binder full of TSBs never completely solved its problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back