CARB CLEANER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Morris never heard that one but going to try it.Got another set of carbs to try it on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Walmart supertech carb cleaner is ~$1.50 per can.
And my boss uses it all the time, and says it works better than Gumout and the store brand carb sprays. It also costs much less.

Carb rebuilding may not be right for the average DIYer.

Blast the intake with carb spray while running, run seafoam or a similar product through the vacuum lines, and use Tier 1 gasoline, avoid gasoline with any Ethanol if possible, put a can of Carb/injector cleaner in the gas tank occasionally, and that will make some improvements in the fuel system., and extend the life of what is already in there.

However, from what limited number of carbs I have seen, rebuilding is inevitable. Over 99% of the cars I work on are EFI, and on the few cars that have carbs, I am just doing simple maintenance work on. Most of those cars are from smog era cars with many miles on the odometer. I hardly ever see a muscle car, and if I see one, it is for replacement tires.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Be careful with putting this stuff on your hands. Skin absorbs, the stuff gets into the blood stream and ends up in the liver where the body trys to detoxify it. Long term....PROBLEMS!! Wear nitrile gloves when handling organics!
100% true!!! a friend of mine checked his blood with a friend doctor before,then soaked his hand in some carb cleaner and did an after.I forgot what the doctor looked for,but he did notice some level go way up.

Take off carb.
Place in dishwasher
Load with soap.
Run on heavy setting.
Have a few beers.
.......................................Clean Carb.

Or...Those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners work great too.

moe in wichita ks wd-40 is pretty good. but theres a co call
ed lps that has 3 lubes lps1, lps2, lps3. lps1 is like wd40 but better, lps2 is heaver. lps3 leaves a coatting that protects for one year outside. granger might have it. the first time i saw lps1 was at a trade show. they had a fish tank, and a bare light bulb turned on, and this guy reaches into the water and grabes the bulb burning. the trick is the socket and wires had lps1 on them, that kept the water off the conecters.

Dishwasher! useful for everything!
Might smell a little odd afterwards thou....
Toilet bowl cleaner, one of the few things thats effective
on the white stuff that ends up in the carb.
A good oilsoak will loosen the black grime on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back