Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Good day all, I just got a new set of tires and here are some pictures of my old Toyo Spectrum. As the pictures show, I will have to get my front end aligned. Do you all agree with me?

Does anybody know a good place here in Columbus, OH to get my car aligned?

I know Grismer Tire can do a 4 wheel alignment for 60 bucks. For some reason, my FWD Camry requires a 4 wheel alignment.

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Yeah, Grismer is a good operation. I've always been pleased with Grismer on the rare occasion I've needed a shop to take care of something for me. Just avoid the big chains like the plague. I've yet to experience, or hear, anything good about them.

Cheers

I assume the first two pics are the fronts? Wearing on the inside of the tire? That's how the tires are wearing on my car with my very noticable DIY autocross alignment. 2 degrees of negative camber and alot of toe out.
When you stop the car in straight line and look at how the fronts line up with the backs, can you see any toe out?
I really really doubt the camber has changed on your car so you could try a turn on each steering rod to give more toe in, or get it aligned.
I would leave the back end alone, those tires look very good.
Ian

Although there is room for adjustment in the rear of your camry I wouldn't sweat it unless you changed something like your struts. (Probably all that can be adjusted: Camber, by how the strut lines up with the hub.)

If you go in and pay for a front wheel alignment, they'll hook their doodads up to the rear wheels as part of the process... and usually for free tell you if you're out of whack as part of the upsell process. To touch with a wrench they'll charge.

Just for grins you can use a laser level like this one:

316FA4NWJ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just roll to a stop with your steering wheel perfectly straight, put the level at 4 and 8 oclock bulges of your front tire, and shoot towards the rear tire. The laser should hit the pavement just a few mm to around an inch outward of the rear tire.

You can also use the bubble part at 10 and 7 oclock to check your camber.

Insist beforehand and during the process that the alignment tech set the alignment at the center of each spec, not just anywhere within the spec.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Spend the extra $30 and get it done at a Toyota dealership. One of the dealerships in Columbus is only charging $89.95. Just go the dealership of your choice, and present the printout of the service special, they usually honor the coupon of a different dealership.

http://germaintoyota.net/Specials-Service.aspx

Do you know if they will do a good job with the alignment?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I assume the first two pics are the fronts? Wearing on the inside of the tire? That's how the tires are wearing on my car with my very noticable DIY autocross alignment. 2 degrees of negative camber and alot of toe out.
When you stop the car in straight line and look at how the fronts line up with the backs, can you see any toe out?
I really really doubt the camber has changed on your car so you could try a turn on each steering rod to give more toe in, or get it aligned.
I would leave the back end alone, those tires look very good.
Ian

Yes the first 2 pictures are the fronts but I rotated the tires once and they were the back. Rotation was done about 4000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'd check the front toe-in and add 3-4 psi to the tires. How much air are you running in them ?? How many miles on them ??

I bet if you rotated more often, you could get away with the alignment you have. Just my $0.02 Canadian.

I had 30 PSI all around as recommended. I drove about 13000 miles since I bought the car. The date code is 1104 on all 4.
Now with the new set I will rotate them every 5000 miles.

and thank you all for your responses.

Last edited:
9K on the back and 4K up front. Might be more a rear issue that a front. Depending on what you have adjustable on your car depends on how much things will cost in the end.

My guess is actually Toe as primary issue although camber may have contributed.

Front End Alignment -- Sets the front wheels in relation to each other. Steering wheel can be off. (this is because if level the steering wheel and set them to each other it disregards the rear wheels completely)
Thrust Alignment -- Sets the front end in relation to each other relative to the rear wheels with a level steering wheels. (live axle or rears close enough)
Four Wheel Alignment -- Sets all wheels in relation to each other and the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back