Hardrive conpatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for you, I checked the temperature reading from the SMART info (presumably the same info from "hddtemp," since I have no other idea where it would get such information). The drive is running at 32*C = 89*F. The CPU temperature, read from the embedded controller, is 46*C, for reference.

I put it under heavy load to see if I can turn up the heat. I'll let you know what it gets up to.

Last edited:
OK, so after, what, 20 minutes of heavy random seeking and reading, I managed to work up the temperature to 39*C = 102*F, as per the SMART reading. IMO this is totally reasonable. Especially considering that the load I just put the machine under would never typically occur in casual day-to-day use. Also, FWIW, all power-management is off and it's connected to the AC supply.

Also, I'll spare you my thoughts on Dell computers, but you might imagine that I don't think highly of their designs or build quality. Not that I'm sure I'd buy a new Lenovo, either. I was much happier with the older IBM-era designs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
OK, so after, what, 20 minutes of heavy random seeking and reading, I managed to work up the temperature to 39*C = 102*F, as per the SMART reading. IMO this is totally reasonable. Especially considering that the load I just put the machine under would never typically occur in casual day-to-day use. Also, FWIW, all power-management is off and it's connected to the AC supply.

Also, I'll spare you my thoughts on Dell computers, but you might imagine that I don't think highly of their designs or build quality. Not that I'm sure I'd buy a new Lenovo, either. I was much happier with the older IBM-era designs.

Not a big DELL fan here either, for the obvious reasons.

Sounds like that system has some decent cooling, or the frame on the chassis pipes the heat away from the drive well.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Only issue that has come up with the 7,200RPM drives is heat production; they make more. How well ventilated is the chassis of this notebook?

This is a valid point.

At issue though are number of platters in drive. More platters equal more heat generation.

Last generation of 320 Mb drives generally have two 160 Mb platters, whilst latest models will have higher density 250 Mb platters for either 250 Mb or 500 Mb drive capacity.

A single 250 Mb platter will have lower power requirements, less heat generation and better performance.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Only issue that has come up with the 7,200RPM drives is heat production; they make more. How well ventilated is the chassis of this notebook?

This is a valid point.

At issue though are number of platters in drive. More platters equal more heat generation.

Last generation of 320 Mb drives generally have two 160 Mb platters, whilst latest models will have higher density 250 Mb platters for either 250 Mb or 500 Mb drive capacity.

A single 250 Mb platter will have lower power requirements, less heat generation and better performance.

So you are saying that the Hitachi 320GB is two platters and I assume that my WD60GB is just one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Originally Posted By: Iain

This is a valid point.

So you are saying that the Hitachi 320GB is two platters and I assume that my WD60GB is just one.

Yes to the former and probably to the latter question.

Also, to be pedantic my earlier reply should read Gb in place of all Mb designation.
33.gif

I ignore when GB and MB get mixed up. The mistake that is hard to ignore is the misspelling for this thread.
I wrote conpatible instead of compatible. My brain knows the spelling but my finger thought it knew better.........

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Hardrive conpatible?

How's conputer crime working out for you?
wink.gif

I was wondering when the dreaded spelling/grammer Police would show up? Moribundman
blush.gif

Hey oily, can you make a hard drive explode remotely, just curious and cost is not a issue.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Hardrive conpatible?

How's conputer crime working out for you?
wink.gif

I was wondering when the dreaded spelling/grammer Police would show up? Moribundman
blush.gif

Just be glad I didn't mention the "hardrive."
grin2.gif

Anyway, since so many guys are so sensitive here, I will only tease those who I believe can take it. The folks who can spell don't get normally annoyed or angry if someone points out their typos. The clowns with a 4th grade education do tend to get all huffy, though. Just throw a rock and listen who squeals. I'm done throwing rocks at pigs.
wink.gif

So sorry your sample size of those type guys is so large that you can make that astonishing deduction. Admitted to throwing rocks at pigs, and what don't expect any snorting, gnashing of teeth, or getting run over and knocked down into the mudpit? Really? Guess can add delusion to the DSM IV list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back