Passat V6 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Passat GLX. It's out of warranty and due for an oil change. I've used Mobil 1 0w40 and Pennzoil 5w40 European formula. I liked the Pennzoil better as it seemed to require less add in oil between changes, and was less $'s. Now it seems that the Pennzoil is out of stock while they reformulate it. I need to change the oil in the next couple of weeks so I need another option.

What are some suggested alternatives?

Isn't it spec'd for diesel? Is that OK for gas engines? I saw somewhere that diesel specific oils can hurt the catalytic converter. Is that correct?

I run Castrol Syntec 0W30 (only available at Autozone and some Pep Boys) and mix in a quart of 5W50 on my V6 A4. Works nicely for me. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Are you "using" much oil between changes?
That would influence my decision.

I use about 1/2 to 3/4 qt per 3000 miles. I only drive about 6000 miles a year so I change the oil typically every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My vote would be Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. Great oil at a great price!

+1

Your Passat will run just fine with Rotella T in the engine. No need to spend more on "better" oil.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: addyguy
My vote would be Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. Great oil at a great price!

+1

Your Passat will run just fine with Rotella T in the engine. No need to spend more on "better" oil.

Or he could just use something that meets VW specs instead...
smirk2.gif

Personally, I would never use a HDEO in an engine that shows ANY amount of consumption. It may cost an extra $9 to do an oil change, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than potentially replacing a $2000 converter. WHY RISK IT? It's cheap insurance.

Go ahead and throw the dice with your own car, don't mess with other peoples...

I have an 03 GLX. Oils I've used -

Mobil 1 0w-40 & 5w-40
Castrol 0w-30 & 5w-40
Maxlife 10w-40
Rotella 5w-40
Royal Purple 5w-30 & 15w40

I'm currently running a 1:2 mix of Royal Purple 10w-30 and 15w-40. The older green Castrol 0w-30 was very smooth, but I had high lead wear using it, so I sold my stash. So far I like the Royal Purple the best. I consume less oil than the others, it's very very smooth and I get the best gas mileage with it, currently average 28.5 in mixed driving using Shell V-Power. It has a high TBN, so a one year change in your case would be no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ruleof72

I use about 1/2 to 3/4 qt per 3000 miles. I only drive about 6000 miles a year so I change the oil typically every 6 months.

I'd try Mobil Delvac1 5W-40 or Castrol SYNTEC 5W-40 or 0W-30 (both on sale at Autozone), but I'd only change it once a year at a 6000 yearly mileage tally. Just add when low...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: ruleof72

I'd try Mobil Delvac1 5W-40 or Castrol SYNTEC 5W-40 or 0W-30 (both on sale at Autozone), but I'd only change it once a year at a 6000 yearly mileage tally. Just add when low...

Most of my driving is short distance plus my lead #'s are little high (about 16-20 over 3000 miles or so). I'm a little leery of going a full 6,000 between changes.

I'll stop by the local Autozone or Advance Auto and see what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back