Barium 0
FUEL antifreeze 0.0
flash point in F 420
Insoluables % 0.3
SUS VIS. @210F 64.9
cST Vis. @100C 11.59
WATER 0.0
TBN 5.4

2005.5 A5 Diesel Jetta BRM engine...107,364 miles total 5,978 miles on sample...no additional oil added...no additional additives added. PULLED VC OFF TO INSPECT CAM WEAR PRIOR TO SAMPLE!!!Cam lobes showed moderate wear (edges very sharp) no visible damage to followers or rollers with #3 exhaust showing most wear...Added Bypass oil filter and magnetic drain plug at this oil change along with full bottle of ZDDPlus and will drain again and sample at 5K.....Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Is this your first UOA on this engine? Is Fe coming down or going up?

A fairly light 5W-40, just like Amsoil AFL 505. I'm not a fan for this application. I say try Amsoil DEO 5W-40.

Yes, this is the first UOA for this vehicle...I will do another in 5K since, (when I change the oil again) I have added ZDDPlus, DG bypass oil filter and magnetic oil plug...This was to get a baseline on the cam wear that I observed when I pulled off the VC 2 weeks earlier

I am following anything on this I can find because I have been using Motul Specific 505.01 (old stuff) and am now wondering what to use next since my stash is down to 3 liters. I have some Motul 5w-30, 507 oil that I just bought. However, I am more and more thinking of going with the Delvac 1.

On the iron levels, won't installing the magnetic plug distort the figures on the down side and not give QuartLow as much information as he wants?

His report of wear on the lobes really bothers me. I am at 73K on my 05 TDI.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner

On the iron levels, won't installing the magnetic plug distort the figures on the down side and not give QuartLow as much information as he wants?

"Sauce for the Goose"...I need to get as much of the particulate amounts of iron out of my engine as possible to protect the remainder of the engine from additional wear hence the DG bypass filter addition as well...I will always do oil changes in the future by both extraction and bottom draining (as this last oil change I got 800ml (drained into hospital suction casister) from the drain plug aftera very careful Mityvac extraction. 800ml by the way represents about 19% of the total oil capacity of the BRM and may be part of my problem. Additionally, I had removed the VC (again) for an experienced mechanic to inspect CAM prior to this UOA(Seems that I did not know what I was looking for when I did it at 100K) which also may account for the additional iron (but I think that it is just whistling in the dark). I will do a short change and UOA and see what trends appear (I will of course be able to see how much metal is on the mag. drain plug

You say you added ZDDP - what did you add it to. There is still a chance that this engine could have a life in line with what is expected of a diesel VW

ZDDP is not a ring or emission friendly additive. Times have changed. In NC I would switch to GRP III+ or GRP IV CJ4 oil. If you want to really use a very good additive in a CJ4 oil then choose one that has a modern chemistry or based heavily on Boron. there are several like LeBoron and Ceratec. Then choose a oil that is not dependent or low in Moly and Boron. Amsoil DEO has 0 Moly and Boron. The new Rotella T is a Moly Boron oil but very low less than 80ppm. A desired level is between 200-300 ppm. It may be to late at 200 ppm Fe at 100k+miles. Your next UOA will give a idea. Good Luck

Quick update....at the VW Gtg in Asheville in June I had 3 different VW gurus look at my cam....2 of the 3 said to have it towed the 150miles home....changed cam, followers etc at 112K and the followers were dished out but not critically...but the cam lobes were totally without the bevel and were so sharp that I cut my glove rubbing the edge...IT WAS TIME as those lobes were really starting to "machine" the followers...Breaking the new cam in with Moly assembly lube followed by Motul 505.01 for 30 minutes between 2000 and 2500 rpms...changed all filters and oil...Motul and Zddp for 500 miles then Mobil TDT with Zddp from here out with prob 5K OCI and when the cat clogs will remove it....if I don't before...EGR has already been deleted and would love to get rid of all of the emission [censored] as I can...UOA at this point prob has no value until the cam is completely worn-in but will def do UOA at 5K on 1st run of TDT w/zddp...I saw on your post at TDIClub that Rotella T was the mack daddy oil of the month...I thought it interesting because of all the "devotion" to Mobil TDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back