Finalist Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked for prices on tires today, and this "private" brand came up. 60 bucks a tire. 60k warranty. I was told that they are made by Cooper.

Now I know that Cooper makes Mastercaft,Dean,and Avon tires, but I have not heard of this one. Granted, It's an Indie tire store that sells the line of Cooper tires. So it is possible.

He also told me that they are pretty popular.

Has anyone tired this tire? Know if they hang it there?

They are just going on a base Cavalier (14s), so I am keeping an open mind....

My Jeep came with 3 "Sigma" brand "Stampede A/T" tires on it each with a defective China-made valve stem. The fourth tire is a Uniroyal, I'm assuming that the Uniroyal is on there because one of the defective valve stems gave way. All three other valve stems were leaking or cracked.

After replacing the valve stems in all four tires, I really can't complain about the Sigma tires, they do the job well enough. They are very hard and don't have great wet traction, however. Two of them also have a ridiculous amount of weight on them, but the ride is smooth so I'm leaving well enough alone.

That said, I'd have to save at least $100 to warrant buying a non-name brand tire. IMO, it's not worth skimping on tires.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
My Jeep came with 3 "Sigma" brand "Stampede A/T" tires on it each with a defective China-made valve stem. The fourth tire is a Uniroyal, I'm assuming that the Uniroyal is on there because one of the defective valve stems gave way. All three other valve stems were leaking or cracked.

After replacing the valve stems in all four tires, I really can't complain about the Sigma tires, they do the job well enough. They are very hard and don't have great wet traction, however. Two of them also have a ridiculous amount of weight on them, but the ride is smooth so I'm leaving well enough alone.

That said, I'd have to save at least $100 to warrant buying a non-name brand tire. IMO, it's not worth skimping on tires.

I guess it helps when you know who makes what. I know I won't do the 30 bucks a tire at discount Tire (which they do have in my size, but I also do not plan on paying 80+ bucks a tire for a old compact car either. I plan on taking care of those tires anyways. I think it also depends on what you drive.

Two co-workers are running private label tires (00 Neon-republic)(01 Focus-Sunny), on knock on wood, both seem to be holding up well.

My other cars are running Kelly Navs and Sumotomo Htrs, so the others are running name brands...I'm hoping they do well.

I'm thinking of checking these tires out tomorrow to see how well they are made....

Cooper Cs4s, Traction TAs, and Tiger Paws Touring are on the current list so far....

Tires are definitely something I just will not compromise on. Name brand, proven quality, tires ONLY for me. Well worth the extra $$$.

They might be made by Cooper, it's hard to tell. They are distributed by Del-Nat Tire (Delta tires, National tires, private brand) which looks to be a corporation that farms out production to various manufacturers.

I had some "sonar" tires on my dodge spirit that looked great, had lots of tread etc.

Looked them up out of curiousity and they were a private label tire with long warranty. Cool! So where was the compromise?

Snow traction! Awful! Beware.

I've run lots of generic/cheap tires: douglas xtra trac, multi-mile "apex", and they've been good in the snow. The difference is a shorter warranty, softer rubber, and maybe more sipes.

Look at your finalist tread pattern, if they skipped the sipes (squiggly best for snow), I'd keep looking.

Ok, I looked at them...for a cheap tire-they looked pretty good.

Whether they are made by Cooper or not, thet seem to have close to the same tread pattern as they Coopers themselves...they even had wear markers similar to my Sumos...

I've seen a few private brands, and it is the best one I've seen so far...

Since I don't put a bunch of miles of this car (it is the 3rd car), it makes it hard to but=y a tire taht will never see that treadwear warranty...I could get 40k tires..and I might get 40k out of them..maybe...

If the Goodyear Conquests on the car were not falling apart (It looks like tire rot on the front driver's side, I would just leave those on...5 years old or not.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Tires are definitely something I just will not compromise on. Name brand, proven quality, tires ONLY for me. Well worth the extra $$$.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I also considered those Goodyear Vivas, but they look like junk...even the Finalists looked great compared to them...

I forgot about the Pep Boys buy 3 get 1 free.

I wonder if they will do both the free tire and Cooper's 40 dollar rebate?

Never mind..I had to replace one tire...cleaned the other ones up...good to go!

I think I might look at Coopers next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back