Rear Strut Opinions? Gabriel Ultra vs Monroe Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be replacing the rear struts on my friend's 1993 Buick LeSabre next weekend.

Locally I can get Gabriel Ultras for $48 each and Monroe Gas Matics for $53.

Both have limited lifetime warranties, but the Monroe says I might need to buy their special hardware. It's only 5.99 per side, but still, that makes me want to go with the Gabriels.

Anyone have any opinion on either one of these?

thanks

They're probably referencing the strut mounts which you may as well replace since it adds an extra 5 minutes. Sometimes that can quiet noise.

Does that have the rear-leveling system? If so, I would advise going with the appropriate struts. Otherwise the back end may sit low.

If it's struts and given the said 2 options, I would rather go with Monroes than Gabriels.

I had too many bad experiences in the early to mid 90s with Gabriel struts to the point where I no longer consider them worthy even for the price you pay.

Lastly: to those who owns car that has independent suspension: everytime you replace a strut, even just for warranty-related claims, unless you are going by original OEM straight from the dealership, otherwise, chances are, you'll have to do an alignment.

In other words: If true OEM lasts you 7~10 yrs before they need to be replaced, as opposed to aftermarket ones that may prematurely fail in a year or 2 and ended up having to be replaced 3 times during the course of a typical OEM unit's service interval, at the end it would still costs you more for every time you service the struts or take it out for warranty exchange, it still ended up costing you more than buying high quality ones that provides very long service life during service intervals due to high costs in labour and re-alignment necessary.

Don't fall for false sense of economy.

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
They're probably referencing the strut mounts which you may as well replace since it adds an extra 5 minutes. Sometimes that can quiet noise.

Does that have the rear-leveling system? If so, I would advise going with the appropriate struts. Otherwise the back end may sit low.

It's actually referencing the bolts that hold the strut to the lower control arm. I was assuming a mount replacement would be needed, but the rear mounts appear to be in fine condition. If they do need replacement, they're $17 each, so not big deal.

I would go with Monroe Sensa-Trac over Gabriel. The bolts that Monroe is referring to are bolts that secure the strut to the steering knuckle. Sometimes they are corroded and need to be replaced.

Monroe also has a very generous warranty policy. If the struts wear out, they will replace them no questions asked. You just send in the proof of purchase and they'll mail you a new set. Most manufacturers only come defects, Monroe will cover normal wear.

Also, Monroe is running a promotion beginning April 1st. See the thread that I posted in the promotions forum. If you wait, you can get a $50 mail-in rebate for purchasing two struts. Rockauto is the cheapest.

My neighbor ended up going with the Monroe Gas Matics. I didn't replace the lower hardware. With the struts and upper mounts it came to about $150.

My general experience is that high-end monroes top oem quality. I've had oem shocks become useless by 60,000. I've had good experience with gas-matics and better with sensa-trak. Also good experience with kyb gr2, but didn't have car long after that.

M

Monroe's a decent shock. I like KYB myself. Can't speak for Gabriel, but both Tenneco and AvrinMeritor are OEM shock suppliers.

Monrow...especially the Sena-tracks come pre-worn out from the factory. The design is not good.

Koni is the best shock maker in the world and I will buy nothing less ever again. KYB are good for the price.

Underdamping a car is a bad habit of cheap shocks, that's why I say the come pre-worn.

bilstein > koni
kyb is very good for the price
monroe / gabriel = utter c-r-a-p, total waste of money

for a buick your options are oem, monroe, and gabriel?
doh!

Originally Posted By: gregmp
Monrow...especially the Sena-tracks come pre-worn out from the factory. The design is not good.

Koni is the best shock maker in the world and I will buy nothing less ever again. KYB are good for the price.

Underdamping a car is a bad habit of cheap shocks, that's why I say the come pre-worn.

Wouldn't it depend on the car?

I'm still deciding between KYB GR-2 and Monroe Sensa-Trac for my Saturn.

Normally they are both exactly the same price, so the choice is almost a no brainer.

However, Monroe is running the $80 off right now, and $80 is not a small amount of money. However, struts aren't something that are replaced very frequently, so it'd seem logical to purchase the best product available.

So the question is, are KYB GR-2 struts really that much better than Sensa-Tracs for most applications?

I used KYB's on a small car with excellent results. Totaled the car (driver error, not due to the struts!!!), and now the KYB's are running around Toronto problem-free on a similar car. If they can survive a crash problem-free, they're more than likely fine. They rode very well when I had them. Much better than the worn-out factory units. Control over bumps was very good, too.

A lot of people on the Pontiac Bonneville forums hate KYB and Gabriel with a passion and report excellent results with Monroe.

IDK...

Sounds like a serious case of YMMV.

The KYB GR-2 struts are popular on the Saturn forums. It's the strut of choice. However, there a few people who have used Monroe Sensa-Trac and they are also happy with the results. But it's hard to compare which one is better.

from my experience sensa-tracs are very soft and designed for a smooth ride, and they do ride smooth. KYBs are more of a firm "sport ride". When faced with your decision I bought KYBs but I like a firm ride.

KYB gr-2's are great, as are their AGX's (adjustable and much stiffer)

I'd definitely take Monroe's over Gabriels due to the warranty, but honestly i'd buy neither, would rather have oem or a better aftermarket brand.

Last edited:
I agree that Bilstein are fantastic shock. I forgot about them. They are in no way better than Koni for a re-sprung car or someone who wants adjustability.

I would get Bilstein for best ride and handling shocks. KYB's are stiffer, but do bot ususally ride or handle as well..they are cheaper though.

For most apps. Monroe is just wrong, unless you like soft wobbly rides...some do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back