Hardrive conpatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the one I have. The Hitachi one below is what I want to get. Will it work?

Manufacturer: Western Digital Corp.

Part number: WD600BEAS
General

* Device Type Hard drive - Internal hard drive
* Width 2.8 in
* Depth 3.9 in
* Height 0.4 in
* Weight 4.1 oz

Hard Drive

* Form Factor 2.5" x 1/8H
* Capacity 60 GB
* Interface type Serial ATA-150
* Data Transfer Rate 150 MBps
* Spindle speed 5400 rpm
* Buffer size 2 MB
* Hard drive compliant standards S.M.A.R.T.
* Features WhisperDrive, Shock Guard

Performance

* Drive Transfer Rate 150 MBps (external)
* Seek Time 12 ms (average)
* Track-to-Track Seek Time 2 ms
* Average Latency 5.5 ms

Storage Controller

* Type None

Reliability

* Storage Hard Drive / Non-Recoverable Errors 1 per 10^14
* Start / Stop Cycles 50,000

Storage Controller (2nd)

* Type None

Expansion / Connectivity

* Interfaces 1 x Serial ATA-150 - 7 pin Serial ATA
* Compatible Bays 1 x Internal - 2.5" x 1/8H
* Compatible Slots x None

Miscellaneous

* Miscellaneous compliant standards RoHS

Software / System Requirements

* Software type None

Environmental Parameters

* Min operating temperature 41 ?F
* Max operating temperature 140 ?F
* Operating humidity range 8 - 90%
* Shock Tolerance 900 g @ 1ms (non-operating)
* Vibration Tolerance 1 g @ 5-500 Hz
* Sound emission 24 dBA

Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 320GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

Specifications
Capacity (GB): 320

Interface: Serial ATA-300

Spindle Speed (RPM): 7200

Buffer Memory: 16MB

Average Seek (msec): 12

Average Latency (msec): 4.2

Track-to-Track Seek Time (typical read, ms): 1.0

Maximum External Transfer Rate (Mbits/sec): 300

Data Transfer Rate on Serial ATA: Up to 3000 Mb/sec

Form Factor: 2.5"

Discs/Heads: 2/4

Temperature, Operating (°C): 5 to 55

Temperature, Nonoperating (°C): -20 to 65

Shock, Operating: 2 msec (Gs): 400

Shock, Nonoperating: 2 msec (Gs): 1000

Acoustics Idle (bels—sound power): 2.5

Acoustics Seek (bels—sound power): 2.8

Type: OEM

Dimensions: 2.75" x 3.93" x 0.37"

I'm certainly not the foremost expert on the subject ,

but , swapping a SATA 300 in place of a SATA 150 should be just fine . I am thinking some of the early SATA drives had a jumper to force compatibility if the SATA controller was not capable of the higher rate .

I have installed several SATA 300 drives on older machines and not had any problems . YMMV ...

Just giving those specs a quick perusal, I'd say you'll be fine.

I am not terribly knowledgeable about SATA drives (it is the interface of the drive, in this case SATA, that is most important here for the sake of compatibility), but note that your current drive is SATA 150 and the new one is SATA 300. (The number refers to the maximum transfer speed.) I don't know if motherboards are going to be finicky about that, but I'd expect that the worst case scenario involves your entire SATA buss speed would be reduced to 150mbps *if* (if if if!) the motherboard only supports SATA 150. (Again, to reiterate, I have no clue how the SATA buss spec is implemented on a motherboard. The buss speed itself may be orders of magnitude faster than the drive's maximum, and this may all be moot anyway.) 150mbps is still stupid fast.

The drive will work fine...

You may have to put a jumper on the drive to limit the throughput to 1.5GBPS instead of 3.0GBPS if your motherboard doesn't support 3.0GBPS (SATA-II) ...

No worries!
wink.gif

It is for a Westinghouse laptop. I know ???????

The Hitachi should be OK quality wise I would think.....

It is $70 -$20 rebate.........I guess if it does not work internally I could make an external HD out of it.

Should still have a jumper to limit the speed, even if it's 2.5" Just check it out in the manual for the drive available on Hitachi's website.

Hitachi makes very good drives that are usually compatible with everything. I wouldn't hesitate to use them!

grin2.gif

EDIT: Found the information here, it's backwards compatible with SATA-I 1.5GBPS... See Here

It'll work just fine. I've mixed gens of SATA by the boatload without issue, never having to use a jumper.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It'll work just fine. I've mixed gens of SATA by the boatload without issue, never having to use a jumper.

Most M/B's will work without the jumper but I have come across some that won't see the drive at all without the jumper installed...

You are right though... Very 1 in a million situations.
wink.gif

Good to know about the Jumper.

Westinghouse 1.46 Celeron CPU Yonah I have no clue what motherboard it has? Can't find that in the manual or in Device manager?

ATI chipset RC410MD+ATE SB460
StevieC said:
The drive will work fine...

Last edited:
Should be close enough you won't notice a difference in Battery run-time.

Doesn't matter even if it's different!
wink.gif

Have a good one!

Only issue that has come up with the 7,200RPM drives is heat production; they make more. How well ventilated is the chassis of this notebook?

Only issue that has come up with the 7,200RPM drives is heat production; they make more. How well ventilated is the chassis of this notebook?

I have a 7,200 RPM drive in my Thinkpad that originally shipped with a 4,200 RPM (yes, 4,200 RPM) drive. Ventilation on the T40 models is below average. Yet, the thin case around the drive is cool to the touch and it has worked flawlessly for the past three years.

I have a 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD in my Toshiba Notebook and it's very warm. You can feel the heat right through the plastic casing that my palm rests on by the keyboard. (Hard Drive underneath)

Under normal use (as in, measured a moments ago) on AC power, the area above the drive is 87* (measured with IR thermometer) versus the side with two empty PCMCIA slots (basically hollow) which is 79*. Both are basically cool to the touch.

The drive I have is a Hitachi.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

I have a 7,200 RPM drive in my Thinkpad that originally shipped with a 4,200 RPM (yes, 4,200 RPM) drive. Ventilation on the T40 models is below average. Yet, the thin case around the drive is cool to the touch and it has worked flawlessly for the past three years.

How about installing hddtemp and checking what the actual operating temp of the drive is?

I have a DELL here that I just swapped out the cooked (literally) Hitachi 4,200RPM drive for a 5,400RPM WD. The drive hit 140 degrees. The computer was being operated on a bed. They've now learned that is not a good idea
grin2.gif

I had a client with a 7,200RPM Seagate that went bad in a DELL IIRC due to heat. The chassis literally couldn't keep the drive cool enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back