German Castrol 0w-30 at Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally pulled the trigger on GC 0w30 last night. 10 quarts, two K/N filters. They are on sale, 29.99 for 5 quarts w/ one K/N filter. Will run the oil in my Mazda MPV (2000) and Mazda3 (2007). Currently I am using MC 5w-30 in the MPV, and Pennzoil conventional 5w20 in the mazda3.

thumbsup2.gif

I've had some say it's too thick for my Mazda3, but in my experience, it was a great oil. Ran it for 6k and honestly felt it was one of the quietest runs I've had. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I've had some say it's too thick for my Mazda3, but in my experience, it was a great oil. Ran it for 6k and honestly felt it was one of the quietest runs I've had. Good luck.

Thanks for your note. How do you like the Synpower in your 3?

I better it really helps to quiet the Duratec's D.A.M.B. (direct acting mechanical bucket) cam followers

Can you elaborate on the DAMB?

It did quiet it though. A lot of folks said it was too thick, but to me, it did a fantastic job in the engine with no MPG loss.

What type of noise do the DAMBs create?

It did quiet it though. A lot of folks said it was too thick, but to me, it did a fantastic job in the engine with no MPG loss.

just like he said,the damb things will be quieter on it!!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114

just like he said,the damb things will be quieter on it!!
LOL.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I just came home from a trip and the AAP flier was in my mailbox, advertising many good deals including Syntec and the K&N filter....

Here's my question....

How good is the K&N filter. In the past, I have been a M1 or Pure One filter guy.

How about the K&N????

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
The K&N is very similar to the Mobil 1 filter

Since we know that neither K&N nor ExxonMobil manufacturers oil filters, they both might be made by the same company, although to somewhat different specs.

Originally Posted By: windeye
Finally pulled the trigger on GC 0w30 last night. 10 quarts, two K/N filters. They are on sale, 29.99 for 5 quarts w/ one K/N filter. Will run the oil in my Mazda MPV (2000) and Mazda3 (2007). Currently I am using MC 5w-30 in the MPV, and Pennzoil conventional 5w20 in the mazda3.

The flier I just got in the mail wasn't $29.99....but $24.99.

GC is still made in Germany. The newer oil bottles look slightly different. I believe the K and N is only 93% or so efficient. It says it on the box.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Is this GC still made in Germany?

If it is made in Germany, It will cleary say so on the back label of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Is this GC still made in Germany?

If it is made in Germany, It will cleary say so on the back label of the bottle.

Yes. on the back of the bottle, it still says "Made in Germany". On the front, it says "European formula".

As for the Duratec (or mazda MZR)'s DAMB thingy, it is on the noisy (on 5w20) side. And the only way to adjust valve clearance is to replace the bucket tappets, which requires to loosen the timing chain and remove the cam shaft......sigh. I do hope the GC 0w-30 can do a better job in quieting the DAMB.

The DAMB thingy is just the cam lobe directly push the bucket tappet which is mounted directly on top of the valve spring.

In regard to the KN filter, I don't know, I usually use MC 820S on my MPV, this is a good filter, cost about $4, it has the relief valve at the base end (filter meets engine). On the Mazda3, I used MC 910, and switched to WIX (NAPA)1215. The KN number is HP-1002, which is a tiny bit fatter and bit longer. The OE filter has paper endplates. go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: windeye

The flier I just got in the mail wasn't $29.99....but $24.99.

Go for it man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back