Best "Free" Spyware software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interesting if finding a good/great Free Spy-ware program that is effective and isn't a resource hog...any suggestions?

Thanks,

I hear Remote Spy and NetVizor are pretty good. Do you want to spy on family members or on employees?
grin2.gif

Spybot
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes

All 3 are free, only Spybot uses resources to monitor things, but not a lot, and all 3 search for different things. Using these 3 in conjunction with AVG Free, I've never had any problem do to spyware/adware/malware/viruses in the 7+ years I've been using them.

With free products, you're a bit limited because most don't have real time protection. The ones that do, like spyware terminator, aren't quite up to snuff IMO.

But there are several company's that offer great free scanners such as A-squared and Superantispyware.

I'll say it for the 783020238402304230th time though: the easiest and most secure way to beat all this craap is to use virtualization software like Sandboxie. Why scan for spyware/viruses when they can no longer enter your system?

Food for thought.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
With free products, you're a bit limited because most don't have real time protection. The ones that do, like spyware terminator, aren't quite up to snuff IMO.

But there are several company's that offer great free scanners such as A-squared and Superantispyware.

I'll say it for the 783020238402304230th time though: the easiest and most secure way to beat all this craap is to use virtualization software like Sandboxie. Why scan for spyware/viruses when they can no longer enter your system?

Food for thought.

Interesting...what the heck is Sandboxie and how does it work?
thumbsup2.gif
Also is there a web site that compares Anti-Spyware software as to their effectiveness, scan speed, and footprint?

Thanks everyone for their inputs so far. It is interesting a lot of these software I have never heard of before.
blush.gif

http://www.sandboxie.com

Basically it runs any program in a "sandbox", a virtual isolated area the program creates on your system. So while any program you use it with is isolated from the rest of the system, it's still fully functional. So if you're surfing the internet and pick up some spyware or a virus, once you delete the sandbox, the virus/spyware that was contained inside the sandbox also gets deleted.

Once you understand how it works and how to use it, it's easy as pie to use. It slows browsing a tad, but I can deal with that.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
www.sandboxie.com

Basically it runs any program in a "sandbox", a virtual isolated area the program creates on your system. So while any program you use it with is isolated from the rest of the system, it's still fully functional. So if you're surfing the Internet and pick up some spyware or a virus, once you delete the sandbox, the virus/spyware that was contained inside the sandbox also gets deleted.

Once you understand how it works and how to use it, it's easy as pie to use. It slows browsing a tad, but I can deal with that.
A few questions...1. Do you manually delete the contains of the sandbox when your done surfing the Internet or does the program delete the contains? 2. This sandbox area only pertains to web surfing...not email?
3. Does sandboxie software play well with other security programs such as anti-virus, firewall etc?
06.gif

Thanks

1) you can manually do it or set it to do it automatically when you close a program.

2) the sandbox can pertain to any program. ie you can run any program sandboxed, from browsers, to email programs, to microsoft word. The main intent is to use it for internet facing programs,

3)works perfectly with other security software. I find it particularly useful when using file sharing programs like Limewire. Run them sandboxed, and if you download a file that is a virus, your antivirus will alert you. Then, delete the sandbox, and voilla, the virus is history! That sams scenario works well for email as well. If you're running your email program sandboxed or you use webmail, and get en email virus and your antivirus alerts you, just delete the sandbox and it's gone.

Originally Posted By: Griz95
This almost sounds too good to be true...so what is the downside of using this software?
12.gif

Thanks,

The only downside I've found is it slows browsing down a tad. Plus, for the free version, there's a 5 second nag screen every other time you open a sandboxed program.

been running sandboxie for both of our desktops since yesterday. My wife is getting used to using it. She says she can't tell the difference. Love it so far!

Thanks for the feedback...nice to know how people feel about Sandboxie. I am just about ready to download it and try it out myself. It just seems so simple I can't understand why this isn't better know. You know the old saying...If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back