Redline 75W90 NS in Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a two-cylinder electric motor driven Campbell Hausfield compressor I've been using for over fifteen years now. It doesn't get very heavy use, maybe once or twice a week for an hour or two.

I hadn't changed the lube oil in a few years and decided to swap it out today. I had nearly a quart left over of Redline 75W90 NS (the non friction modified style) oil from the manual transmission on my truck. I used this for the compressor oil. The viscosity is comparable to the straight 30 weight the user's manual calls for.

Anyone want to tell me I've walked off the edge of a cliff here?

I think you walked off the cliff.

There's more to it than viscosity, you forgot the proper type of additive package needed.

If it's a piston type recip compressor you need a non-detergent oil or very low detergent oil with the proper anti-wear, anti-rust package. Differential lubes contains a potent EP package with a high sulfur content. Compressors ingest a lot of moisture so the compressor oil doesn't need the sulfur to make sulfuric acid. Emulsifiers are required to make sure the moisture doesn't reduce the lube properties.

Drain it and put in the specified compressor oil.

Last edited:
I don't have the knowledge MolaKule has but my eye did this when I read your info
shocked2.gif

Get that stuff out of the compressor Yesterday....If you don't like to change out the oil use Amsoil or Mobil synthetic.

Then if you leave it in for 2-3 years no big deal........might want to do a few flushes with some cheap dino oil first.

I don't get any sulfur smell from this particular Redline oil. Do all gear oils use a sulfur heavy additive package?

Uncle :). I picked up some Ingersoll Rand branded synthetic small piston compressor oil at the local Tractor Supply store today. $5 for a pint actually isn't too bad in today's crazy lube oil world. Last week we paid $8/quart for twelve quarts of Mobil-1 ATF. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back