Finally decided where to get tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I wish I still had some of our tax refund, I am glad I didn't get tires after all.

My wife and I got a membership at Sams Club and I searched their site for tires for my cavalier and the impala. I found 6 suitable for the 14 in size and 7 for the 16.

The only ones they had in stock were the BFG for both sizes. $307.28 for 14 inch install pkg, and either $394.52 or $411.08 16 inch install pkg. True I'll have to go elsewhere to get an alignment, but can't beat that price for BFGs. One place I checked wanted $391 for 4 Toyo 14 inch (just the tires) and $429 for tires only for the impala (can't even recall the brand it was some obscure Taiwan brand). I had the BFG Radial TA raised white letter tires on the cavalier a few years ago and they were decent in wet and snow, so I'll check these tires out when possible.
happy2.gif

My wife's Cav seems to really like it's new Kelly Nav Golds...and they have great grip in the rain. (so snow test so far)

We buy tires at BJs and have for years. Best price around us by far. However, you are limited to Goodrich, Uniroyal and Michelin. The tire folks at our store have been there a long time and are quite good and professional at doing tire work. I am always well pleased.

Even if you have to pay the $45 to join to buy a set of tires, it is still cheaper by far than any tire store around. Price includes everything; mounting, balancing , disposal, new stems, free rotation and any repair to punctured tires.

Last edited:
The bottom line when buying tires is to buy brand name tires you know and trust and to buy them from a place that is going to be able to handle road hazzards and rotations. This is why buying from a place that has thousands of locations across the country is a good thing. Most people travel outside of the general area and if the situation where to arise that they needed a puncture service or to have the tire rebalanced, they would be covered while out of town versus buying from your local service station.

The tires themselves though are warrantied from the manufacturer for defects in workmanship and quality and they also cover the issue with the treadwear warranty.

Just food for thought..

I have bought 8 tires from Wal Mart over the course of 5 years and I have never had a problem. Easy to order online with no money upfront and they ship free to the local store.

Bad thing about Sams is some of their tire shops don't seem very professional. Nice thing, though, is that there are a ton of them. I found two in our area with installers that I felt good about. The best thing, besides price, is the warranty and it's nationwide availability.

I've seen lower in-store prices than you find online, and the Michelin generics don't show up online (xradialDT, XradialLT).

The ones I mentioned above were the ones I saw listed on their site and were in stock at the branch we frequent. Just for reference for whenever we get the $ together for the tires. I generally don't care to have to order tires; I've seen the wrong size/brand come in when I used to work at a place in 90's when I was a clerk in a different department there.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Bad thing about Sams is some of their tire shops don't seem very professional. Nice thing, though, is that there are a ton of them. I found two in our area with installers that I felt good about. The best thing, besides price, is the warranty and it's nationwide availability.

I've seen lower in-store prices than you find online, and the Michelin generics don't show up online (xradialDT, XradialLT).

Our Sam's has had two of the same guys in the shop for probably 10 years now, and one has been there for about 5 years.

When I had to buy tires for the wife's van I checked every store around comparing prices and the cheapest I could find was $100 more than the Sam's price. I've been buying from them for 10 years or so--no issues and great prices.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
When I had to buy tires for the wife's van I checked every store around comparing prices and the cheapest I could find was $100 more than the Sam's price. I've been buying from them for 10 years or so--no issues and great prices.

Sam's is kind of weird when it comes to pricing. I had to buy three sets of tires last year and Sam's was dramatically cheaper than Tire Rack on one set, slightly cheaper on one set, and much more expensive on the last set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back